Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES Trek into Darkness (Read 38 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Or publicly flogged.

The manager, not your nephew.

Or both.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

What's the big deal? I ran my first marathon with a cheap Timex analog watch. Besides there were no mile markers or digital clocks either. When you get to the finish line you're done.

You forgot to mention it was uphill, in the snow.

Dave

LRB

Or both.

lol

You can now sort shoes on the Running Warehouse site by type; neutral, stability, motion control etc.. Or maybe you could before, I just noticed it.

Anyway, I'm looking really hard at the Brooks Pure Cadence 4. I've only tried the Adrenaline in Brooks, which didn't last past 70 miles (the heel was too high, I think). But this one looks inviting, and is priced right. A newer version must be on its way.

DavePNW

Hey. Crazy day, no chance to post till now. Sitting at the airport.

This morning was 9 with 5 at LT pace, which supposedly is between HM & 15k pace. Actually he recommends closer to HMP for slower runners (e.g. me), closer to 15k for faster runners. HM PR is 7:32, which McMillans to 15k at 7:22.

Splits for the 5: 7:36, 7:30, 7:20, 7:21, 7:11. So, pretty happy with that.

Average for the 9 was 7:54, which is actually about GMP.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

lol

You can now sort shoes on the Running Warehouse site by type; neutral, stability, motion control etc.. Or maybe you could before, I just noticed it.

Anyway, I'm looking really hard at the Brooks Pure Cadence 4. I've only tried the Adrenaline in Brooks, which didn't last past 70 miles (the heel was too high, I think). But this one looks inviting, and is priced right. A newer version must be on its way.

Yes indeed.  And this time, the Pure line (which now only has two models, boo hoo) doesn't have a nav band.  I'm sure that makes you super sad.

chasing the impossible

LRB

This morning was 9 with 5 at LT pace, which supposedly is between HM & 15k pace. Actually he recommends closer to HMP for slower runners (e.g. me), closer to 15k for faster runners. HM PR is 7:32, which McMillans to 15k at 7:22.

Did you ever choose a spring marathon?

LRB

Yes indeed.  And this time, the Pure line (which now only has two models, boo hoo) doesn't have a nav band.  I'm sure that makes you super sad.

Wouldn't it be funny if I bought them and had trouble with that? No, it wouldn't.

DavePNW

Did you ever choose a spring marathon?

Tacoma City Marathon (aka Taco City), 5/1.

Although have not registered yet. But did book a hotel, even though it's only ~1:20 min away. Because it's a 7:00 start, and point-to-point so you need to catch a bus to the start, and the last one leaves at 6:00. I did the math and said ain't nobody got time for that. Got the "official" race hotel, bus picks up right in front of it.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Wouldn't it be funny if I bought them and had trouble with that? No, it wouldn't.

I never had trouble with it before!!

chasing the impossible

LRB

Tacoma City Marathon (aka Taco City), 5/1.

Although have not registered yet. But did book a hotel, even though it's only ~1:20 min away. Because it's a 7:00 start, and point-to-point so you need to catch a bus to the start, and the last one leaves at 6:00. I did the math and said ain't nobody got time for that. Got the "official" race hotel, bus picks up right in front of it.

I like tacos!

Don't wait too late to register.

onemile

I thought it was the opposite.   but I haven't looked at McMillan for awhile.

Nice workout though. 5 is a lot at that pace.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karma?

I want to go swimming. 

You can tell HR is on the ball!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I thought it was the opposite.   but I haven't looked at McMillan for awhile.

Nice workout though. 5 is a lot at that pace.

Pfitz recommends the same, if I remember.  HM for slower runners, 15K for faster runners (mostly because faster runners can achieve that pace without injury better than slow runners).

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You forgot to mention it was uphill, in the snow.

Actually the net downhill is enough to make the course record ineligible, though there were a few hills running through Newton. Being in April there was only a small chance of snow.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

What's the big deal? I ran my first marathon with a cheap Timex analog watch. Besides there were no mile markers or digital clocks either. When you get to the finish line you're done.

The big deal is habit. I would not miss the watch if it didn't exist, or if I didn't own one. Just a watch and mile markers would be fine (This is 2016: there are always distance markers in races). But I do own one and it's so cool!

It's a bit like having a speedometer  and a RPM gage in my dash board instead of driving by engine sound and general feel.