Beginners and Beyond

Bless me, Penguin Mondailies, for I have sinned ... sort of ... (Read 17 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't suppose it's actually a sin, but it is a confession of sorts.  You see, I've been running.  Ok, before you all die of collective shock, here's the deal.  My runner's knee was stubborn and sidelining, and then I had about 6 months of PT, and then I continued that at home for about 6 months.  After that, my knees were blessedly pain-free.  And when I say blessedly, I mean it!!  You have no idea how amazing it is to walk without pain, until you can't walk without pain for a couple of years.

So I reveled in my painlessness for a few months.  And then I started thinking ... could I run again?  I'd been on the sidelines long enough that I thought I could get past the form change that got me runner's knee in the first place.  So after the Great Southwest Trip of 2016 (last half of June), I started getting DH and myself up early 3x per week to try running.  I'm taking a page from Scottydog and I worked my way up to 5:1 run:walk, and I've been working on that for about 5 weeks now.  I'm ready to start increasing the time of my long run.

I am pitifully slow, and my knees ache when I'm done.  But they don't hurt like they did with runner's knee, and I'm happy.  I'm a runner again!

So, anybody else with confessions?

Jerryb, how was the half?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is awesome, Hope!!!

I have Pilates and 6.  No confessions for now, but I might remember one later.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

So you're confessing you did something you can't remember? 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe.

Damaris

Zelanie

Singer who runs a smidge

PADRunner

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

HsM, glad you are pain free and running again.

Both of our Oregon HM's were terrific.  No PR's with all the hills, but a Overall top half finish in the wine country race was a PR of sorts.

Going home today.

From the Internet.

Yay! That's so exciting HsM! Big grin

Rest day! Visiting family with the kid. Husband is home sick.

on my way to badass

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28