Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins shake that waddle! (Read 28 times)

GinnyinPA

Baconista - I'm glad you enjoyed your race, despite the congestion.

Mitch - so sad for your family.  That would have been terrifying to witness.  I've only known one pitbull, who was a sweetheart, but also very unstable due to early abuse.  The two year old may have been trying to protect the puppy, or perhaps she just got over-excited.

I'm sorry your wife thinks you're spending too much time focusing on running.  That's a hard one to deal with.  I've talked to my husband about it, and I'm fortunate because he really doesn't mind that I'm obsessed.  I think he's just glad I found something that helps with the depression.  I know I talk too much about it, despite the forums, but he doesn't mind - or at least, that's what he says now.

As to the PF, stretch your feet.  Get one of those balls that you can roll under your arches.  There are other stretches as well.  Do them every day, running or not.  I had a friend who spent two years dealing with it.  It's not something that ignores well.  Actually, the old shoes probably led to your knee problem as well.

Mel - good idea to cut the run short, before the problem gets worse.

Jimmy - I hope you got an evening run in.

Coralie - hurray for the 15 this week.

I ended up doing my 5 on the TM. The storms never materialized, but my stomach was a little wonky when I started.  Fortunately it settled down after a mile or so.

Dad on the run.

I just want to be clear that I said nothing degrading about the breed. In both houses that I have lived in we have had neighbors with Pits and I personally have nothing against them as a breed. I just think a lot of people will either buy "cheap" or get "free" pit bulls that have been highly inbred or simply bred by people that don't take the necessary time to research the dogs they are breeding.

Also Pit Bulls are not known for there love of other animals. Yes, they can be socialized but they don't come bred being friendly with other animals, they are prey driven like a lot of dogs are and anything smaller than them they see as prey, unless its people. Pits from what I have always heard love people.

Anyways, got my 6 miles in with Brody and Carter. I think they were done running before me but they hung in there and finished it out with me Smile We had to take a few walk breaks and really slow it down after mile 3 but once the sun went down they picked it back up. Thought for a moment I might have to cut the run short and take them home. Of course once I get home Carter who you thought was going to die out there decides he wants to jump around all chipper like and play. really??? I practically had to drag your sorry ass the last mile and you want to play? Crazy dog.

I am not going to talk about the topic of pitbulls because I know the breed, have rescued plenty, and I disagree with what is being said here.  And that's all I'm going to say.

But what happened to the min and in front of the kids was very sad.  I'm sorry they had to witness that. Sad

PS: If I knew how to spell, I wouldn't need to edit this thing so much!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Mitch- I am so sorry for your son's family and that they had to experience that.  I'm glad that all the people are OK.  I think Awood has the right of it in that they are animals, not furry people, after all, and that in their world that don't have a way to "talk through" their issues.

We had a pit  mix before.  DH got him from the shelter, and I think because of that he did come with some issues already before we even had him.  He had his moments of dog and human aggression at times, but was manageable and never did any actual damage to anybody.  He did catch and kill a deer once, though.  In the river, while swimming.  He caught up with it, broke its neck, turned around, and delivered the deer to DH.  It was definitely a reminder that their world is a whole lot different than ours.

Doesn't make the sadness or surprise of this any easier to deal with at the moment, though.  And I don't think I'd get a pittie again.  Not that there aren't some fabulous dogs out there.  But honestly I prefer the personality of labs.  And there are too many pits who are being bred for the wrong reasons.

I think it makes sense to cut down forum time if it's that or cut down on running itself.  Hopefully DW will feel better with time, especially when she knows that she still is the love of your life.  I'm sure she wants you to follow your interests and passion, too,  It can be tough to find that balance.  Take care.

Baconista- Congrats on your first 5K race!  Now you have a time to beat for your next one! Wink

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, thanks.  My comment was not towards yours.  Your experience was traumatic enough.  Your comment didn't upset me, just the misconceptions that others mentioned.

Knowing about dogs, the breed had nothing to do with reactions against new dogs or puppies or kids.  This happens often, not just with pitbulls and it takes a strong trainer to teach all dogs how to hang out with others.  I'm sorry your grandkids had to experience that.  Very sad.

Jimmy, I think the time frame you are referring to was the early to mid 80's. In the mid to late 70's, I grew up with a pit that one of my friends owned. I've always had good feelings about them based on that experience alone. I never had any other personal experiences to make any judgement about.

Cherie, the middle GS is taking it the hardest.

Damaris, I put the apology at the end for you. I know how you feel about them because of previous posts. I wrote what I did with caution so I didnt sound like i was bashing them, and i will not do it here either. It was just a shock to hear that it happened after 2 years of her being an angel. You mentioned that you know the breed, so why did it happen? Was it the puppy? Jealousy?  I really just would like to understand, that's all. I really am sorry to you, and I didn't mean to upset you. Please accept my apology, I mean no disrespect to you and your opinion. As a parent, and a grandparent, we hate to see our babies traumatized.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, and Mitch, hope you can still check in from time to time.  But family comes first, as others have said!

Damaris