Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 16 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hi guys.  Not a very creative thread title, sorry!  I still have one week left of school and all creativity is gone, I tell you!  Tonight I will probably run 6 with the group.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, plus a joint team meeting between the old and new teams.  I think the old team may regret sending the new team on this educational weekend -- we're not going to be satisfied with maintaining the status quo,and change is always a little scary!!  Good, though.  I am inspired by Zelanie to attempt my first ever Boston cream pie this weekend.  I have my recipe, and I'm sending DH for the ingredients.  Ours won't have strawberries, though, as DH doesn't much like them.

Zelanie -- good morning, and enjoy your 6!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Pilates and maybe a run, not sure.

Damaris

Zelanie

HsM- Hope the pie turns out well! Does your recipe also call for beating the flour with the oil and eggs, and baking in a pie pan?

Singer who runs a smidge

Mine calls for hot milk in the sponge cake (whole milk at that), and butter, but not oil.  I can't remember the procedure.  But I'm baking in a cake pan, not a pie pan.  I have the America's Test Kitchen Baking Cookbook -- their stuff is not necessarily easy, but always tastes incredible!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi pens. Exhausted already - phone calls all morning. Kittycat's situation is much more complicated and possibly more dire than I thought after speaking with the vet last night. Taking her to an emergency/specialty practice first thing tomorrow - don't know how long she'll be at her vet today, and I selfishly need one more night of snuggles with her before I put her in the car, stress her out, and potentially send her into surgery.

Zelanie

I like America's Test Kitchen stuff. Works well. I used the food network recipe for this one.

Lauren, hugs!

Mine calls for hot milk in the sponge cake (whole milk at that), and butter, but not oil.  I can't remember the procedure.  But I'm baking in a cake pan, not a pie pan.  I have the America's Test Kitchen Baking Cookbook -- their stuff is not necessarily easy, but always tastes incredible!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi pens. Exhausted already - phone calls all morning. Kittycat's situation is much more complicated and possibly more dire than I thought after speaking with the vet last night. Taking her to an emergency/specialty practice first thing tomorrow - don't know how long she'll be at her vet today, and I selfishly need one more night of snuggles with her before I put her in the car, stress her out, and potentially send her into surgery.

Hugs to you and your kitty, Lauren!!

GinnyinPA

Z - enjoy your group run this evening.  Did the cake taste as good as it looked?

HM - Have fun making your version.  My mother used to use cake pans for hers as well.  Good luck with the meeting.

Lauren - sending hugs your way.  I hope you get good news from the vets today.

D - are you sore from your race or just not in the mood to run this week?

AFM:  Drizzly day here, so I'll probably do a few on the TM later.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What?  I thought on your post last night that it was good news (no cancer, etc.)  Hope he is OK.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Z - enjoy your group run this evening.  Did the cake taste as good as it looked?

HM - Have fun making your version.  My mother used to use cake pans for hers as well.  Good luck with the meeting.

Lauren - sending hugs your way.  I hope you get good news from the vets today.

D - are you sore from your race or just not in the mood to run this week?

AFM:  Drizzly day here, so I'll probably do a few on the TM later.

I wasn't sore from the race at all.  Just taking advantage that this week is the All Stars on the 2015 in 2015 and my miles do not count.  Therefore, I can take a break.  I start training for Chicago soon.  Like this month soon.

Damaris

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Morning!  Opted to do a 3 mile hike instead of a 3 mile run today; I figure with a 26lb toddler on my back it counts as aerobic training.

From the Internet.

What?  I thought on your post last night that it was good news (no cancer, etc.)  Hope he is OK.

Still no cancer, but she has chylothorax, which is a weird mystery condition in cats and dogs. If they can find the cause and fix it (possibly that weird presumably non-cancerous mass in her chest), she might be OK, but since it can happen for a variety of reasons or no reason at all, there's no guarantee that surgery will fix it, and if her lungs are already damaged it's not likely to be worth putting her through the stress of surgery.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

5.1 miles along the Boardwalk. Very enjoyable running weather. Lots of bridal stuff to do. My sister vetoed me wearing my running watch (which is also my activity tracker) during the wedding. I told her I can't live without it Wink girly stuff later - pedicures and such. I can't wait for the look of horror when I tell them to keep my callouses on :d My sister is also a runner so I won't be alone.

Lauren - I hope your kitty turns out okay

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)