Beginners and Beyond

Wake up you lazy bums, it's the Saturdailies! (Read 43 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

See title.

Last night was an abbreviated TM speed workout, then a 1.14 mile swim.  HOORAY!  I scaled back the run a little because I'm less than a week removed from my HM.  So, I did 45 minutes instead of 60.  The swim was great...my longest yet and in the open water.  Hard to believe that 12 weeks ago I could barely swim the length of a pool.  9+ solid hours of sleep last night.

Today I'll tag along with DW on her 90 minute run.  I'm looking forward to running at DW pace.

So what's going on with all of you beautiful people?

<3

LRB

'Sup.

I am wearing the stupid event shirt  and at the race that's circled in red on my calendar. But instead of racing it, I will be cheering everyone else on. 

There are worse things I suppose, I just cannot think of any right now. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Having my coffee & bagel while waiting for the AC repair guy to show between now and noon. Got a reasonable night's sleep on the sofa in our den, it was still 85 upstairs when I was ready to go to sleep, no way was I staying up there.

happylily

(((LRB)))

I ran my 13 miles last night, then I fell asleep on the couch while I was watching a movie. So right now I'm watching the end of :"Judgement at Nuremberg".   7 recovery later, some house chores and a BBQ at some friends' place who live in horse country. I always enjoy driving there, it's a nice area. That's it for me today.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cjones1

Skipped my run this morning after coming down with a cold yesterday. Slept until 8, which if my math is right, is about 10 straight hours of sleep. Been a LOOONG time since I've slept that long.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Baboon

delicate flower

Today I'll tag along with DW on her 90 minute run.  I'm looking forward to running at DW pace.

Done.  8.35 miles at 11:02 pace.  We'll call that a long recovery run.  54 miles on the week.

ETA:  So a whole bunch of wild turkeys on our run, including one momma turkey with five cornish game hens in tow.

<3

Zelanie

Morning!  Going to pick up Mia from the vet's in a few.   I'll run something later.

LRB

I am still at it and gotta pee like a race horse, geezus!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have already noticed a couple of changes from the upgrades Eric did.  I like them.

I have 9 miles tonight.  The high feels like will be around 98F if not higher.  Not sure how we are going to divide the run, outside and TM.

Damaris

Ric-G

8 miles this morning...coffee now...chores later...soccer after that...graduation party later this evening...that's about it....have a great saturday everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

DavePNW

5k. Goal: sub-21. Result: 21:36. Epic fail.

How do these splits happen? 6:49, 7:21, 6:46. I don't remember stopping for coffee during the 2nd mile. I suck at this.

Finish 21:36, 3 seconds slower than PR (at this race last year).

This race is a ~2.5 mile warmup jog from my house. Start time 8:45. Somehow I miscalculated and left later than intended; I'm jogging over & decide to switch my watch display to look at the time, and it's 8:40. Fuck. I basically sprint the last ~0.5 mile, and get there in time for the national anthem. I figure OK, there's my warmup strides. But probably not how it's supposed to work. Then I ended up starting way too fast in the first ~0.5 mile & had to slow myself down. Which apparently I did. I did pass a bunch of people late in the race, so I guess that's something.

Nonetheless, I was rewarded for my ineptitude with a first place tie in my age group.

I guess I really need to try one of these things again soon, I've got to be able to do it better than this.

Dave

Cyberic

Ran 9ish this morning, all easy for a total of 61 miles for the week, and 21% of those at mp or less. Percentage is lower than target as I took two easy days in a row to fix me up. It is working, but is not done yet. My body is too weak to handle speed work. It is bearable at lower mileage, but when I increase that, it's too much for my actual state. Since I can't do both (higher mileage + speed work) AND stay injury free,  I'll have to make choices. There are also adductor exercises and stretches that would be good to add to my routine, but it is part of the choices I have to make in the coming days and weeks as I can't do it all.

My feeling tells me the first thing I need to drop, since I'm training for a marathon and not a 5K, are the track sessions. What sucks is that I never paid for running, and the first time I do that is to attend track workouts with a group, and I would drop them after 3-4 weeks Sad

happylily

5k. Goal: sub-21. Result: 21:36. Epic fail.

How do these splits happen? 6:49, 7:21, 6:46. I don't remember stopping for coffee during the 2nd mile. I suck at this.

Finish 21:36, 3 seconds slower than PR (at this race last year).

This race is a ~2.5 mile warmup jog from my house. Start time 8:45. Somehow I miscalculated and left later than intended; I'm jogging over & decide to switch my watch display to look at the time, and it's 8:40. Fuck. I basically sprint the last ~0.5 mile, and get there in time for the national anthem. I figure OK, there's my warmup strides. But probably not how it's supposed to work. Then I ended up starting way too fast in the first ~0.5 mile & had to slow myself down. Which apparently I did. I did pass a bunch of people late in the race, so I guess that's something.

Nonetheless, I was rewarded for my ineptitude with a first place tie in my age group.

I guess I really need to try one of these things again soon, I've got to be able to do it better than this.

Yes, your mistake cost you time on the course. I know next to nothing about racing good 5ks, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to run half a mile at 5k pace, or even faster, minutes before the start of the race. Then, in your already stressed state, you went out to fast and it hurt the rest of your splits. Arriving late was just an honest mistake, though. And thank God for the national anthem! (that one is for Cy. ) Frustrating turn of events for you, but still a very strong finish time that I would certainly not call an epic fail. First AG is something to celebrate. Congrats on that! And I agree that you must find another 5k so you can redeem yourself soon.

happylily

Ran 9ish this morning, all easy for a total of 61 miles for the week, and 21% of those at mp or less. Percentage is lower than target as I took two easy days in a row to fix me up. It is working, but is not done yet. My body is too weak to handle speed work. It is bearable at lower mileage, but when I increase that, it's too much for my actual state. Since I can't do both (higher mileage + speed work) AND stay injury free,  I'll have to make choices. There are also adductor exercises and stretches that would be good to add to my routine, but it is part of the choices I have to make in the coming days and weeks as I can't do it all.

My feeling tells me the first thing I need to drop, since I'm training for a marathon and not a 5K, are the track sessions. What sucks is that I never paid for running, and the first time I do that is to attend track workouts with a group, and I would drop them after 3-4 weeks Sad

I have a question regarding the 25-30% MP content of our weekly mileage: are we supposed to run them at what we "hope" our MP will be in 18 weeks, or at what it would be today if we ran a marathon? Because I'd really like to run a 3:25 next October, but I'm only running MP miles for a 3:30 finish time at the moment, because I feel that's where my physical condition really is at now. As it improves over the next few weeks, I will adjust the pace in consequence. Is it possible that you're running your MP miles too fast at this point in the cycle?

I'm confused about all this. Maybe Jay could help with an answer... And don't worry about the group. They are runners, they will understand... You can always go back to them later.

Congrats on another high mileage week!

LRB

You could also relegate your speed sessions to their own days, twice a week and run easy the rest of the week. Thereby dropping the intermittent marathon paced miles sprinkled in runs throughout the week that are in addition to the two speed sessions.

I know why you are doing them, but the guy who excels at that is on a completely different level.