Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 31: Andiamo Productions Margarita 5K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more.

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2031%20Margarita%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 31st race of 2018 was the Margarita 5K put on by Andiamo Productions on April 28 at Concepcion Park, a small but nice park located right by the San Antonio Riverwalk.  This race was part of a series of races put on by Andiamo over the year.  Participants could register for all of the events as a package deal, with a nice discount – which is what I did – or just register only for each race they wanted to do.  This race  - and just about all Andiamo races – are extremely popular and this one sold out.   The race is held during the last week of Fiesta San Antonio, one big 10-day city-wide party with lots of stuff going on the whole time.   Early start time of 7:30 a.m. is very nice too. The weather for we South Texans was perfect – 62 degrees at start time - which is considered nice and ‘cool’ by us, lol - low humidity and  sunshine and no wind. Beautiful morning.  I arrived at the park with a tad over an hour to go to start time and wandered around getting a few before photos.

With friend Jill

With friend Paul Baltutis, owner of San Antonio Running Company who kindly let the event do packet pickup at his store.

Our MC, Bob Ratliff; always does a great job.

Bob with some other volunteers and organizers

Friend Raf, of local race management company iaap; timing, results, etc.

Various participants,  volunteers, etc.

At the start line area

And away we go.....

ON THE COURSE

The 5K is held on what is known as the Mission Reach side of the Riverwalk – a nice quiet part of the Riverwalk with lots of nice views of the river, no ‘touristy’ stuff such as restaurants, shops, etc., and if you go far enough, you can divert off the path to enjoy touring some of the 17th century Spanish missions on this side – hence the name “Mission Reach”.  Course was a tad hilly; we went down a hill to start, had a couple uphills and downhills on the course and then had to climb back up to finish.  Some really nice views of the river.  I ended up with 32-minutes and change, which was good enough for 3rd in my age group, 60 – 69.

On the way back to the finish, I pretty much ran most of the last mile with that lady wearing white

Made the turn-round and am now heading for the finish.  LOTS of people coming and going  on this part of the course.

Back near the bridge.  A tad over a half-mile to go to the finish

AFTER MY FINISH

Went back and stood near the finish uphill and got a few photos.   Then wandered around getting some photos of happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.

The incline to the finish

then we curved around this part

and then to the finish line...

"Skyline view' to see over the riverwalk, the finish area, etc.

Various happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

With the young lady I ran with for a lot of the last mile.

Thank you, Band guys

As I was heading to the finish on the course, saw this guy heading to the turn-round, not far behind me.  With those long legs, lol, I pretty much thought he would eventually pass me up....and he did, finishing long before I did 

Got a photo of this lady on the course, then saw her again at the finish.  Donated my finisher medal to the little lady in the stroller, since she did the course too, lol.  She seems to be enjoying the medal.

These two friends of mine each got first in their age groups...

Always nice seeing Bernadette, who is my longest (in years known) running friend.  She is wearing her finisher medal here...a litttle glass of margarita, lol

My friend, 70-and-over age group and still going strong.

Thank you volunteers!

Bernadette with her 1st place age group award

Three winners!

EPILOGUE

This being the Margarita 5K, they actually did have post-race margaritas, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.  No beer though – must remember to bring my own next time, since I really am not a hard-liquor person or a wine drinker, just beer only for me.  All good though, they had plenty of other stuff, including fruits, energy bars, Gatorade, water, breakfast tacos, and so forth.  A live-music band played for us – I don’t remember the name of the band, but they were quite good – and nice finisher medals for everyone.   Very nice quality tech-tee race shirt.  This one is definitely worth doing.  Very well organized, nice course, nice entertainment, nice post-race goodies, nice shirt, nice medals.  What’s not to like?   I would certainly recommend this one to others to do.

Mucho thanks to Andiamo Productions and everyone else who made this one happen for we participants; all the volunteers, park police officers that were out there, sponsors, the band, the amazing Bob Ratliff for his MC talents,  Paul Baltutis and his San Antoinio Running Company for the packet-pickup location, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Mucho Gracias for what all of you did for us!

Nap-time now, lol. My next race – well, funrun – is this same day, April 28, when I go out tonite to do the San Antonio Roadrunners Fiesta Fandango 2.6 miler as part of Fiesta San Antonio, and our route is the parade route of the Fiesta Flambeau; lots of fun with thousands of people cheering us along.  I better rest up for it…cuz you know, I’m old….

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Love some of the shirts!  The messages were hilarious. Nice RR!

Damaris