Beginners and Beyond

SleepInThursDailies (Read 23 times)

sdWhiskers

Finally got some relevant communication from CIM.

- you must sign up for a specific time window at the expo (though I imagine not tightly enforced)

- only race participants are allowed at the expo.

- you must show proof of vax or 72 hr negative test in order to pick up your bib.

- there is gear check at the finish, but none at the start

- nothing stated about masks (not even on buses!), just that they will follow local COVID policies at that time.

Those of you who have run it know that race start is 7:00; buses from downtown leave at 5:00. 

They have 5 "self-seeded staging areas," aka corrals I guess. No further indication of how the start will work - whether each corral will go off all at once, and/or how much gap between them. I'm in #2 (optimistically), so hopefully not too much waiting.

To those who have run it, what's the starting area like - just one big mass of humanity?

In 2019, they had it broken up into 4 self seeded corrals, <3:05, 3:05-3:55, 3:55-4:15, >4:15. I either started in the very back of 3:55-4:15 or the front of >4:15. According to my log, I started at 7:07am. There was no time between the corrals.

Back then, you could just stay on the bus, go to the plethora of PoPs and return to the bus to stay warm at the start. I feel like dropping off stuff at gear check was the only mildly chaotic part. Downtown, the lines for the buses to the Start start forming well before the bus pick up time--I remember getting there like 15 min early and being near the front but within like 5 min, the line was blocks long. This might be different depending on which bus stop you're at (I was heading to probably the most popular one). One year I had a school bus, the other year was a Coach bus with a bathroom (!)

The expo in 2018 was few blocks from my hotel downtown. In 2019, it was halfway between the airport and downtown, so needed Uber.

LRB

LRB, make sure you don't get the pictures from his first scandal.

lol

Ted DiBiase is also involved, that's a name I haven't heard in decades!

But this guy is in Bart Simpson trouble:

"The former executive director, John Davis, must pay $96.3 million — which includes interest — for his role in authorizing more than $77 million in illegal welfare spending, Mr. White said."

LRB

Finally got some relevant communication from CIM.

- you must sign up for a specific time window at the expo (though I imagine not tightly enforced)

- only race participants are allowed at the expo.

- you must show proof of vax or 72 hr negative test in order to pick up your bib.

- there is gear check at the finish, but none at the start

- nothing stated about masks (not even on buses!), just that they will follow local COVID policies at that time.

Those of you who have run it know that race start is 7:00; buses from downtown leave at 5:00. 

They have 5 "self-seeded staging areas," aka corrals I guess. No further indication of how the start will work - whether each corral will go off all at once, and/or how much gap between them. I'm in #2 (optimistically), so hopefully not too much waiting.

To those who have run it, what's the starting area like - just one big mass of humanity?

Having run three point to point marathons, Boston, CIM and NYC; CIM was by far and away the simplest to navigate. The 5:00 am bus call is really no big deal at all. Aside from getting dressed and doing your normal pre-race business, you just really don't allow yourself to wake up or get too excited for any of the preamble. Once you're at the start line that's when you start loosening up and getting your head right. When I was there it was California cold, so they allowed you to use the bathrooms and get back on the bus. I can't imagine that would be any different even in this post-Covid world.

Just plan your morning as you normally would making sure you have enough calories to consume for the time you're killing before the race and you'll be good. Everyone else is doing it, so it's just a matter of not letting it annoy you, unless you feed off of that sort of thing.

LRB

Wait until you see the pictures from later in the race…

You have scored some of the best race pics in the history of the sport. That one with the horse is one of my all-time favorites, but there's been a dozen others over the years!

DavePNW

In 2019, they had it broken up into 4 self seeded corrals, <3:05, 3:05-3:55, 3:55-4:15, >4:15. I either started in the very back of 3:55-4:15 or the front of >4:15. According to my log, I started at 7:07am. There was no time between the corrals.

Back then, you could just stay on the bus, go to the plethora of PoPs and return to the bus to stay warm at the start. I feel like dropping off stuff at gear check was the only mildly chaotic part. Downtown, the lines for the buses to the Start start forming well before the bus pick up time--I remember getting there like 15 min early and being near the front but within like 5 min, the line was blocks long. This might be different depending on which bus stop you're at (I was heading to probably the most popular one). One year I had a school bus, the other year was a Coach bus with a bathroom (!)

The expo in 2018 was few blocks from my hotel downtown. In 2019, it was halfway between the airport and downtown, so needed Uber.

