Beginners and Beyond

Thursday's DAILIES (Read 21 times)

onemile

Although not everyone cares about that as much as me. I’ve never run the same marathon more than once, which was coincidental at first but now it’s kind of a thing.

What marathon are you planning to run this fall?  I feel like I should know but I don't remember

Baboon

delicate flower

I’ve always heard good things about Baystate, and it’s a crime you haven’t run it considering how close you are. Not as close as Hartford of course, but you’ve run that a billion times. I think you’ve run NJ, so it would be interesting to run Baystate just for variety’s sake. Although not everyone cares about that as much as me. I’ve never run the same marathon more than once, which was coincidental at first but now it’s kind of a thing.

Yeah I've run Hartford four times.  It's just so damn convenient, being 20 minutes from my house.  And it is a surprisingly nice race.  My marathon choice will also depend on what the 2022 BQ window will be.  It'd be nice if they'd announce that.  Figure it'll go to at least Oct 11, which is the Boston Marathon.  New Jersey is the following weekend, which could kick off the 2023 window....which incidentally would give me five more minutes.

<3

KCRuns

I swam 1100m/.68mi this morning.  I am getting better at it, but still struggling with the right breathing patterns.  I expect that to improve with practice.

I am undecided if I will run during lunch today or wait until tomorrow morning.  I am leaning towards tomorrow morning.

I signed up for a 5k on Saturday.  I am nowhere near race ready, but I am excited to be able to run a live event with my friends.  My goal is to finish and have fun.

sdWhiskers

4 miles with 6  x 15s hill sprints.

I think this will be my first 5 day onsite work week.

DavePNW

What marathon are you planning to run this fall?  I feel like I should know but I don't remember

CIM. Still tentative about pulling the trigger on anything this far out, but I can't think of any real reason not to. And I'm guessing I'll need to do it sooner rather than later. Their current policy FYI:

Price: $159 (price subject to increase as race fills)
            Refund Policy

We will provide refunds to all registrants ONLY if the event is unable to be conducted as an in-person event, or their registration cannot be finalized due to imposed registration caps or other regulations (ie vaccine mandate, out-of-state restrictions, etc.). Registrants should also consider that certain event details and amenities are still being determined due to changing health guidelines, and refunds will NOT be provided due to changes in the event details/amenities/services offered, including but not limited to: spectator presence, start time and procedures, event transportation, on-course services, pace teams, gear check, and pre and post race amenities and experiences.

Also, we do NOT provide any refunds for registrants that are unable to participate for any reason if the event is conducted. If you register and are unable to participate, you will NOT be refunded or credited for any reason.

Note: Our tradition deferral program will not be available this year; registrants that are not able to participate due to their own personal circumstances will NOT have the option to defer to 2022.

Dave

DavePNW

Yeah I've run Hartford four times.  It's just so damn convenient, being 20 minutes from my house.  And it is a surprisingly nice race.  

I guess maybe I'm just envious of you having this. There is nothing that I'd consider a good race that does not require an overnight stay for me. And of all the ones I've done, most do not inspire me to run again. Of course I'd maybe do Boston again at some point in my life, but I'll also feel complete having done it just the once. I'd do Eugene again - a good race that I did not do justice because it was during my unexplained sluggishness phase (plus my son lives there). I liked Victoria too; also happened to be the site of my first BQ (of the 3 it took to actually get in).

Dave

onemile

CIM. Still tentative about pulling the trigger on anything this far out, but I can't think of any real reason not to. And I'm guessing I'll need to do it sooner rather than later. Their current policy FYI:

Price: $159 (price subject to increase as race fills)
                Refund Policy

We will provide refunds to all registrants ONLY if the event is unable to be conducted as an in-person event, or their registration cannot be finalized due to imposed registration caps or other regulations (ie vaccine mandate, out-of-state restrictions, etc.). Registrants should also consider that certain event details and amenities are still being determined due to changing health guidelines, and refunds will NOT be provided due to changes in the event details/amenities/services offered, including but not limited to: spectator presence, start time and procedures, event transportation, on-course services, pace teams, gear check, and pre and post race amenities and experiences.

Also, we do NOT provide any refunds for registrants that are unable to participate for any reason if the event is conducted. If you register and are unable to participate, you will NOT be refunded or credited for any reason.

Note: Our tradition deferral program will not be available this year; registrants that are not able to participate due to their own personal circumstances will NOT have the option to defer to 2022.

oh yes, CIM. I should have known that but I was blanking.  CIM is a good race and you will be ready for the hills.

Baboon

delicate flower

I guess maybe I'm just envious of you having this. There is nothing that I'd consider a good race that does not require an overnight stay for me. And of all the ones I've done, most do not inspire me to run again. Of course I'd maybe do Boston again at some point in my life, but I'll also feel complete having done it just the once. I'd do Eugene again - a good race that I did not do justice because it was during my unexplained sluggishness phase (plus my son lives there). I liked Victoria too; also happened to be the site of my first BQ (of the 3 it took to actually get in).

Another big part of the fun of Hartford is that I see so many people that I know, whether they are running, cheering, or volunteering.  It's so great seeing random people I know along the route, and they usually see me first and shout my name.  And somebody usually hosts a post-race party.

Also, update:  It is a BQ course for 2021.  Hooray!!!

<3

Just a warmup, hang out with sis day.  We walked the Burke Lake park loop, then NY strips and grilled romaine for lunch.  I also prepping dinner of manicotti with crape shells for my sister and I, and pork parm for my wife and mother in law....

next we are off to the air and space museum at Dulles.

Cyberic

Another big part of the fun of Hartford is that I see so many people that I know, whether they are running, cheering, or volunteering.  It's so great seeing random people I know along the route, and they usually see me first and shout my name.  And somebody usually hosts a post-race party.

I feel the same about the Montreal marathon. The only problem, for me, is that it's in September, and it's too hot about every other year. But other than that, I love the fact of running my local marathon.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I feel the same about the Montreal marathon. The only problem, for me, is that it's in September, and it's too hot about every other year. But other than that, I love the fact of running my local marathon.

I'm fortunate geographically as two of the three marathons I ran did not require an overnight stay. The NJ marathon and the NY marathon.  The former I could run each year if I so chose.  The latter would require more work to run every year.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

onemile

I feel mehhh about Lakefront marathon, which is my local marathon... can't really get excited about racing it.  I paced it twice but I dunno I've run part of that route many times and it's a smaller race and just doesn't do it for me.

I'd much rather run Indy even though it's a 4 hour drive than any of the closer options

DavePNW

I'd much rather run Indy even though it's a 4 hour drive than any of the closer options

Everybody loves IMM! Seems to be the place to go if you really want to hammer one.

Dave

DavePNW

My main locals, Seattle and RnR Seattle, are both terrible to race - hilly AF (although the former is my PR). Both would have the social aspect with my running group; a lot of people run, them plus we supply the pacers. I would probably pace either of them - I was booked to pace RnR last year before it was shut down. They've rescheduled RnR this year for 8/22, although it's only a half now, and IDK if they'll have pacers. And Seattle is 1 week before CIM, so not a great idea to pace the full, although I could do a half.

Of course there are a number of other same-day race options, but most are not too exciting. Potentially interesting is the famous tunnel marathon; they run several times per year on the same course, which involves 2000 ft of steady downhill. People go there for their PRs and BQ's.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I haven't run either of my local marathons but have done the HM at each. I was supposed to finally run RnR and it's currently scheduled for Oct so we'll see. I have no interest in Carlsbad.

Multiple marathons in LA area but that doesn't let me sleep in my own bed. Does Tijuana have a marathon?