Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #4 (Read 31 times)

LRB

ran 7.6 at an easy pace which is my new "longest run a while."  Felt ok during the run but right upper hammy/butt thing is sore after.  really hoping it calms down today...

I'm pretty much med free, and slower than slow, so if I ever run a race again, I shouldn't have to worry about violating any drug rules!

Awesome. Have you ever run the Hansons' hills? They have a 16 miler every March leading into Boston, it was my longest long run the year I ran it, working my way back up coming off of a debilitating injury.

RunningOnSand

Good afternoon! I just realized it is nearly 1pm. 

We got back from Mexico last night--what a great trip! I also managed to log 5 runs (I think?!) and almost 30 miles. WUT?! WOOT! I may be miscalculating but if that is the case, I blame the amount of booze I've consumed. Definitely time for a detox! Not really any drunkenness, but just booze every.single.day.  Have you guys ever done a formal detox or just clean up your diet?

I also realized that the reason yesterday's 6 were so hard was because I totally caught a stomach bug/quick fever. Ugh. So not great for traveling, but I'm grateful to be mostly over it. But now poor dh has it. Sad

I'm not HC (and I'm sure she has way more experience than I) but Docket, Cathe's workouts have wrecked me (in a good way). But anytime you try something new, that is out of the norm, it'll be hard AF. Hopefully HC will chime in later.

Whiskers, I like your veto. +1. Also, re: the Monas, according to this website  you start with the 90s ones at 5k effort and work your way down, so that the 15s are basically an all out sprint.  Sounds awesome. Big grin

I think I'll run pretty soon, somewhere between 4-6 miles. It's actually pretty nice outside, but because of the weird ice storms we had while we were gone, and all the snow, I'm a bit wary of the iciness and non-shoveled factor. TM it may be (watching something awesome--helps with the boredom factor).

LRB

Good afternoon! I just realized it is nearly 1pm. 

We got back from Mexico last night--what a great trip! I also managed to log 5 runs (I think?!) and almost 30 miles. WUT?! WOOT! I may be miscalculating but if that is the case, I blame the amount of booze I've consumed. Definitely time for a detox! Not really any drunkenness, but just booze every.single.day.  Have you guys ever done a formal detox or just clean up your diet?

I don't use the term detox, but hop on the wagon for 4 - 6 weeks a couple times a year to rein things in and to reaffirm my ability to control what I put in my body.

RunningOnSand

I don't use the term detox, but hop on the wagon for 4 - 6 weeks a couple times a year to rein things in and to reaffirm my ability to control what I put in my body.

Makes sense--I am in need of this after a most gluttonous December. Oy.

Half Crazy K 2.0

On the beachbody vs Kathe conversation:

HCK, is Cathe's workouts as hard as Beachbody's? Every time I try something different they end up being so easy and lame and not worth doing. I have heard great things about Cathe's ones.

I think her workouts are better than Beach Body. She has a number of just strength workouts that are great and easily can be made harder by going higher on the weights. Of her newer stuff, I really like the Ripped with Hiit: Lift It, Hitt It split workouts, the Push/Pull workouts from Fit Split. I also really like STS Total Body. The strength training from Fit Split are shorter than a lot of her older workouts, but they make a nice add on to run days.

If you want a long term thing, she has STS, which consists of 36 strength training workouts. These are splits, so might not be the best combo for running.

Her plyo legs workouts (from STS, Ripped with Hiit and Lower Body Blast) are way better than the plyo woorkouts from P90X. The only close comparison to a Beachbody workout is the weighted work in Asylum 2 that combines the plyo & weights, but I still think Cathe does it better.

I used her Live workouts last year for a bit, I think they are easier than her DVDs, which makes sense---she films 1 class per week in her gym and it is a diverse group of participants. Most of her home workouts are geared towards more advanced folks.

LRB

Makes sense--I am in need of this after a most gluttonous December. Oy.

You've done us all proud!

My December was virtually clean as those things go. I was cognizant of the post-holiday bulge so I was a boring good boy this year. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think her workouts are better than Beach Body. She has a number of just strength workouts that are great and easily can be made harder by going higher on the weights. Of her newer stuff, I really like the Ripped with Hiit: Lift It, Hitt It split workouts, the Push/Pull workouts from Fit Split. I also really like STS Total Body. The strength training from Fit Split are shorter than a lot of her older workouts, but they make a nice add on to run days.

If you want a long term thing, she has STS, which consists of 36 strength training workouts. These are splits, so might not be the best combo for running.

Her plyo legs workouts (from STS, Ripped with Hiit and Lower Body Blast) are way better than the plyo woorkouts from P90X. The only close comparison to a Beachbody workout is the weighted work in Asylum 2 that combines the plyo & weights, but I still think Cathe does it better.

I used her Live workouts last year for a bit, I think they are easier than her DVDs, which makes sense---she films 1 class per week in her gym and it is a diverse group of participants. Most of her home workouts are geared towards more advanced folks.

Thanks, I assume the first ones you mentioned are DVDs?

Thanks, Snow. Also, drinking daily requires practice Wink

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thanks, I assume the first ones you mentioned are DVDs?

DVD or digital download.

Cyberic

I want to run the Mona fartlek on Monday for the first time. What are the paces for hard/easy?

Hard to put exact paces on it, but here's my shot at putting paces to them.

The hard parts should get harder as the reps get shorter but the float recoveries shouldn't get slower.

So the float recoveries are at a pace maybe 10-15 seconds slower than MP. It's definitely not a recovery pace, and is also faster than your easy pace. You should stop "pushing" from the hard parts, but still stay pretty dynamic.

I'll do the 90 seconds between 10K and HMP.

The 60 seconds I go between 10K and 5K pace

The 30 seconds are faster than 5K pace

The 15 seconds are as fast as I can handle.

Remember the last 15s float recovery is part of the workout, so you don't relax straight after the last 15s hard.

Altogether the workout is 20 minutes, and so is short enough that you can push pretty hard.

The paces are just ideas. You can do it differently and it will still be good.

DavePNW

Are your liver and kidneys functioning properly? If so, you are already detoxing. If not, you have bigger problems.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Hard to put exact paces on it, but here's my shot at putting paces to them.

The hard parts should get harder as the reps get shorter but the float recoveries shouldn't get slower.

So the float recoveries are at a pace maybe 10-15 seconds slower than MP. It's definitely not a recovery pace, and is also faster than your easy pace. You should stop "pushing" from the hard parts, but still stay pretty dynamic.

I'll do the 90 seconds between 10K and HMP.

The 60 seconds I go between 10K and 5K pace

The 30 seconds are faster than 5K pace

The 15 seconds are as fast as I can handle.

Remember the last 15s float recovery is part of the workout, so you don't relax straight after the last 15s hard.

Altogether the workout is 20 minutes, and so is short enough that you can push pretty hard.

The paces are just ideas. You can do it differently and it will still be good.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks! Of course, I'll be doing it at 5am so hopefully I can not trip and die in the dark during the really fast parts.

Can you add something about this to the important links on the main page of the forum?

Cyberic

This is exactly what I needed, thanks! Of course, I'll be doing it at 5am so hopefully I can not trip and die in the dark during the really fast parts.

Can you add something about this to the important links on the main page of the forum?

Will do. I'll try to find a good article and put it up there.

onemile

I had a 16 mile workout run that I totally destroyed 

URP ran with me and we killed that bitch. I am feeling good about Houston.

DavePNW

Dave

LRB

As you should, that's a whole lot of crooked numbers!