Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 36 times)

workinprogress11

Hansons has other plans in addition the one in their book. You can purchase them on their website for around 15 bucks. And they do have marathon plans that have 80+ mpw that include 20 milers.  But if you're not used to doing any quality, 80mpw plus a good amount of quality might be too much.

PR - I have a couple of the Hansons online plans if you want to check them out. I never ended up using them. IIRC, one did not look challenging enough, and the one the got to 80 mpw looked hard AF. Pfitz 18/70 ended up filling the gap for me. But, I am in no way qualified to give marathon training advice.

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Thanks much for all the replies! I bought the Hanson book and read about half of it last night.  The writer is very good at explaining the science in a way even I can understand.  I think I could live through 17 weeks of the advanced plan, and maybe up the miles a little if I'm taking it well.  I have about 3 weeks to finish the book and decide on a plan.

I am apprehensive about starting a rigid plan, but I'm also curious as to how I'll like it.  I love to cook, but don't like to follow a recipe.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

LRB, if I could... I would smack you. In my opinion, Magnificent 7 is a great movie, very entertaining.

FYP.

As I said, I thought it was okay, which by its very definition means satisfactory or acceptable, but not necessarily exceptional. If you thought it was exceptional then wonderful.

I actually would have preferred to see more of Vincent D' Onofrio's character, Jack Horne. He may have quietly outshone them all. But that is my opinion, which I am entitled to.

Thank you.

Cyberic

Thanks much for all the replies! I bought the Hanson book and read about half of it last night.  The writer is very good at explaining the science in a way even I can understand.  I think I could live through 17 weeks of the advanced plan, and maybe up the miles a little if I'm taking it well.  I have about 3 weeks to finish the book and decide on a plan.

I am apprehensive about starting a rigid plan, but I'm also curious as to how I'll like it.  I love to cook, but don't like to follow a recipe.

You're doing what I like to do by reading the book. Get the philosophy, the approach, to see if there's a match with how YOU want to train. The Hansons plan gets hard on Thursdays for me. Those miles at MP, week after week, are what I like about the plan, but are also the most difficult workouts of the said plan.

Daniels is a book full of good info on training, but it is very hard to read compared to Hansons and Pfitzinger. If you have time, you could also read Pfitz before you make a decision. Definitely a good choice also.

No more marathons

PR - I have Phitzinger's Advanced Marathoning in Kindle format.

If you'd like to compare the two, I can "loan" it to you (I think amazon allows a three week loan period - or some such).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!