Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 20 times)

DavePNW

NYCM for non-NYRR members is $315. 

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yeah, the non-marquee races may be cheap, but the big events cost. I suspect the marathon and other big races subsidize the others.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

Yeah, the non-marquee races may be cheap, but the big events cost. I suspect the marathon and other big races subsidize the others.

It’s “only” $255 for NYRR members. Not sure if it was the same when you ran it last year, or if it’s gone up.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It’s “only” $255 for NYRR members. Not sure if it was the same when you ran it last year, or if it’s gone up.

Sounds about right; maybe $10 cheaper. Some say I have to add the cost of the 9 races I ran to guarantee entry but I got to run those races, so I don't agree.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

Ridiculous. Plus >$2000 for travel 

I wouldn't mind having one expensive big goal race for the year, even for some iconic HM rather than a full, and having it be a bit pricy. But like a silly HM 20 min from my house that mostly uses public parks AND still costs $130. GTFO.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

At least one of them I know is! She's a little like you - an extensive marathoning history (well not as many as you), but having a rough go over the last few years. She's working on her 6 stars, so it's mainly a "just finish."

It will be a just finish for me too. Not stressing about it MORE than I already am, lol.

Damaris

DavePNW

Sounds about right; maybe $10 cheaper. Some say I have to add the cost of the 9 races I ran to guarantee entry but I got to run those races, so I don't agree.

Yeah, you probably would have run them anyway. I ran and paid for a whole bunch of races too.

Dave

DavePNW

Ridiculous. Plus >$2000 for travel 

Oh yeah, I might as well go ahead and get a hotel booked! Pretty much everything in the area is $400 minimum, x at least 3 nights.

Dave

DavePNW

No run this morning, due to 6AM meeting, plus it looks pretty icy out. Hopefully I'll be able to get out at some point later.

Knocked off early and ran 10 miles at 3pm. Turned out to be the right thing to do, it was 38 and a little drizzly by then, and any ice that might have been there was melted.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh yeah, I might as well go ahead and get a hotel booked! Pretty much everything in the area is $400 minimum, x at least 3 nights.

When I booked my first, it was around $560 and that was the government rate, so yeah, book it already.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

$400/night? There had better be water slides!

(that's my current hotel booking thought process...)

Baboon

delicate flower

So what's going on, did you apply with a non-NYRR qualifier and now you have to wait to hear if you made it?  I thought those slots were first come, first served.  Admittedly I have not really paid too close attention to how the NYCM entry works.

<3

DavePNW

So what's going on, did you apply with a non-NYRR qualifier and now you have to wait to hear if you made it?  I thought those slots were first come, first served.  Admittedly I have not really paid too close attention to how the NYCM entry works.

They changed it this year—it’s no longer first come first served. Non-NYRR time qualifiers have from today through 3/6 to apply, and then they’ll use a Boston-style cutoff as needed. I’m not too worried because I have a pretty big cushion. But I plan to apply today anyway. 

Next year another big change—they’ll no longer accept a HM time.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

They changed it this year—it’s no longer first come first served. Non-NYRR time qualifiers have from today through 3/6 to apply, and then they’ll use a Boston-style cutoff as needed. I’m not too worried because I have a pretty big cushion. But I plan to apply today anyway. 

Next year another big change—they’ll no longer accept a HM time.

These seem like a couple of logical changes.  Good luck with your application!

<3