Beginners and Beyond

Debut Marathon Training: Solo or Group Effort? (Read 97 times)

I ran 16 halfs and for 10 years prior to training for my first full (also a few 25k and a 30k race prior to the full).

So my running and training habits were well established and I already knew what I needed to do to get myself

to the finish line.

I learned about myself over the years that I don't like running on someone else's schedule. That I prefer to run

alone, other than with hubby,  and actually run better and pace myself better when I run alone.

This.

Although I haven't done *that* much racing. Our local women's running "team" (more of a group) is a coached group (Tues and Thurs evening) - for $100/yr, meeting only in summer. Which wasn't even a consideration for me starting out since I did field work in summer and ran mostly in winter. So it didn't work initially. Then my 2 on / 1 off schedule doesn't fit with Tues/Thurs schedule. I think their "long" runs are 30min out/30min back on Thurs, but some do longer runs together at other times.

I struggle to even follow any schedule, including Running Wizard. In Alaska spring weather, if the going is good, you go then, rather than waiting and doing your long run in the next snow storm - at least if training for snow free races.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

YAYpril - B-Plus

I mostly run alone but run my long runs with a friend who's pretty much exactly my pace. My marathon training begins in the middle of May (early September marathon) and she's running Chicago so some of our long run distances will overlap. I plan on doing some long runs with her and some on my own. I'm running the race by myself and while I have no problem running 10-12 miles solo, anything past that is new territory.

I've never been a big fan of "joining" a training group. I suppose the supported long runs would be fine but sometimes it's just nice to go by your own schedule and do your own thing. I'd recommend running with a group once in awhile for a change of pace (so to speak), but it is very easy to go faster than you should when you're running with other people.

Dreamn

If you are doing the marathon solo, you should attempt some of the LRs alone, or you'll be bored after 90 minutes of the race.

But she may find someone to run the marathon with Smile and not run the marathon solo.  It could go either way.

OP, what marathon is it?

Anomalous

I know this totally depends on the individual runners physical capabilities, years of running, experience,goals

average miles over many years etc. BUT just wanted to say that I never run more than 4 days/week and have

successfully completed 5 marathons with #6 coming on May 12th.

First one at 4:39 and  with a PR of 4:20 last Sept on less than 38mpw average over the training cycle. Probably 

my highest mileage week was about 43 miles.

I do however do a lots of cycling in lieu of a 5th day of running. Probably cycling 3 days/week during training for

a fall marathon. I know lots of people will say this doesn't work but it does for me. One never knows what will

work for them until they try it and I guess that would include trying the group runs.

I'm thinking it has the extra day because their marathon programs are only 12-13 weeks long because they train for specific races. Mine just happened to follow the timeline Undecided. The time could be adjusted, but I think I'll just be repeating a training week(s).

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Anomalous

Thanks again guys!

But she may find someone to run the marathon with Smile and not run the marathon solo.  It could go either way.

OP, what marathon is it?

^^ I think Damaris was sharing that with ernsm1th, but she made a good point! Smile

I'm running Richmond in November. The group is specifically training for Savannah, NYC, and OBX. They allow you to join in if your race coincides with the groups goals. I'll be running it basically solo.

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I seem to be the dissenting voice here, but that's not unusual. As long as running with the group isn't getting you committed to raising funds a la TNT I think the support and encouragement you get from a group can be a very positve part of training. It can help you through periods of doubt, may increase your sense of committment since you're expected to show up to run. (It can be very easy to fabricate excuses when training gets tough.) And you'll only be running with the group twice a week, so there's plenty of opportunity for solo runs. With only a 13 week program you'll also be on your own to build your base leading up to the beginning of the program.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I started running with a group on weekends, since I'm slow it's become really 3 of us, we'll do the long runs together, it makes the miles go by quick, and yet you don't even realize it. I'm not going to win the marathon, so they're not hurting my speed or pace or anything, we basically run at the same pace.

Anomalous

I seem to be the dissenting voice here, but that's not unusual. As long as running with the group isn't getting you committed to raising funds a la TNT I think the support and encouragement you get from a group can be a very positve part of training. It can help you through periods of doubt, may increase your sense of committment since you're expected to show up to run. (It can be very easy to fabricate excuses when training gets tough.) And you'll only be running with the group twice a week, so there's plenty of opportunity for solo runs. With only a 13 week program you'll also be on your own to build your base leading up to the beginning of the program.

Trust me George. You're opinion is quite invaluable Wink

Luke79

Option B sounds like much more fun and probably advantageous.  I voted A because that's all you NEED.  Go with B if you can.

B-Plus

Nothing wrong with a 13-week plan as long as you have a solid base beforehand. I ran my PR off a 12-week plan. I think it really comes down to whether you train better solo or in a group. I prefer solo, but to be honest I've never tried group training. If you don't know what you're doing (and I'm not suggesting that), it may be beneficial to do the group workouts to have people pace and push you.

workinprogress11

Last year during marathon training I was running 6 days a week and ran them all alone except my long run on Saturday which I ran at least part of with my running partner.  There was one weekend that he wussed out because it was raining and I ran 20 miles by myself.  I learned that day that I much prefer running 20 miles with someone else.

Anomalous

Thank you everyone, again for your advice!

I found out today that one of my running friends actually used the training group and basically stated that it really wasn't worth it because she ended up running mostly on her own during the group runs and it really wasn't as supportive as she would have liked, because she wasn't one of the speedy runners (elite). She stated that I would come off better following a novice program and just run my LSDs with an RP or I can still use the course that the club uses on the weekend. She's supposed to forward me a copy of the training program that the coaches emailed to her on a weekly basis and a copy of her log. From what she described, it's pretty much like any other program I can find online.

Note:  She did say that the food after the Saturday LRs was the best part of the training. LOL

Oh well... it didn't hurt to ask and inquire! Wink

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If there's no one to run with, you lose half the benefit of the program. I would be nice if you can find a RP at your speed. Th elong solo runs have always been the most difficult for me, not because they are physically demanding but I get bored when I run solo longer than 2 hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.