Beginners and Beyond

Road ID: Elite vs. Slim (Read 86 times)

TxDiverMom

A lot of you are saying you don't take it off.  I know I will because I wear other bracelets (Pandora!).  I don't really like the bracelets like the running for Jenny one.  They move around on my arm and bug me.  I have VERY slim wrists.  Road ID says you are a small if a $ bill is 1/4 inch apart when you wrap around your wrist.  It overlaps on mine and that's not even pulling it tight.

So the Road ID slim is like a Running for Jenny bracelet, but the Elite is adjustable to fit tight around your wrist so it doesn't move?

Why not the velcro?  That's what I was thinking of ordering.

Interactive or not?

Thanks!

bluerun

Super B****

I have very small wrists, too; the Jenny bracelet is enormous on me.  I've "lost" it more than once.

The Slim RoadID comes in sizes; it's not HARD to take it off, I just happen not to.  The point is, it isn't a one-size-fits-all rubber bracelet that will slide around everywhere.  It pretty much stays put.

And this is just me, but I don't want a velcro one because it's easier to wash off a rubber bracelet after it gets all gross and sweaty.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have small wrists but I am in between their Small and their Medium so I ordered the Medium.  The Jenny bracelet is big but stays on my hand so I assume (based on bluerun's comments) that I chose well.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

A lot of you are saying you don't take it off.  I know I will because I wear other bracelets (Pandora!).  I don't really like the bracelets like the running for Jenny one.  They move around on my arm and bug me.  I have VERY slim wrists.  Road ID says you are a small if a $ bill is 1/4 inch apart when you wrap around your wrist.  It overlaps on mine and that's not even pulling it tight.

So the Road ID slim is like a Running for Jenny bracelet, but the Elite is adjustable to fit tight around your wrist so it doesn't move?

Why not the velcro?  That's what I was thinking of ordering.

Interactive or not?

Thanks!

I have the velco one and really like how it fits, but it is starting to curl up some on the end, and then the velcro snags my long-sleeved shirts.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

After a while, the velcro just gets yucky.  Or at least that's what happens when you run in hell.

Damaris

MothAudio

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Don't have one as DW is joined at the hip.

TxDiverMom

After a while, the velcro just gets yucky.  Or at least that's what happens when you run in hell.

Well, I run just this side of hell (Houston).  But all the people I know here who have them either have the velcro and/or the neoprene leg one.  They use them for both running and biking and transfer the metal piece.  I just know I want it tight on my arm where it doesn't move at all. After looking at the sizing, I think the slim would be fine.  I just wouldn't want to stretch it out taking it on and off all the time.  (4-5 times per week)

Walk-Jogger

I have the Slim.  No chance it's going to fall off.  It's is not big enough to fit over your hand.  You have to stretch it to put it on.  The only chance it's going to come off involuntarily is if it tears or if my hand comes off.

I also have the velcro one but I have not worn it since I got the Slim.  FYI, I keep the Slim on all the time.

And that would only happen in the rare event of an accident. 

Retired &  Loving It

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, I run just this side of hell (Houston).  But all the people I know here who have them either have the velcro and/or the neoprene leg one.  They use them for both running and biking and transfer the metal piece.  I just know I want it tight on my arm where it doesn't move at all. After looking at the sizing, I think the slim would be fine.  I just wouldn't want to stretch it out taking it on and off all the time.  (4-5 times per week)

Interesting.  I find the elite to last longer than the velcro because the material is less prone to smell.

Damaris

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Interactive or not?

Thanks!

Interactive or not depends on a lot of variables.  How complicated a medical history do you have?  Are you on a lot of medications?  Do you have specific or unusual allergies that won't otherwise fit on the regular engraved tag?

If all you want listed is basic information (e.g. your name and emergency contact information) then the non-interactive device should be more than sufficient.  If you have a lengthy, complicated medical history that could impact any resuscitation or trauma treatment you might need to receive, a long list of medications, a long or complicated list of allergies then you may want to consider the interactive service.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Also, I've found much better success with the Elite model for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned.  It doesn't smell.  It's easily cleaned.  I put it on and forget it's there.

I've not used the Slim.  My understanding is that the band is similar to all the multicoloured  "cause" bands out there (e.g. Running for Jenny, Livestrong etc...).

Find something you like, would wear and go with it.  Please avoid the shoe models.  Please also avoid putting it on your watch/garmin wrist band as that can increase the chances that it will be missed.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I got the Slim and hated the damn thing.  The bracelet was fine, it wore well.  What annoyed they crap out of me is that they Road ID folks did not close the back of the metal part over the bracelet and the metal part kept coming loose from the bracelet.  VERY annoying.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MothAudio

Also, I've found much better success with the Elite model for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned.  It doesn't smell.  It's easily cleaned.  I put it on and forget it's there.

I've not used the Slim.  My understanding is that the band is similar to all the multicoloured  "cause" bands out there (e.g. Running for Jenny, Livestrong etc...).

Find something you like, would wear and go with it.  Please avoid the shoe models.  Please also avoid putting it on your watch/garmin wrist band as that can increase the chances that it will be missed.

The Road ID is thicker than the "Running for Jenny" or "Run For Boston" bands. I've had mine for 6 months and I haven't had any problem with it whatsoever [metal coming off]. I wear both on the same wrist [opposite from my watch] and the other band is larger and covers the Road ID. But one is orange and the other blue, so hopefully they would be distinquished from one another should I require attention.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You will laugh wheb you read what I added on mine.

Damaris