Beginners and Beyond

Daily Hydration Requirements (Read 118 times)

msmrow

I drink a lot of water, too. I have a desk job and I'm a few steps from the kitchen in my office.

ditto this.  i probably drink more than most people but as long as i have a water bottle, i'm going to be drinking from it constantly.

LRB

It gets a little awkward when you're on the same pee schedule as someone else. Since the rules of mens room etiquette dictate that you are forbidden from conversing with your urinal neighbor, you can't explain yourself. You're simply known as the dude who pretty much lives in the bathroom.

I pee a lot.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Hip Redux

It gets a little awkward when you're on the same pee schedule as someone else. Since the rules of mens room etiquette dictate that you are forbidden from conversing with your urinal neighbor, you can't explain yourself. You're simply known as the dude who pretty much lives in the bathroom.

Well, if they are there with you, then they are living there too!  lol

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I notice that I'm better about drinking more water when I keep a water bottle filled and within reach. I don't know why this is, but it's a good thing. I tend to not think about water until I'm dying of thirst.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hehe.  I am surprised I don't stop during marathons to pee since I pee a lot from the water I take.  I am not looking forward to being old.

Damaris

I had this discussion with my sister not too long ago, so we put google to work.

Mayo Clinic:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

WebMD: http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1166858/is-caffeine-a-diuretic

Coffee and tea are positive water sources, that is, they hydrate you.

Not very convincing articles. If you add an activity level such as running, and them measure the effects of coffee/tea related to kidney function, I bet the results would show a different result. These articles fail to mention the effect of dark phosphates, often founds in coffee/tea/soda, when increased levels of sweating from excercise is involved. In other words, the increased likelyhood of kidney stones.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Buelligan

It would last longer than Tyson vs. Spinks that's for sure....wait, that might have been a little before your time.   ; )

I remember that night quite vividly!
                  GC100k

Not very convincing articles. If you add an activity level such as running, and them measure the effects of coffee/tea related to kidney function, I bet the results would show a different result. These articles fail to mention the effect of dark phosphates, often founds in coffee/tea/soda, when increased levels of sweating from excercise is involved. In other words, the increased likelyhood of kidney stones.

As I recall, the RW article from 10-15 years ago cited studies specifically using runners or other endurance athletes and found no less hydration with caffeinated beverages with those who were acclimated to them.  I've never heard of dark phosphates, so I can't comment on that.

LRB

I remember that night quite vividly!

It was definitely one of those where were you when... moments!

DavePNW

It was definitely one of those where were you when... moments!

"Moment" is right, as long as you didn't blink...91 seconds I believe?

Dave

LRB

"Moment" is right, as long as you didn't blink...91 seconds I believe?

There was a song with the line "91 seconds, was all the time needed, for him to get beat.  You know defeated."

I think people still feel cheated over that lol!

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Something witty

xor

Yeah, if you do some actual research, you'll find that the "8 8oz glasses" thing has no scientific basis and is just one of those handy "rules".  In fact, tracing it back to the origin is somewhat interesting.

As to the original post and 7 liters a day.  That's almost two gallons.  That?  Is a lot.

Which brings us to the idea of hydration REQUIREMENTS.  Some of yall, especially those of you pounding down the water, aren't doing it because it is "required".

And that's ok.  Just don't be thinking that you "need" that much, because you likely don't.  Especially if you find yourself peeing a lot.

BTW, the idea that clear pee means you are hydrated properly is also kind of a myth.  In fact, it may mean you have too much... and if you are peeing frequently, definitely so.

(I drink too much and pee a lot.)

This is actually what I was getting at. I drink a lot of water because I like it and I find that my body craves it. It seems the questions of, "How much water do I need?" is just too dependent on variables (gender, weight, activity level).

Yeah, if you do some actual research, you'll find that the "8 8oz glasses" thing has no scientific basis and is just one of those handy "rules".  In fact, tracing it back to the origin is somewhat interesting.

As to the original post and 7 liters a day.  That's almost two gallons.  That?  Is a lot.

Which brings us to the idea of hydration REQUIREMENTS.  Some of yall, especially those of you pounding down the water, aren't doing it because it is "required".

And that's ok.  Just don't be thinking that you "need" that much, because you likely don't.  Especially if you find yourself peeing a lot.

BTW, the idea that clear pee means you are hydrated properly is also kind of a myth.  In fact, it may mean you have too much... and if you are peeing frequently, definitely so.

(I drink too much and pee a lot.)

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.