Beginners and Beyond

Are you afraid to share your race goals? (Read 106 times)

onemile

Do you keep your race goals a secret, so as not to tempt the running gods or are you unafraid to state them upfront like Shalane?

FreeSoul's thread yesterday made me think about this.  Usually I'm not afraid to put mine out there but I am also usually fairly confident that I can hit them or come close (although I don't always).

bluerun

Super B****

I'm not AFRAID to share them... I just don't like to jinx myself. 

(If I wouldn't have SAID I wanted a sub-1:40 at Tel Aviv, it totally would have happened, injury be damned.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

Good question, as a rule I generally keep all that stuff to myself but more as an don't count your chickens before they hatch type of thing than being afraid.

If asked sure I would share my goals, I just do not do it unsolicited or openly.

As for Shalane, she wears her heart and emotions on her sleeve and is not the braggadocios type so I have no problem with it.  Whereas my life experiences has taught me to keep my pie-hole closed until the deal is sealed and for the most part I follow that.  lol

happylily

That's a good topic, onemile.

I was like you, fairly accurate in picking my goals, so not afraid to state them. But lately, I've been feeling pressure (could be all in my head) to perform and it stresses me. The pressure comes from the forums, but also from family members. After 14 marathons, at my age, I feel I may have reached my limits. I train as hard as I can, but this year, I haven't seen any improvements. When I talk about this, here or with friends, I am told that it's nothing, that the improvements will come, nothing is impossible, etc, etc... I know people are trying to be positive and I appreciate that. But what if they are wrong and I have seen my biggest PRs and now I can only hope to hang on for a while, and then slow down? Will I be judged for that? My goals for my upcoming races are slower than my marathon PR, because it's more important for me to be realistic than to be hopeful. I don't like sharing my goals anymore, because I feel like a wuss for not believing that I can get faster. But on the other hand, I am in tune with my body and I know that it's not because I haven't tried my best. I have to be realistic, so to hell with PRs. I guess I am now entering the AG PRs phase. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Obviously, there is no such thing as "running gods" or a "jinx" - it's just the excuse people use to avoid putting out a goal and then feeling like a failure in front of their peers.   And if you watched the Loser video I posted, maybe we should be putting it out there on the line more often. Smile

DavePNW

Obviously, there is no such thing as "running gods" or a "jinx" - it's just the excuse people use to avoid putting out a goal and then feeling like a failure in front of their peers.   And if you watched the Loser video I posted, maybe we should be putting it out there on the line more often. Smile

This is coming from someone who has been jinxed by the running gods plenty. 

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But on the other hand, I am in tune with my body and I know that it's not because I haven't tried my best. I have to be realistic, so to hell with PRs. I guess I am now entering the AG PRs phase. 

That's more the era of, "I ran the best I could under the conditions that day."

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I may be reaching a point where I won't be willing to share my goals after several major failures to reach them this year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bluerun

Super B****

Well, then, find me another reason why it appears that I CAN jinx myself!

Really, though, I'm more like LRB -- I don't make a big deal out of announcing a goal, but if someone asks, I'm not going to hide it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

That's a good topic, onemile.

I was like you, fairly accurate in picking my goals, so not afraid to state them. But lately, I've been feeling pressure (could be all in my head) to perform and it stresses me. The pressure comes from the forums, but also from family members. After 14 marathons, at my age, I feel I may have reached my limits. I train as hard as I can, but this year, I haven't seen any improvements. When I talk about this, here or with friends, I am told that it's nothing, that the improvements will come, nothing is impossible, etc, etc... I know people are trying to be positive and I appreciate that. But what if they are wrong and I have seen my biggest PRs and now I can only hope to hang on for a while, and then slow down? Will I be judged for that? My goals for my upcoming races are slower than my marathon PR, because it's more important for me to be realistic than to be hopeful. I don't like sharing my goals anymore, because I feel like a wuss for not believing that I can get faster. But on the other hand, I am in tune with my body and I know that it's not because I haven't tried my best. I have to be realistic, so to hell with PRs. I guess I am now entering the AG PRs phase. 

See, I find this hard to believe that your PR's are behind you - mostly because your paces / workouts are beyond what I can do. And your training.  Maybe you are training too hard and not getting enough recovery?  Running yourself into the ground?  (I am just speculating here).

In regards to the pressure, I know that I am the only one who cares about my race times. No one else does. Any pressure I feel is pressure I put on myself. And I can't really imagine anyone here on this forum or any forum would judge you other than be impressed with the effort you put forth in your training and racing.

But I can see why you feel frustrated if you feel like you aren't seeing the progress you want. It sucks to feel like you are doing everything you can and not seeing results. And even if you don't PR again (which I don't believe is the case), you have 14 impressive marathons under your belt and no one can take that away from you.

onemile

Yeah that's pretty much my thought. People respond differently to pressure though and some people may perform better if they don't feel the pressure of putting their goals out there. I kind of like it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am superstitious enough to believe in jinxes and running gods...... Deena Kastor believes in running gods! She admitted it on Spirit of the Marathon 

For first timers like a marathon, I don't really want to announce my crazy goal, I will announce my conservative goal if asked. Yesterday some people on here  (including lily) cornered me and demanded my crazy goal so I caved.

Which reminds me, tomorrow officially marks 30 days until the IMM so do not be concerned if I start soundin crazy.........er.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah that's pretty much my thought. People respond differently to pressure though and some people may perform better if they don't feel the pressure of putting their goals out there. I kind of like it.

This is me.  If I say something, I might feel too stressed to perform even though on the day in question, I can barely breathe, only to realize that had I not caused extra stress I might have felt better or not have an asthma bout created by the stress.  So, for fear of ridicule or disappointment (of me or of others), I don't share my goals often.  But people have an idea of where I think I'll end up with.  I am always truthful in my RRs that if I shot for a PR or whatnot and what I ended up running, so you will see if I failed or not by the end result.  But prior to the race, I feel that if I do I am stressing about it afterwards.

I am not expecting to PR next weekend so there.  I got my goal out for YOU PEOPLE.

Damaris

I don't mind sharing my race goals with friends and family members who are interested and I would share here if prompted. My goals tend to be pretty conservative, though, since I haven't "raced" much, so I'm usually not worried about falling short. And, lately, my goals have typically been to have fun and finish uninjured - I don't like having a set time goal if I don't have enough information to base it off of.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

happylily

Thanks for the pep talk, onemile. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010