Beginners and Beyond

Question about Boston Marathon tactics (Read 101 times)

Love the Half

I joined a bunch of friends at a local sports bar to watch the Marathon this morning.  Despite what appeared to be fairly windy conditions, it seemed that both Ritz and Desi led for long portions of the race.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I had heard they expected a headwind.  Was that the case?  (We didn't have sound).  If so, why would they lead for so long?  Why not tuck back on occasion and let someone else do the work?  I never raced competitively so what am I missing here?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Half Crazy K 2.0

I didn't watch it, so guessing here. Do you think they were trying to dictate the pace with the thought of wearing down their competitors? Maybe the Americans assumed if it came down to the final mile, they wouldnt be able to win that battle?

Village people

There wa a headwind. They mentioned it when they were comparing the wheel chair times with last year's times. For awhile, it looked like the women were running in the same formstion that geese use when flying south. The leader changes during flight.

B-Plus

1. They were trying to be like that Meb guy; or

2. They knew they couldn't win, so why not get as much camera time as possible?

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I think they didn't get headwind until the Newton Fire Station, which is where people started getting dropped.

I had heard they expected a headwind.  Was that the case? 

Yes. Big grin

Village people

Yes. Big grin

Great race, Jay!!!! Congrats!

Thanks!

Love the Half

I didn't know if anyone could hear the commentary and if the commentators said anything about it.  I'm always interested to learn about race tactics but in this case, I don't have a clue.

And congrats Jay.  Excellent race dude.  Excellent.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From what the commentators said, it didn't seem like the wind was a factor until the leaders reached the Newton Hills.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

From what the commentators said, it didn't seem like the wind was a factor until the leaders reached the Newton Hills.

Ahhh.  OK.  We couldn't hear anything from the commentators and all of us were wondering why Desi and Ritz were out front given what we'd heard about the wind from the forecasts.

RSX

Who were the broadcasters for the national one? Local was a news anchor, Reavis, and Switzer. Reavis was overly critical of their tactics. A local sports guy asked her if she ran a smart race. That was 1 of the dumbest questions I have heard. At least Desi had tried this before. I'm just glad that she appears to be back

Desi answers some of the questions here. She acknowledges that some may question her tactics but I like her answers:

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/desiree-linden-top-american-woman-at-boston-marathon

I am a huge fan of hers. I love how she was a relative unknown in college and is now arguably the best U.S. female marathoner out there right now.

She had a plan and went after it. I applaud that. It was clear she didn't have the speed at the end to match the breakaway and I wonder how much of that was because she was setting the pace most of the way. But I think this quote tells the tale:

“[Sometimes] someone would creep up on my shoulder and I thought, they’re ready to pick it up, and I would tuck in [to the pack] and [the pace] would slow right back down, so I would go back to work on the front,” Linden said. “I couldn’t let [the pace] get too soft. The more people that are in there late, the further back I’m going to finish. So if that means me doing a little bit more work on the front, I was comfortable with that.”

LRB

Desi answers some of the questions here. She acknowledges that some may question her tactics but I like her answers...

Thanks for that post.

I caught the last 45 minutes of the race which was both captivating, and exhilarating. I would defer to her and her coaches on her strategy as I lack the knowledge and experience to even be minutely critical of it.

I will say that as an American, it was exiting to see her and Dathan in contention for as long as they were, and great that we had runners of both genders finish in the top 10 in the world.

It makes for an interesting Olympic trials which I am looking forward to.

RSX

I doubt Desi could have run much faster that day under any other strategy. I liked her answers after also. She is my hope to medal next year. Shalane may have peaked, but I don't think Desi has.

I was disappointed that Amy Hastings dropped. She trains in RI mostly so was curious how Boston would be for her.