Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies: Running swampstyle. (Read 38 times)

LRB

Total bike miles ridden 2013-2015:  2040 (15 mph avg)

Total bike miles ridden 2016:  2110 (17.3 mph avg)

Total bike miles ridden before I became a runner: 100 million.

Total bike miles ridden after I became a runner: 0. lol

Nice job, yo. You're gonna smoke a whole lot of ass out there.

bluerun

Super B****

Trainer 20 + AlterG 4.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Quick question.

I post on the loop section of RW, and someone mentioned that I should use the lap time instead of pace time.

When I post on here about my track workouts, should I post the lap time instead of pace for ya'll? Or do you guys get the idea?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Trainer 20 + AlterG 4.

You swim, bike and run a lot, are you like a triathlete masquerading as a runner?

LRB

Or do you guys get the idea?

No, we're stupid. 

You can post either, or both. I usually just post my splits, but have in the past posted the pace.

bluerun

Super B****

You swim, bike and run a lot, are you like a triathlete masquerading as a runner?

I retired from those four years ago!!  I swim because I enjoy it and I bike because my body is a shit and won't let me run as much as I'd like.

chasing the impossible

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No, we're stupid. 

You can post either, or both. I usually just post my splits, but have in the past posted the pace.

By splits do you mean the time around the track? My 220 calls the splits the Laps, but I can post the time of each lap and the average pace for it.

Also, another question: Should I not do any speed training (track session) this coming weekend so my legs are fresh for the 10k race on August 6 (next Saturday)? Or would it hurt to go Sunday night and do a 1-2 mile warm up and then run 4 laps close to as hard as I can just to gauge my ability?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

I retired from those four years ago!!  I swim because I enjoy it and I bike because my body is a shit and won't let me run as much as I'd like.

Omg, really?? I was just clowning around! What distances? What are your PRs? Which discipline were you the best in? Where are the pics? WE NEED DEETS YO!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

By splits do you mean the time around the track? My 220 calls the splits the Laps, but I can post the time of each lap and the average pace for it.

Also, another question: Should I not do any speed training (track session) this coming weekend so my legs are fresh for the 10k race on August 6 (next Saturday)? Or would it hurt to go Sunday night and do a 1-2 mile warm up and then run 4 laps close to as hard as I can just to gauge my ability?

The convention for those of us who have actually trained for and raced track events is to specify the time for each repeat or interval. e.g 12 x 400m in 80 seconds, not 12 x 400m at 5:22 pace (5:20 for 1600m is approx 5:22 for a mile).

It's an individual question, but I prefer running my last speed session about 3-4 days before the race, but only about half to 2/3 of what I typically do, e.g. if I normally run 5 x 800m, I'll only run 3 x 800m. I run those at the normal pace for intervals. I would strongly advise against running 4 laps anywhere near as hard as you can. If you wanted to run some sort of time trial leading up to a race, I would suggest running it about 3 weeks prior.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

workinprogress11

I'd like to try a sprint tri but I'd probably still be swimming while everyone else was having their post race banana.

5 treadmill miles cause I had to run midday and wasn't going to do that outside.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

7 on the TM done.  Might not be midday but it is still feels like 99F, so we are having a cool front this week.  Lovely.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

Omg, really?? I was just clowning around! What distances? What are your PRs? Which discipline were you the best in? Where are the pics? WE NEED DEETS YO!

Did you really not know that?

I've only done two... Olympic and sprint (yes, in that order), and obviously I was best at the run!!  I suck at everything else.

chasing the impossible

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The convention for those of us who have actually trained for and raced track events is to specify the time for each repeat or interval. e.g 12 x 400m in 80 seconds, not 12 x 400m at 5:22 pace (5:20 for 1600m is approx 5:22 for a mile).

It's an individual question, but I prefer running my last speed session about 3-4 days before the race, but only about half to 2/3 of what I typically do, e.g. if I normally run 5 x 800m, I'll only run 3 x 800m. I run those at the normal pace for intervals. I would strongly advise against running 4 laps anywhere near as hard as you can. If you wanted to run some sort of time trial leading up to a race, I would suggest running it about 3 weeks prior.

True, and honestly my big A goal is a big 5k PR and the 5k race I've got my eyes on is most likely on Thanksgiving Day. It's a big race, so if I do that one with my A goal, it's going to probably be tough to place in the top 3 AG. I'll have to look at the results if they've got them somewhere online, otherwise the next big 5k is the Hearts on Fire 5k next February, but there are a few in December and then there is the Race for the Cure in September but I don't know how close that date is to the Evansville Half Marathon.

I know well enough, from the last 3 speed interval training session thingies that right now anything under 7 min/mile pace is going to be difficult for me so if I do a speed workout this Sunday, I'll try and hold it around my 10k goal of a sub 8 min/mile pace and do something like 5x800m or something like that.

PRs

No more marathons

Mondays are my only planned day's off, and the morning I get to sleep in...... unfortunately that sleep was constantly interrupted by both a child and animals 

I hit the track last night a little after 8 PM, it was still 88 degrees, 77% humidity and a dew point of I have no idea.

I did a 1 mile warm up with a pace of 9:22 mm, then I began my 6x400m workout. 6 hard laps, 6 easy/recovery laps.

Lap 1 - 6:19 min/mile

Lap 2 - 8:43 min/mile

Lap 3 - 6:17 min/mile

Lap 4 - 8:56 min/mile

Lap 5 - 6:21 min/mile

Lap 6 - 9:04 min/mile

Lap 7 - 6:28 min/mile

Lap 8 - 9:09 min/mile

Lap 10 - 6:20 min/mile

Lap 11 - 9:27 min/mile

Lap 12 - 6:40 min/mile

Lap 13 - 9:25 min/mile

Lap 14 - Cool Down - 9:06 min/mile

A total of 4.5 miles, I considered getting 2-3 more miles on the track but changed my mind. After Saturday night's horrible run, I was pleased with Sunday night's workout.

But I must admit  that onemile is right, these workouts do suck when you really push yourself. I could feel myself wearing down around lap 7 or 8, and during each recovery lap, I was stopping at my cooler and pouring ice cold water on my head, I could seriously feel it go form ice cold to warm once it touched my head.

FS - how much do you feel the heat impacted your pace?

I've got a workout on my plan tomorrow of 12 X 200 at 1500 race pace.  For this PhatOldMan that equates to about 46 seconds for each 200.  But I'll be running at noon with a temp of 85 and dew point of 68.  I'm thinking that's going to add AT LEAST a couple of seconds per interval.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training. Works out well that I usually do that on Mondays, darn, missed running on the hottest & most uncomfortable day of the year. Now just waiting for more storms to pass through. They keep missing us, we get a light show & noise, but no rain.