Beginners and Beyond

Nike sub 2 hour marathon attempt (Read 39 times)

Cyberic

So is this still a win for Nike?  Should I buy Nike stock first thing Monday?

Sure is a win for the brand, IMO.

Was it the shoes, or was it the event conditions (fresh pacers, they chose a perfect date, perfect course, etc)?

We'll know when they compete in real races wearing thoses shoes.

But whatever the reasons... I'm still impressed.

Cyberic

Did you see the publicity they did for it? It's really good!

https://www.facebook.com/nike/videos/10154919213913445/

workinprogress11

Was it the shoes, or was it the event conditions (fresh pacers, they chose a perfect date, perfect course, etc)?

The more I read, the more I think it was mostly the conditions.  In particular, I read the runners were given their drinks via someone riding next to them on a bike so they didn't have to slow down at all to grab them.

From the Internet.

That was closer than I expected for that first attempt.

Right? I would say that's a big success for Nike as a brand, at any rate.

I slept like crazy yesterday and set an alarm for 11:45. Put it on my phone with headphones in because I didn't feel like leaving my bed to watch. Obviously I fell asleep, had wild dreams about it (the announcers were saying crazy things, like they were super close but they were also going to run another 12 miles or something, and also there was a women's sub-2 hour attempt at the same time, and also there was a koala bear with eyes on the sides of its head and the eyes kept moving around and it totally freaked me out). Woke up right after it ended. I'm still not sure what was real and what wasn't in terms of the announcer voices I heard, haha.

LRB

Right? I would say that's a big success for Nike as a brand, at any rate.

I slept like crazy yesterday and set an alarm for 11:45. Put it on my phone with headphones in because I didn't feel like leaving my bed to watch. Obviously I fell asleep, had wild dreams about it (the announcers were saying crazy things, like they were super close but they were also going to run another 12 miles or something, and also there was a women's sub-2 hour attempt at the same time, and also there was a koala bear with eyes on the sides of its head and the eyes kept moving around and it totally freaked me out). Woke up right after it ended. I'm still not sure what was real and what wasn't in terms of the announcer voices I heard, haha.

Hilarious!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From what I've read the most significant aid to the time was the pace car and huge clock on top acting as a wind break for drafting, much more so than the pacers.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Well they can pretty easily strap a pair of those shoes on someone and have them run a regular marathon. But they didn't, because it's a total crapshoot whether that would yield a favorable result - no way imo the shoes would have a greater effect than all the other usual factors. This whole to-do was better marketing.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Well they can pretty easily strap a pair of those shoes on someone and have them run a regular marathon. But they didn't, because it's a total crapshoot whether that would yield a favorable result - no way imo the shoes would have a greater effect than all the other usual factors. This whole to-do was better marketing.

Prototypes of the shoes were worn by Nike runners in the US Olympic trials and Olympics.

Cyberic

Half Crazy K 2.0

If you have $250 to spend on shoes, here's the RW story on the Nike Zoom Vaporlfy 4%.

LRB

If you have $250 to spend on shoes, here's the RW story on the Nike Zoom Vaporlfy 4%.

"The stack heights (a measure of all materials between your foot and the road) are 35.7 millimeters in the heel and 24.8mm in the forefoot, on par with heavier daily training shoes."

That this thing checks in at 6.9 ounces (men's size 10) with that height is eyeopening, at least for me when compared to my marathon PR shoe of 6.7 ounces and stack heights of 23 & 15 (men's size 9).

I couldn't wear even if I wanted to though because my body rejects Nike shoes fervently for whatever reason. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

My Wave Riders are 30 and 18. There is a "budget" alternative for only $150. Neither are available until June. Bet they sell out quick.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I forget how drop is calculated. Isn't that a high drop?  At 6oz they would be perfect for me but for the drop.

Damaris

Cyberic

I forget how drop is calculated. Isn't that a high drop?  At 6oz they would be perfect for me but for the drop.

For drop calculation it's the big number minus the smaller number. So from the numbers LRB posted, 35.7 - 24.8 = 10.9 mm drop.