Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #162 (Read 32 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Good, hopefully they do something.

Here, a dog has to bite TWO people before animal control will take it 

Sadly, I'm pretty sure it'll take more than that here. But we will see.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

FreeSoul, hopefully animal control will take some sort of action.

sdWhiskers, I think that is fairly common. Seems like with the first bite, the owner always claims this has never happened & Fido has never as much as growled at a human.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think most states have a one bite free. FL has.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, I think that is fairly common. Seems like with the first bite, the owner always claims this has never happened & Fido has never as much as growled at a human.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed to learn that 2 years ago while I stood there with blood dripping down my arm.

onemile

Having two "last chance dogs" I am glad they got a second chance... but.. my dogs have never bitten a stranger because I am very very very careful to protect them.  They are not running out off leash and never have an opportunity for something like this to happen because I manage them and their bubbles and that is my job as their owner.

I also have been bitten by a dog while running and have some little white teef marks still visible on my calf.  The owner apologized and I didn't report it.  But if it happened a second time I would..

sdWhiskers

Having two "last chance dogs" I am glad they got a second chance... but.. my dogs have never bitten a stranger because I am very very very careful to protect them.  They are not running out off leash and never have an opportunity for something like this to happen because I manage them and their bubbles and that is my job as their owner.

I also have been bitten by a dog while running and have some little white teef marks still visible on my calf.  The owner apologized and I didn't report it.  But if it happened a second time I would..

I wish more dog owners were like you 

onemile

I wish more dog owners were like you 

it really is an owner issue. Even if your dogs are friendly, you don't have the right to allow them to run up to people who may not want to be approached by a dog. It's just rude.  But it seems like people feel entitled to let their dogs run all over the place.  If you have a dog with aggression issues your responsibility to keep your dog under control goes wayyy up.  But I hate the idea of euthanizing a dog who has bitten someone because in every other way, he might be the most special creature and just the best and brightest, most affectionate and loving, loyal, smart, goofy sparkly face... who happens to have this one little flaw...

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Last chance? Why are they last chance dogs, I guess I forgot how you got them but I assumed as pups with no history.. can't remember.

Sadly out here there are A LOT of stupid people, and some that just don't care.

Jetta bit my friend/stepdaughter Cindy 2 weeks ago. Right on the side of her butt. I was in the bathroom when she came into the house, Jetta is EXTREMELY protective when I'm in the bathroom, whether in the tub or using the toilet. She'll even behave more aggressively towards DH and try to block him from getting into the bathroom. My friend is still a little nervous when she barks ☹️

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

Last chance? Why are they last chance dogs, I guess I forgot how you got them but I assumed as pups with no history.. can't remember.

Sadly out here there are A LOT of stupid people, and some that just don't care.

Jetta bit my friend/stepdaughter Cindy 2 weeks ago. Right on the side of her butt. I was in the bathroom when she came into the house, Jetta is EXTREMELY protective when I'm in the bathroom, whether in the tub or using the toilet. She'll even behave more aggressively towards DH and try to block him from getting into the bathroom. My friend is still a little nervous when she barks ☹️

they are both from a rescue, which I didn't know at the time, takes dogs with issues that make them unadoptable... I am sure most of these dogs have bite histories from what I have learned about the rescue since then... the rescue refused to tell me anything about what happened in their previous lives so it's only a guess and I had no idea what I was getting into... but both have bitten friends/family members in my home.  

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

they are both from a rescue, which I didn't know at the time, takes dogs with issues that make them unadoptable... I am sure most of these dogs have bite histories from what I have learned about the rescue since then... the rescue refused to tell me anything about what happened in their previous lives so it's only a guess and I had no idea what I was getting into... but both have bitten friends/family members in my home.  

Yeah it can be tough, I have to constantly get on to the children when they're over at our house (outside or inside), they've got those extremely friendly/tolerant dogs that will let them do anything, even Rocky is extremely tolerant, and they think they can come and do the same with Jetta. Even when she gets in her crate to escape because it is her safe space, the extremely small ones will just try to climb on in there with her and I'm like "oh my freaking god kid, get the fuck out of there!". Luckily she's never bitten a kid, she occasionally bites DH but that is when he's working with her and testing her protective instincts, she's snuck up behind my brother and nipped him in the ass, and then my friend. Now, DH, my brother and on of my stepsons actually amp her up and antagonize her and shit - DH does it only when he's trying to push her and get her to switch from calm to protective mode in quick fluidity, he likes making sure she's going to protect me if someone ever comes at me. My stepson and brother just like to tease and taunt her, then they wonder why she goes after them. My stepson is now trying to work a little with her by getting her to sit and chill, which she quickly learns. My brother... eh, he probably deserved the love bite.

