Beginners and Beyond

Snowy MonDailies (Read 31 times)

DavePNW

Very good point. Very very good point, sir!

MTA: I am willing to modify Hansons' workouts to meet my needs, so why not substitute Pfitz workouts also with something more adequate for me, like simply another VO2Max workout.

I'll look at it again tonight Smile

If I were you, I'd do the same damn Hansons plan as for your first marathon, because you fucking killed that thing.

Dave

onemile

but will be on a cruise ship, so a 22-miler will be a special challenge.

treadmill 22 miler... just think of the gold star for that.

Cyberic

If I were you, I'd do the same damn Hansons plan as for your first marathon, because you fucking killed that thing.

What I love about Hansons is the alternating weeks for long runs. But for that to work, you need to be rock steady on those Thursday MP runs. That is the big question mark on my mind right now (DDs soccer games). Unless I did those on Fridays instead. Now that might make sense.

Cyberic

LRB

Very good point. Very very good point, sir!

MTA: I am willing to modify Hansons' workouts to meet my needs, so why not substitute Pfitz workouts also with something more adequate for me, like simply another VO2Max workout.

I'll look at it again tonight Smile

Having said all of that I wouldn't do that dumb shit either. lol

But my aversion has more to do with the length of some of the runs and the overall volume than the workouts.

DavePNW

Bigger issue is I doubly DW will let me go for a 3 hour run.

There's a track on the deck too. No idea how many laps/mile. And Garmin will go haywire on a moving ship.

MTA: apparently 300m. I would probably pick that over the treadmill.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

but will be on a cruise ship, so a 22-miler will be a special challenge.

The last ship I was on had a quarter mile track on one of the decks.  You'd need to hit that thing really early in the day though before the swarms of walkers wake up and start waddling around it.  Also, footpod will be needed because a moving ships tends to mess with the GPS numbers.  Smile   The cruise we recently bailed on was a new ship that has a half mile fully covered track that went around one of the decks.  I was looking forward to that, as cruise running goes anyway.  

<3

LRB

If he wants. 

That's exactly it with running! If you don't want to do a particular plan or even a race distance, nothing anyone says matters.

LRB

Which part of "I haven't picked one yet" did you not understand? 

Seriously, IDK, but I would generally prefer not to travel if I can avoid it. I'm kind of half-thinking about doing the same one I did last fall. Which I didn't love because it was small and boring, and is in mid-Sept so higher chance of warm weather. But it's flat, logistics are easy, and weather is a risk no matter what you pick. Also being early in the season means I need to get on the stick. Actually just checked, it is on 9/11, not sure if that's a bad sign. Also I am on vacation 8/13-8/20, which is bad timing since I would have to be peaking at that point. No aversion to running on vacation, but will be on a cruise ship, so a 22-miler will be a special challenge.

There is nothing in October out there ffs? Go back and read that race report, I didn't think you would ever consider running that thing again.

onemile

Having said all of that I wouldn't do that dumb shit either. lol

But my aversion has more to do with the length of some of the runs and the overall volume than the workouts.

+1  I am not interested in easy paced 12-14 mile runs mid-week, especially not multiples.

My last marathon cycle (Hudson coach) suited me perfectly and I would 100% train that way again.

Only one run over 18 miles.

Almost every long run had a faster paced component (fast finish, progression, MP, long run mix).

Mid-week double digit runs almost always had a workout component.

Rest day every 2-3 weeks, spread the mileage out more, so I was running the same mpw but feeling less burnt out and less injured but running as much as I ever have.

And I was able to run the closest to my McMillan prediction as I ever have.

Baboon

delicate flower

Sports!

<3

DavePNW

There is nothing in October out there ffs? Go back and read that race report, I didn't think you would ever consider running that thing again.

Well if I re-read any of my race reports, I'd never consider doing ANY marathon again.

Here are all the fall races within 150 miles from me, according to FindMyMarathon.com. Excluding races that are non-certified, those classified as "hilly" or "very hilly", and those specified as "trail" or "mostly trail".

Race Name City State Distance 2015 Date 2016 Date Avg Temp Finishers PR Score Course Score

Lake Chelan Shore to Shore Marathon

Lake Chelan WA 95 miles 9/6/2014 9/10/2016 66F / 18C 112 96.79 97.27

Skagit Flats Marathon

Burlington WA 44 miles 9/7/2014 9/11/2016 57F / 13C 200 99.28 99.79

Bellingham Bay Marathon

Bellingham WA 64 miles 9/28/2014 9/25/2016 56F / 13C 383 98.33 98.48

Leavenworth Marathon

Leavenworth WA 74 miles 10/4/2014 10/1/2016 63F / 17C 300 101.83 102.8

Victoria Marathon

Victoria BC 66 miles 10/12/2014 10/9/2016 47F / 8C 1,386 98.83 98.83

Dog Lake Marathon

White Pass WA 99 miles 10/18/2014 10/15/2016 45F / 7C 43 102.09 102.09

Seattle Marathon

Seattle WA 16 miles 11/30/2014 11/27/2016 41F / 5C 1,794 98.87 98.87

Dave

onemile

Well if I re-read any of my race reports, I'd never consider doing ANY marathon again.

Here are all the fall races within 150 miles from me, according to FindMyMarathon.com. Excluding races that are non-certified, those classified as "hilly" or "very hilly", and those specified as "trail" or "mostly trail".

Race Name City State Distance 2015 Date 2016 Date Avg Temp Finishers PR Score Course Score

Lake Chelan Shore to Shore Marathon

Lake Chelan WA 95 miles 9/6/2014 9/10/2016 66F / 18C 112 96.79 97.27

Skagit Flats Marathon

Burlington WA 44 miles 9/7/2014 9/11/2016 57F / 13C 200 99.28 99.79

Bellingham Bay Marathon

Bellingham WA 64 miles 9/28/2014 9/25/2016 56F / 13C 383 98.33 98.48

Leavenworth Marathon

Leavenworth WA 74 miles 10/4/2014 10/1/2016 63F / 17C 300 101.83 102.8

Victoria Marathon

Victoria BC 66 miles 10/12/2014 10/9/2016 47F / 8C 1,386 98.83 98.83

Dog Lake Marathon

White Pass WA 99 miles 10/18/2014 10/15/2016 45F / 7C 43 102.09 102.09

Seattle Marathon

Seattle WA 16 miles 11/30/2014 11/27/2016 41F / 5C 1,794 98.87 98.87

Victoria!

DavePNW

My cycle:

I am not interested in easy paced 12-14 mile runs mid-week, especially not multiples. Every week, sometimes twice.

Only one run over 18 miles. 4x18, 4x20+

Almost every long run had a faster paced component (fast finish, progression, MP, long run mix). I think only 4 did.

Mid-week double digit runs almost always had a workout component. Nope.

Rest day every 2-3 weeks Once a week.

I was running the same mpw but feeling less burnt out and less injured but running as much as I ever have.

And I was able to run the closest to my McMillan prediction as I ever have.

Yes to both of these.

Different ways to skin a cat.

Dave

DavePNW

Victoria!

That may be a good option, but the distance shown is misleading. It's actually 5 hrs away, because you have to take two ferries to get there.

Dave