Beginners and Beyond

Showing Support for Boston by Qualifying in the next upcoming years BUT..... (Read 172 times)

But I'm seriously thinking about this Sept race now, cause that's enough time to do a full 18 week Pfitz plan.  Then if I don't BQ by enough to get in, I keep training and go for 2015.

Stamp of approval.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks B-Plus and Shirfan, I appreciate the vote of confidence.  I'm a little concerned about marathon training over the summer, but I do most of my running in the morning anyway, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'm going to give it a week to think on it, maybe a killer PR at my 5k on Saturday will convince me (not that 5k performance has much to do with a marathon, but right now it's a mental game lol).  I'd need to start my training on Cinco de Mayo for the Sept 8th race.  I just don't want to rush into it, and there's a part of my brain telling me that it's too soon and that I should wait...but it's a very small, quiet part.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Goorun

I think it's important to remember that we can support the Boston marathon simply by spectating... They will have thousands of people wanting to register, just as they do every year. That is not the issue. The issue is, will the amazing crowd I saw cheering for me last Monday be the same next year? That is the real appeal of the Boston marathon, its spectators, not the runners... Also, the city of Boston has lost millions in revenues. It's with tourism that they will try to make up for it next year. I was accompanied by one family member this year. Next year, I plan on bringing 3. More money for Boston.

+1

I ran in some big marathons and other big races in my life, but the crowd support in Boston was something I have never seen before. If you ever get an opportunity to go to Boston during the marathon, even you won't be running it, do it. I believe the crowds in 2014 will be bigger and louder than ever.

It will be tough to get in next year for people who BQ by a small margin. There are hundreds of runners who could easy BQ who will be coming to Boston because of what happened on Monday. It could be full and closed after the first opening for the fastest qualifiers. Also B.A.A. will likely give chance and preferable treatment to runners who never got chance to finish this year.

I was not planning to be there in 2014 (plan was to go back in 2015). There is no way I'm missing next year.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

So would I, Hilary. And I'll make sure it happens. Smile

+1000000

I need to personally thank to Hilary and to as many other volunteers as I can.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

runTDC

I would love to qualify for Boston, but based on the fact that I have to shave off 52 minutes, I dare not breath it.  I've been running a long time and do have some significant health circumstances.  I finally am getting a little smarter and stepping back to work on speed, since I need both speed and endurance...but mostly speed.  I have started to sign up for local 5k's, and you know what?  I actually like them.  I really didn't think I would, considering I have always been much better at endurance than speed.

I am signed up for CIM this next December, and may also run Napa.  History has told me that I do really well when I train for a marathon, and then do another about 12 weeks later.   I'll keep chipping away...who knows?

Brad, thanks for the detailed post.  Good stuff to think about.

Anyway, I have some work to do...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

Nevrgivup

Smile Thanks. I would love a little FE after my duties in the medical tent. Next year will be a big year for the marathon and would be really cool to go out for a post marathon celebration.

+1000000

I need to personally thank to Hilary and to as many other volunteers as I can.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

The only way I'll ever be able to participate in the Boston Marathon is volunteer, which isn't a bad idea.

No more marathons

Sometimes dreams just get put on hold.  I was training seriously for a BQ attempt in February in Florida.  I had done a warm-up marathon in December - raced the first 16 and then ran easy the rest of the way - finished in 3:05.  Two days before my target marathon I came down with a cold.  Stayed home.  Dreams on hold.  That was 1985.

Twenty-eight years later, DS runs his first and qualifies.  Time to resurrect the dream.  Train seriously for August marathon - temperature does not cooperate and overenthusiastic second time first marathon (got that?)  spells doom.  Better weather and better pacing two months later gets a BQ by seven and one half minutes (gotta love those easier old man qualifying times).  Too late for 2013, but will be going in 2014.  DS re-qualified in March this year (4 weeks before Boston) so we’ll both be there in 2014.

Was in Boston last week to watch DS – left the finish area about 30 minutes before the blast.  So sad.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!