Beginners and Beyond

WTF Wednesdailies (Read 31 times)

KCRuns

Howdy folks! Love hearing everyone's strategies for nutrition during marathons. I actually talked to a nutritionist about this b/c randomly I'd been experiencing energy crashes, severe stomach cramping, etc. after races and some runs.

So, she said it's a delicate balance of nutrition, water, and electrolytes. Her recommendation for a marathon (besides all the pre-race hydration and nutrition) is to take a GU (I take Roctane) at start, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 23 if needed. ALWAYS take the Roctane WITH about 4 oz of water if possible, and make sure to stay on top of it (as someone said, better too much than too little--don't want to bonk). Also, try to take the full water at every stop, b/c it's also important to stay on top of your hydration so you don't get stomach cramps. Since I'm usually a pretty heavy sweater w/salt dried on my face afterwards (yuck), I could also take 1 salt tab every hour, in between the GU. I have been practicing all of this on my training runs and miraculously, I have not had a bonk or a single stomach cramp since I've started. *Knocks on wood.* Also, obviously this may not work for everyone, but I thought some might be interested in this wonderful tidbit. Big grin

I would be cautious about this part, especially if the water stops are close together.  In training, I can drink more pretty easily even during hard sessions; however, in a race, my stomach starts to feel full and then I get nauseous if I take in too much.  This last time, I targeted every other water station and only drank to thirst, twice that was just a sip or two and once I grabbed a second cup.  But I did use the salt tabs and I think that helps a lot as well.

Cyberic

Ran a race week workout on my way back.

1600-1200-800 /5min. Felt good.

RunningOnSand

I would be cautious about this part, especially if the water stops are close together.  In training, I can drink more pretty easily even during hard sessions; however, in a race, my stomach starts to feel full and then I get nauseous if I take in too much.  This last time, I targeted every other water station and only drank to thirst, twice that was just a sip or two and once I grabbed a second cup.  But I did use the salt tabs and I think that helps a lot as well.

This is really good advice. Thank you!

DavePNW

Howdy folks! Love hearing everyone's strategies for nutrition during marathons. I actually talked to a nutritionist about this b/c randomly I'd been experiencing energy crashes, severe stomach cramping, etc. after races and some runs.

So, she said it's a delicate balance of nutrition, water, and electrolytes. Her recommendation for a marathon (besides all the pre-race hydration and nutrition) is to take a GU (I take Roctane) at start, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 23 if needed. ALWAYS take the Roctane WITH about 4 oz of water if possible, and make sure to stay on top of it (as someone said, better too much than too little--don't want to bonk). Also, try to take the full water at every stop, b/c it's also important to stay on top of your hydration so you don't get stomach cramps. Since I'm usually a pretty heavy sweater w/salt dried on my face afterwards (yuck), I could also take 1 salt tab every hour, in between the GU. I have been practicing all of this on my training runs and miraculously, I have not had a bonk or a single stomach cramp since I've started. *Knocks on wood.* Also, obviously this may not work for everyone, but I thought some might be interested in this wonderful tidbit. Big grin

I do a Gu at 6, 12, 18, 24. Depending where the water stations are, so I can wash them down. Take ~4 oz of water at every aid station, which is usually every 2 miles. Sometimes later in the race I will alternate water & gatorade, and/or take 2 cups.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I take mine at 4.5, 9, 13.5, 18 and 22.  No watwr? No issue for me.

Damaris

DavePNW

I know a lot of people take one right before the start, which seems like a good idea. But ha, not changing my routine now. Breakfast is typically ~2 hrs before the start (toast w/almond butter), then a banana ~1 hr before. That's probably good enough.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I like a banana 30-60 minutes before the start as well. Easy on the stomach.

I ran 6 at a local park in heavy gusting winds. I got to do a bit of fancy footwork to keep going straight.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4.5 miles. I had mapped out some races I wanted to do in the next few weeks, but am just not feeling it.

LRB, good news, thanks for not sharing pictures.

sdWhiskers, that has to be a rewarding feeling.

From the Internet.

Last outdoor club workout of the season :C Paired 800s, 200m jog between reps and 400 between each set. 3:14/3:13, 3:12/3:08, 3:12/3:05.

onemile

11 miles with 6x1 mile at 10k (6:20 avg), with 3 minutes jog between

DavePNW

I like a banana 30-60 minutes before the start as well.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

- Groucho Marx

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8 with 2 X 1 mile @ 10K pace. I chose 8:34mm (based on the range my coach gave me).  She was happy with the pace I chose but I felt like I could've done 10K PR pace (which seems so distant to me I never thought to try it, lol).

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...Also, try to take the full water at every stop, b/c it's also important to stay on top of your hydration so you don't get stomach cramps. Since I'm usually a pretty heavy sweater w/salt dried on my face afterwards (yuck), I could also take 1 salt tab every hour, in between the GU...

Look up hyponatremia, often caused by drinking too much water. Granted with all the salt you are taking that's probably not an issue, but have you ever considered you may be getting all that salt encrusted on your face because you are taking too much salt and your body is trying to rid itself of the excess?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

11 miles with 6x1 mile at 10k (6:20 avg), with 3 minutes jog between

Quite a workout.

Cyberic

8 with 2 X 1 mile @ 10K pace. I chose 8:34mm (based on the range my coach gave me).  She was happy with the pace I chose but I felt like I could've done 10K PR pace (which seems so distant to me I never thought to try it, lol).

You don't try to push the pace? I mean let's say I have a workout at a given pace, 8:34mm for example, I'll start at that pace, but if I think I can do better and still do the whole workout, I'll probably go faster.