Beginners and Beyond

Warning: Excuse making ahead (Read 92 times)

LRB

As a note, my quality runs are what I look the most forward to.

Me too. I am always thinking about the track. Speaking of that, it will be nice to get of the rolling hills of Stoney and onto a flat surface to run again.

The workout I skipped today is still there to be run, just on a day when I am mentally prepared to give it the attention it deserves. I am okay with it.

LRB

If that doesn't excite you, maybe order another pair of "pris"

I actually need to wear the pair I already have first. That will be interesting.

I decided to pass on racing heading into my half this season having tried it last year in similar arctic cold conditions conditions where I stunk the joint up.  Hopefully I made the right choice, we will know soon enough.

DavePNW

As a note, my quality runs are what I look the most forward to. 

^ this. I have rarely if ever missed, shortened or switched up a planned workout (easy or hard). Other than of course due to injury, which has been plenty.

Dave

DavePNW

I decided to pass on racing heading into my half this season having tried it last year in similar arctic cold conditions conditions where I stunk the joint up.  Hopefully I made the right choice, we will know soon enough.

You're still doing the Rock half, right?

Dave

LRB

You're still doing the Rock half, right?

More like the Rock half is doing me. lol

Yes.

DavePNW

More like the Rock half is doing me. lol

Yes.

If you know MI_Tim from L&O, I think he may be there too.

Dave

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good topic. I have been struggling with this myself but in my case it is fear of the workout. Speedwork terrifies me. A good rule of thumb I guess is determining if you are injured or fatigued. Fatigue for the most part, we can fight through and ease up more on the easy runs days. At least that is what my sadistic gurus say.

Looking forward to possibly seeing you in your new pink shoes at Grosse Isles.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

LRB

Looking forward to possibly seeing you in your new pink shoes at Grosse Isles.

Nah, those are just daily trainers. Gonna have to be picky where I wear them though.

Keep at the speed work, it is the reason most of us achieve our goals.

LRB

If you know MI_Tim from L&O, I think he may be there too.

Yes, I remember him mentioning that.

LRB

(And, I rarely stop to think of the time change affecting morning runners in the opposite way.  As a mostly-evening runner, the extra daylight coupled with a long-overdue break in the weather has had me flying higher than a satellite.)

I am waiting for the same effect on my end. If the time had not changed I would be golden, but you know there is always congress...

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I think it will be hard to pr this particular race. I registered for it before i registered for my goal marathon. This half falls smack dab in a high mile week so hopefully a small pr occurs. Or maybe a huge one If all goes well.   Smile

So bring a lawn chair and cooler and wait for me at the finish. Lol. The goal is to do better than 2:20.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

LRB

I think it will be hard to pr this particular race. I registered for it before i registered for my goal marathon. This half falls smack dab in a high mile week so hopefully a small pr occurs. Or maybe a huge one If all goes well.   Smile

So bring a lawn chair and cooler and wait for me at the finish. Lol. The goal is to do better than 2:20.

According to their Facebook page there was a course change due to the weather. As such there is now a small hill at mile 12.7, so there is another Bertha for you to slay.  Although I am told it is more like a bump but at that point in the race a bump might as well be a mountain.

In any case good luck with your goal! It is a great course and event, I have nothing but high praise for it.

outoftheblue

I'm a little late to this thread, so maybe the moment has passed.

But, I do think you need to give yourself permission to blow off a run or speed workout.  Slavish commitment to anything usually doesn't end well.  I really, really tried to grind through that Pfitz plan for my marathon and, in retrospect, I wish I had given myself more leeway to run less.   I think dreading runs may be a sign that you need a break, or at least a mini-break.   This running thing is supposed to be fun, right?

Life is good.

Mmmmm...beer

Definitely have to stay flexible.  I continually remind myself that I'm not getting paid to do this, so I better enjoy it.  Now that I've started speed work, I'm definitely enjoying the more challenging workouts.  But I have no problem sliding a workout, or even taking a week off like I'm doing right now, to ensure that I stay healthy, sane and keep enjoying this hobby. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Looks like a party on Grosse Ile! My daughter and are doing the half too. I'm aiming about the same time as you Lori, although i too am in the middle of a marathon cycle and may just treat it as my 9 mile pace run. Hanson's doesn't really allow for racing and I don't think I would change my marathon pace regardless of how I did in the half, yet I have a new year's resolution to PR my races this year. What to do, what to do?

Lori, will you be in a Canadian shirt (maybe you remember I spotted you at the Detroit marathon a few years ago)?