I've taken Jetta to my son's school a few times, and she'll stand with me waiting outside the school for Dorian, all the kids rush up to her and she is very friendly with them and even excited, though I have to watch her rear-end because one swift move and some of those 1st graders are on their butts. It's usually at home where she's a little more skittish around kids and loud towards adults.

PRs

Cyberic

it really is an owner issue. Even if your dogs are friendly, you don't have the right to allow them to run up to people who may not want to be approached by a dog. It's just rude.  But it seems like people feel entitled to let their dogs run all over the place.  If you have a dog with aggression issues your responsibility to keep your dog under control goes wayyy up.  But I hate the idea of euthanizing a dog who has bitten someone because in every other way, he might be the most special creature and just the best and brightest, most affectionate and loving, loyal, smart, goofy sparkly face... who happens to have this one little flaw...

I disagree. A dog must not bite a perfect stranger. I do not care how special the dog is. I do agree it is the owner's fault, but me, I don't want to debate who's fault it is, I simply absolutely, totally do not want to be bitten by a dog if I'm simply walking or running on a sidewalk or in a park. I'm obviously not talking about when on the dog owner's property. It is not a LITTLE flaw. Who wants to live in a place where random dogs can attack them?

My opinion.

Runshortii

I had a small dog run out at me the other day, the owner didn’t even apologize and only half assed tried to get the dog back to the yard while texting on her phone the whole time 

onemile

I disagree. A dog must not bite a perfect stranger. I do not care how special the dog is. I do agree it is the owner's fault, but me, I don't want to debate who's fault it is, I simply absolutely, totally do not want to be bitten by a dog if I'm simply walking or running on a sidewalk or in a park. I'm obviously not talking about when on the dog owner's property. It is not a LITTLE flaw. Who wants to live in a place where random dogs can attack them?

My opinion.

my flawed dog would never bite you simply walking or running on a sidewalk or in a park because I do not allow him to run free and approach people. he is leashed and under my control at all times.  random dogs can only attack you when the owners fail to follow leash laws. does that dog deserve to die because his owner is a moron? I don't think so.  nor do I think the dog down the road who bit me deserves to die.  should the owners be punished for allowing him to run out onto the road and bite me though? For sure

onemile

I had a small dog run out at me the other day, the owner didn’t even apologize and only half assed tried to get the dog back to the yard while texting on her phone the whole time 

there are a certain group of people who feel entitled to let their dogs go wherever they damn please. the park down my block is practically unofficial dog park with everyone letting their dog run all over because they are too lazy to walk their dogs, they just stand around and let them run.  I can't take my dogs for a walk in that direction anymore because they own the neighborhood and no one else can use it.

Cyberic

my flawed dog would never bite you simply walking or running on a sidewalk or in a park because I do not allow him to run free and approach people. he is leashed and under my control at all times.  random dogs can only attack you when the owners fail to follow leash laws. does that dog deserve to die because his owner is a moron? I don't think so.  nor do I think the dog down the road who bit me deserves to die.  should the owners be punished for allowing him to run out onto the road and bite me though? For sure

I agree with you about the "don't deserve to die". Really, I do. Whatever punishment after the fact is not even good enough, actually. A dog who attacks a kid, we've all seen pictures of those. Ok so what if you kill the dog? Kid is still in the hospital. Ok fine the owner? Kid is still in the hospital.

I just don't accept a dog biting someone who is doing something in a public place. I do not care the reason. So from where I stand, whatever measure will scare dog owners enough so that they act in order to prevent dogs biting people is the measure to take. A fine? Euthanasia? I actually think that none of these measures are strong enough for people to simply tend carefully to their dogs, but what else is there to make dog owners understand that it is important, very important, that people should not feel theratened and unsafe because they like to own a dog?

I'm not for or against specific measures AFTER the fact. Just whatever it takes so it simply does not happen. That's what I'm for.