Beginners and Beyond

Friyayyyyyy (Read 43 times)

sdWhiskers

Blue (or should I say Purple    ) Good results on your HM with a bum leg. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

5.6 easy miles this morning. I have a hilly HM in late April so I'm trying to add in a few more hills throughout the week. I signed up for a Strava challenge to hit 2000m in March and I'm at 414m so far. I usually think the challenges are silly but I knew it would make me aim for more elevation. Also, I'm used to thinking in terms of feet not meters so I had no idea how much this would be

2 weeks now that I've been running sans headlamp in the morning! But nooooo, it just can't last. !*&#$*&# Daylight Savings.

LRB

LRB, yeah, about daylight savings time, or whatever it's called, I'm with you. At least it could be like it was a few years ago, when it was like 3 weeks later, and came back to normal time before in the fall. We're just starting to have decent daylight in the morning, ffs.

I can live with that. Make it so!

Cyberic

I can live with that. Make it so!

Letter is in the mail. I expect the change within 3 to 4 business days.

The only walls I know are the one in Seattle where the used to be chewing gum on, and the one Pink Floyd talks about. But geography and history are not my forte.

LRB

Nope, it's the same for the men.  It used to be 20-39, which kind of made sense because it was the open category... IDK why it's 20-34 now.  And I've been dropped down to fourth place, except the first two women are the ones who finished 1-2 overall female, so shouldn't that exclude them from AG awards?!

They would have been had it been someone other than you. lol

Just kidding. That stinks. Half marathon bling is rare, and even more so when the event is huge.

RunningWithMyDog

Nope, it's the same for the men.  It used to be 20-39, which kind of made sense because it was the open category... IDK why it's 20-34 now.  And I've been dropped down to fourth place, except the first two women are the ones who finished 1-2 overall female, so shouldn't that exclude them from AG awards?!

Hell yes!  I share your pain.

A few years ago, I ran a 10-miler in California.  Winner got a sweeeeeet 1st prize - big soft cooler, filled with goodies.

And he also took the AGW - an insulated coffee mug.  It dropped me to 2nd - I got a small rubber duck.

To this day, my cold coffee tastes like bitter disappointment.

6 km home tonight.  Then maybe run the dog around the block a few times.  I may try for a longer run on the weekend, but realistically, work will prevent me from doing any real running for the next few weeks.

Baboon

delicate flower

I just nearly sh*t myself.  I got my training plan for next week and there is a 10,000 yard swim listed for Friday.      I just e-mailed Coach with a "Ummm....what?"  That will take me four hours.  That is a 5.7 mile swim.

<3

GinnyinPA

Baboon - that's insane. Does your coach know that you have a job? I've been amazed at how much time you already spend now at the pool.

Bluerun - Congratulations.  You finished without breaking anything. Hurray. You also ran well, given the conditions.

I did an easy 5 with strides. HM tomorrow is going to be chilly, but at least the rain/snow/sleet is no longer in the forecast. A few days ago it said inch and a half of snow Saturday morning.

Cyberic

I just nearly sh*t myself.  I got my training plan for next week and there is a 10,000 yard swim listed for Friday.      I just e-mailed Coach with a "Ummm....what?"  That will take me four hours.  That is a 5.7 mile swim.

So you want to be an Iron Man

RunningWithMyDog

If you did that next Friday, they would have to close the pool...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday, here in San Antonio we lost a great guy in our running commmunity. He was struck from behind while riding his motorcycle and did not make it. So sad.  He went way too soon, he was only in his 30s.  He was not like a best friend of mine, but he was a friend/acquaintance from our local running scene and a fellow veteran;  he and I did a lot of the same races over the last few years and we knew each other well enough to chat at the events, get some race photos together, and so forth.  He was very well known and really good friends with several of our running community members.  We are all pretty much in shock.  He leaves behind his twin brother, his wife, and child.   He was a regular on our local racing circuit, will be so weird and sad not to see him out there any more.  One minute there, the next minute...gone.  Don't take anything for granted.  Hug your loved ones and let them know every day how you feel.  You just never know.

Did get in 3.3 miles yesterday morning at Fort Sam Houston.   Followed by an opthomalogy (sp?) appointment to check for any eye issues I may have had from a floater I had in my right eye.  Everything was okay, eyes in good health - besides the floater - no cornea tear, cataracts, etc.   Altho after the doc dilated my eyes, I did feel like I was living in a "TV dream sequence" for a while, everything was a bit fuzzy.....and for a minute there I thought I saw Mr. Roper from "Three's Company", lol.  My generation people here will get that reference.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Baboon

delicate flower

So you want to be an Iron Man

Perhaps I need to clarify for Coach that I do not plan on swimming the entire 144.6 mile race.

If you did that next Friday, they would have to close the pool...

Ha!

<3

RunningWithMyDog

Arggggg - phantom post, I can't seem to delete it.

Nothing to see here - please move on.

I thought I saw Mr. Roper from "Three's Company", lol.  My generation people here will get that reference.

Hahaha!  I remember Mr. Roper fondly!  Either I'm older than I like to think (probable), or you're younger than you like to think (also probable) Wink

LRB I too have an irrational hatred of the time change.  It always happens the weekend of my kid's birthday party, which I hate anyway (nothing against my kid--I hate all kid's birthday parties, but it's worse when you have to plan it, execute it, and clean up after it).  Now I have to get up an hour earlier than my usual unholy hour to get a LR in before that crap starts.  They need to start a "feels like" for DST bullshit.  For example, "6 a.m. on time change Sunday: actual time, 6 a.m.; feels like time, hell on earth o'clock"

Blue, nice race and nice pic at the Kotel.  When is the diving?  I remember you said you packed all the things.  I did all my open water tests in the Puget Sound, which was a balmy 43 that weekend.  I own a 14mm suit, and it's not enough.  I remember actually trying to use air as fast as I could so I could get out of that damn water.  What temps are you looking at?

Baboon, I'm interested to find out if the swim is a typo or your coach has something against you.

7 miles done.  Supposedly easy, but felt hard AF, pretty sure because I've gotten approximately 3 hours of sleep a night for the past 3 nights. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would assume it's a 1000 swim or FTS.

Damaris

LRB

Hahaha!  I remember Mr. Roper fondly!  Either I'm older than I like to think (probable), or you're younger than you like to think (also probable) Wink

LRB I too have an irrational hatred of the time change.  It always happens the weekend of my kid's birthday party, which I hate anyway (nothing against my kid--I hate all kid's birthday parties, but it's worse when you have to plan it, execute it, and clean up after it).  Now I have to get up an hour earlier than my usual unholy hour to get a LR in before that crap starts.  They need to start a "feels like" for DST bullshit.  For example, "6 a.m. on time change Sunday: actual time, 6 a.m.; feels like time, hell on earth o'clock"

lol