Beginners and Beyond

Champion of Trees 10k-RR (Read 38 times)

workinprogress11

This morning I made a last minute decision to run a 10k. I knew this race was very hilly so running even my current best time was out of the question. With that stress out of the way I decided I just wanted to make sure I executed the race well and didn't die on the hills. I accomplished this and am very happy with how I managed the hills and ran the race. My only goal was to keep below an average of 10 minute miles.  I decided I would basically chug up the hills and fly down them. That's exactly how it went.  The splits tell the story of the hills.

mile 1-9:52

mile 2-9:02

mile 3-9:54

mile 4-10:15

mile 5-9:36

mile 6-9:17

last .26 per Garmin-2:14

Overall time per Garmin and race results-1:00:11

Average pace per results-9:42

The race went really well for me. The only interesting moment was at around mile 6.1. I was trying to power to the finish but it started heading up hill again. All of a sudden I was 100% certain that if I didn't slow down a little I was going to hurl my guts up. I chose the slowing down. It may have cost me sub 1 hour but I didn't care. I was super glad not to have barfed on all of those people by me.  That's the first time that's ever happened in a race so that was interesting, but I just dealt with it, the moment passed and I finished strong.

I never thought Id be happy with a 10k over an hour but with the hills and my lack of race specific training it's just fine with me. It was a beautiful course and I will more than likely run it again next year.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice job. There is definitely a fine line on hills, especially at the end, of powering up versus puking. I've had that happen once, it was not a pleasant feeling, I gave the hill much more respect in future races.

LRB

I knew this race was very hilly so running even my current best time was out of the question. With that stress out of the way I decided I just wanted to make sure I executed the race well and didn't die on the hills.

There's a lot of truth to that.

It's funny how a few seconds seem so insignificant after it's all said and done, but it's hard to know where you could have got them.

Nice solid effort there, I take it from the name that this is a course full of shade? I would like that too!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I hate uphill finishes. They are cruel and unusual punishment.

on my way to badass

I hate uphill finishes. They are cruel and unusual punishment.

Truth.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job!  And agreed, uphill finishes are just vindictive!

Damaris

DavePNW

Nice job. AG placing? What's your training/racing plan from here on out?

Hilly courses suck, seems all I get anymore. My super-hilly half last month had a very steep uphill finish. It was tough, but I managed to power up it pretty strongly & pass some people (without puking). Worse actually was a hilly 5k with a very steep downhill finish. Legs were so fatigued that the downhill was murder on my quads, and practically had to put the brakes on. I think making the most of downhills is the tougher skill, and I need to work on it.

Dave

Cyberic

Nice, WIP. I agree with everybody: an uphill finish is not cool.

workinprogress11

Nice job. AG placing? What's your training/racing plan from here on out?

Hilly courses suck, seems all I get anymore. My super-hilly half last month had a very steep uphill finish. It was tough, but I managed to power up it pretty strongly & pass some people (without puking). Worse actually was a hilly 5k with a very steep downhill finish. Legs were so fatigued that the downhill was murder on my quads, and practically had to put the brakes on. I think making the most of downhills is the tougher skill, and I need to work on it.

14th out of 65 AG so not too bad.

I'm not sure what kind of training I'm going to do going forward. I'm still hoping to get enough speed back at some point to qualify for Boston but I suppose I just need to run some marathons and not wait around for the speed fairy to descend upon me. That means marathon training, I guess. In the meantime I'm going to run some last minute local 5ks when the spirit moves me.

onemile

Nice job on a tough course. And even if your time was over an hour, you got a really good workout in.

Ric-G

great job and agree with the others about those ridiculous uphill finishes. you can build on the experience of running an unconventional race.

marathon pr - 3:16

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

RDs are sadists. It's cruel to design a course with a hill at the finish. At least you enjoyed the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

I chose the slowing down. It may have cost me sub 1 hour but I didn't care. 

The .06 cost you the sub-1:00.  Not puking is just smart racing.  

Good job on the race!  Hilly courses are tough but they are a good challenge and certainly make it interesting.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your 10K, way to go!

" I was super glad not to have barfed on all of those people by me."   

Would have made a great finish photo, though.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats, the runners around you were probably also super glad you didn't barf on them.