I remember you talking about that! Sounds like a dream, I will not expect it. They will still allow you to stay on the bus at the start anyway, which will be convenient if raining, even if needing to leave for POPs. (I originally added an extra "O" to that, which would have been fine too.)

They added one corral - split #2 at 3:25. Otherwise sounds like they're planning the same kind of start.

Expo is at the convention center. Looks like my hotel is about a half mile from the expo, the bus pickup, and the finish.

Dave

DavePNW

Having run three point to point marathons, Boston, CIM and NYC; CIM was by far and away the simplest to navigate. The 5:00 am bus call is really no big deal at all. Aside from getting dressed and doing your normal pre-race business, you just really don't allow yourself to wake up or get too excited for any of the preamble. Once you're at the start line that's when you start loosening up and getting your head right. When I was there it was California cold, so they allowed you to use the bathrooms and get back on the bus. I can't imagine that would be any different even in this post-Covid world.

Just plan your morning as you normally would making sure you have enough calories to consume for the time you're killing before the race and you'll be good. Everyone else is doing it, so it's just a matter of not letting it annoy you, unless you feed off of that sort of thing.

Yeah the timing is the thing. I'll want food and coffee in my system before 5:00, but being stuck on a bus for a lengthy period right after ingesting everything is always concerning (unless it's a fancy coach!) That was my big worry with Boston, although it worked out OK.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Funny thing is, on days I work from home, I spend more time working. I know I check e-mail more after hours. But without the commute & other things, it doesn't seem as intrusive. Basically, the work day starts and ends when I finish working vs starting when I get in my car in the am and when I get home in the pm.

Me too. And I'm more efficient with my time while home because there are no interruptions, no driving, etc.

Damaris

LRB

Yeah the timing is the thing. I'll want food and coffee in my system before 5:00, but being stuck on a bus for a lengthy period right after ingesting everything is always concerning (unless it's a fancy coach!) That was my big worry with Boston, although it worked out OK.

I had a sack of goodies for the ride but really wasn't really hungry and didn't end up eating until way later in the morning but yes, coffee time was well before I got on the bus for obvious reasons.

Half Crazy K 2.0

2.75 miles. I do not recommend a lunch that includes sauerkraut, cauliflower tots and an apple. The school POP less than 1/2 mile from home almost needed to be used.

sdWhiskers

I had a sack of goodies for the ride but really wasn't really hungry and didn't end up eating until way later in the morning but yes, coffee time was well before I got on the bus for obvious reasons.

Yeah I brought some food to eat on the bus, too. I remember my hotel having food and coffee ready to go in the lobby at like 430am  I think my bus (one of the early ones) reached the start line at 6-615 so plenty of time for the PoPs.

LRB

Yeah I brought some food to eat on the bus, too. I remember my hotel having food and coffee ready to go in the lobby at like 430am  I think my bus (one of the early ones) reached the start line at 6-615 so plenty of time for the PoPs.

Same! The hotel spread was fabulous so I took some toast or an english muffin (I can't remember which) and actually ate it like two hours later.

The event and the city were both really easy to navigate, my only gripe was that the Nuun on the course had no calories and that kind of did me in unbeknownst to me at the time. I liked the medal too, not that that matters in the grand scheme of things but if you're going to get one it helps to get one you like and I did.

DavePNW

For Boston, I carried everything on the bus. I got a Sbux in the hotel lobby on my way out (with someone in line paying for it, because I had no cash/card/phone and they could not charge it to the room). I held that coffee for the entire hour and 15 minute ride, just taking a few sips of it, too reluctant to suck it all down (for obvious reasons). As soon as I got off the bus I chugged 16 oz of cold coffee. Yum! Then ate my food in the athletes' village. Turned out they did have coffee & food there, but you never want to count on anything.

However I think a much longer gap between arrival at the start and race time, at Boston vs. CIM, so probably won't want to wait. Thinking I'll get up around 4, have coffee & food, bus at 5, banana at 6.

Also don't plan to count on the hotel lobby - I'll probably bring everything I need, better safe than sorry.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

You have scored some of the best race pics in the history of the sport. That one with the horse is one of my all-time favorites, but there's been a dozen others over the years!

What???

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

my only gripe was that the Nuun on the course had no calories and that kind of did me in unbeknownst to me at the time. 

Oh yeah, Nuun is disgusting whether it has calories or not. I may just go on Gu & water.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Me too. And I'm more efficient with my time while home because there are no interruptions, no driving, etc.

This. Plus, if I don't have to waste three hours commuting every day, I can "sleep" more. I get really grumpy on days I have to go into the office now, because I have to get up so early. And I hate public transit.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog