Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: nanu-nanu (Read 40 times)

LRB

Yeah, that pretty much sucked.  Fortunately I had a license I could use to load Microsoft office.

I ended up trying Open Office for free, so far so good. It is really a kick in the nuts though to have pay $10 a month for the life of a computer for Word programs. Whose idea was that?!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm doing my part for cyber Monday. Got a pair of Wave riders from the 'house, registered for another spring half (with a 20% discount) and a 5k on Saturday.

Cyberic

Cyberic

I ended up trying Open Office for free, so far so good. It is really a kick in the nuts though to have pay $10 a month for the life of a computer for Word programs. Whose idea was that?!

A new model for software vendors: instead of selling you the software, and having to support 3-4 versions of it (the vendor I mean), the customer pays a monthly fee and always has access to the latest version. That way, the vendor can more easily force the customers to upgrade to the latest version.

Soon there will be far less software bought and installed on your computer. The functionality will sit in the cloud (on a web site) and you will access it when needed if you're allowed to (it can be free, think hotmail, gmail, or it can be through a monthly fee, or whatever).

The monthly fee you're paying for Office is actually Office 365. When you have access to O365, you have the option to install the software locally, or use the web based version, or both. If you leave your files on your OneDrive, you can access them from any computer using the same O365 subscription, and you can install the software on many computers.

LRB

The monthly fee you're paying for Office is actually Office 365. When you have access to O365, you have the option to install the software locally, or use the web based version, or both. If you leave your files on your OneDrive, you can access them from any computer using the same O365 subscription, and you can install the software on many computers.

Yes, all of that is made clear when you log on the first time, I just posted the condensed version.

I've been resistant to use any type of cloud storage system going back to when it was first offered with music and photo services a decade ago, and certainly will not store my personal documents in one.

I would much rather pay a one time fee that is fair than piece meal some shit out per month for the length that I used the device, but I understand that's the way the world is going.

Still, I cannot envision a scenario where anything of mine is stored in a cloud, ever. It's just not happening. And I don't know who came up with that $10 a month fee but that's just crazy talk, I am never paying that.

Cyberic

I've used Open Office for a long time. Works very well. Now my company pays an O365 subscription to all its employees, so I moved back to M$

LRB

I've used Open Office for a long time. Works very well. Now my company pays an O365 subscription to all its employees, so I moved back to M$

lol

At first I thought that was a typo.

Zelanie

I'm hoping the "rent office acces" model doesn't last. 

I can't believe I missed the RW gift card sale this year! Did nobody post about it, or did I miss it?

Mmmmm...beer

I can't believe I missed the RW gift card sale this year! Did nobody post about it, or did I miss it?

I missed it too, and I was even trying to keep an eye for it.  Always a good deal.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

I'm hoping the "rent office acces" model doesn't last. 

I could be mistaken, but I thought Boonie Boon Boon posted about it the day they came out.

Zelanie

I could be mistaken, but I thought Boonie Boon Boon posted about it the day they came out.

I must have been working too hard that day. 

cjones1

I missed it too, and I was even trying to keep an eye for it.  Always a good deal.

It popped up in my facebook feed, otherwise I would have never known about it.  I'll make sure and announce it next time. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

onemile

I bought $200 of the gift cards but that may have been a mistake. Since I just ordered those 3 pairs of shoes from Nordstrom.

LRB

I bought $200 of the gift cards but that may have been a mistake. Since I just ordered those 3 pairs of shoes from Nordstrom.

There will always be a need for RW cash, it's like the supermarket for runners, groceries are a necessity. Smile

onemile

There will always be a need for RW cash, it's like the supermarket for runners, groceries are a necessity. Smile

I suppose. Except I buy most of my clothes at Lululemon.