Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: It's Going Down ⬇ (Read 28 times)

Cyberic

The only time I've ever run purposely slow was while training for my first marathon, when long slow days (LSD) were the big run of the week. I did a 22 at LS pace and it was awful times 100 and that was the end of that experiment!

I have tried slowing down my pace before, but I've never tried a 22 mile long run a LS pace. 

These days, anything "slow" is a byproduct of me jogging as I normally would, and the pace being whatever it is on a given day. The further I am from quality, the "faster" that is.

That is, IMO, as it should be. Easy is relative to your fatigue on that given day, and is not a fixed pace. I think Easy pace ranges were somewhat helpful when I started out to help me figure out what was meant by an Easy pace.

Now, as I said yesterday, I don't care about pace on my Easy runs. It's the run, as a whole, that I want to be easy, not the pace. So sometimes when I feel like it, I'll run the 3.5 miles back from work at close to MP, after warmed up, and it will still be an Easy run, even if it was not "Easy pace" at all. I get home, slightly winded from the extra pace, but 5 minutes later I'm 100% again, so to me, that is still an Easy run.

I want running to be as fun as possible, and forcing myself to run slower that I feel like is not fun. It's a chore.

LRB

I have tried slowing down my pace before, but I've never tried a 22 mile long run a LS pace. 

Smart man.

Back then, my easy pace was essentially my marathon pace, so in theory, LSD made sense. Doing it once though will make your ass want to get faster quick, so it was good for that. lol

It would be remiss of me not to add that I had no business running a marathon when I did. I didn't really know that (or chose to ignore it more specifically) so ignorance truly was bliss...until mile 22, when it felt like I was running on my knees!

DavePNW

I try not to do LRs too slow, but sometimes it just works out that way. Last year, I did a 22-miler that was a roll-out-of-bed run (had to, in order to catch a flight on time), and was just miserable and slow - it took me 3:25 to run it. Three weeks later I ran a marathon in 3:23. Ha.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Ugh!  Wondering if the crown was too small.  Mine is made in house so it's made with you there trying it and retrying it.  Hoping you get some relief now.

That's how the first one was done, in-house in like 30 min. The dentist said he's had some patients have a bad reaction to the in-house crowns and they're not sure if its the crown or cement. I have a few crowns and haven't had this issue before so who knows.

RunningOnSand

Smart man.

Back then, my easy pace was essentially my marathon pace, so in theory, LSD made sense. Doing it once though will make your ass want to get faster quick, so it was good for that. lol

It would be remiss of me not to add that I had no business running a marathon when I did. I didn't really know that (or chose to ignore it more specifically) so ignorance truly was bliss...until mile 22, when it felt like I was running on my knees!

Yes, yes, and yes. I could have written those same words. Big grin

I was wondering about the EZ pace yesterday, b/c I've read (and maybe heard?) some people saying they ran their EZ paces too fast and that basically fucked them for their workout in the following day(s). Thoughts? I think I'm just trying to make sense over why some workouts feel significantly easier than others, when I'm running at the same paces at the same distances. Whereas my ez pace days can vary in paces pretty significantly. I know intuitively that there's probably no real one reason, but if I can replicate doing everything just right, maybe I'll have a better shot at the marathon in a few weeks! (besides nutrition, hydration, rest.)

Speaking of marathons, I'm pretty sure this is peak week, and today was my hardest speed session to date.

i ran 12 w/ 5x1k, and 8x400s. It felt sufficiently challenging, and I'm glad I have a rest day tomorrow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's how the first one was done, in-house in like 30 min. The dentist said he's had some patients have a bad reaction to the in-house crowns and they're not sure if its the crown or cement. I have a few crowns and haven't had this issue before so who knows.

Weird.  I always thought it was the same ceramic material, but maybe it's the cement as you said.  Ugh.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was wondering about the EZ pace yesterday, b/c I've read (and maybe heard?) some people saying they ran their EZ paces too fast and that basically fucked them for their workout in the following day(s). Thoughts? I think I'm just trying to make sense over why some workouts feel significantly easier than others, when I'm running at the same paces at the same distances. Whereas my ez pace days can vary in paces pretty significantly. I know intuitively that there's probably no real one reason, but if I can replicate doing everything just right, maybe I'll have a better shot at the marathon in a few weeks! (besides nutrition, hydration, rest.)

Speaking of marathons, I'm pretty sure this is peak week, and today was my hardest speed session to date.

i ran 12 w/ 5x1k, and 8x400s. It felt sufficiently challenging, and I'm glad I have a rest day tomorrow.

Weather (especially humidity), food, lack of sleep, work, stress.  Any one of these and other reasons could be the difference.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

Hello.  I ran three easy-for-me miles before work.  +1 on WTF weather.  Warm, humid, and gross.  My legs are still feeling pretty heavy and I don't have high hopes for my HM Saturday, but then again I was sort of expecting this.

Re: slow running, I don't do a lot of it.  I run half the miles I used to, so when I run I try to make them count.  When I do run easy, like this morning, it's more of a mental thing.  I stopped running easy miles after my first Ironman when my running got slow.  I ran a lot of easy miles during that cycle.  Since I've stopped running easy miles, I have gotten faster.  I guess my training sort of resembles that "run less, run faster" bullshit.

<3

From the Internet.

When I was tri training I didn't run true easy pace much, like Boon mentioned it was a make-every-run-count approach. Back to road race training through the spring and I have more run days and thus more easy days on the schedule again. I do make an effort to keep easy pace really truly easy so I can go hard for workouts and races, but there are definitely other factors to either control or just account for as Docket said - on workout days I eat very specific foods and have a whole laundry list of things I avoid, and if I've slept poorly or am otherwise stressed out (whether I realize it or not) that has a major effect too.

Even on a day to day basis my easy pace can also vary a fair amount so I tend to keep an eye on heart rate and just aim to keep it low on easy days. I won't have the pace/distance screen up on my watch at all except to check that I'll make it home on time if I'm under time constraints.

From the Internet.

I didn't realize how gross it was out until I got back from my run and checked my weather app, lol. 76F/72F dew point by the time I went out. Just over 7 miles/64 minutes of sweat. Last few miles my HR kept jumping up higher than I like to see even though the effort felt easy enough and I slowed down a bit but it didn't really help at all -  thought it was because I was SUPER HUNGRY but I guess the weather would have played into the cardiac drift too.

LRB

Whatever the case that's a lot of damn numbing shots!

sdWhiskers

Whatever the case that's a lot of damn numbing shots!

No kidding! It took 3 last night to stop the pain I was having...I still can't open my mouth all the way. Annnnd I get to do it all again next week.

GinnyinPA

Pouring rain outside, so I did 6 on the TM with 3 tempo. It was almost the same temperature as outside, but I had a fan on, so it felt much better.

LRB

Pouring rain outside, so I did 6 on the TM with 3 tempo. It was almost the same temperature as outside, but I had a fan on, so it felt much better.

You're getting what we got, which means you're gonna get what we have. 👍

LRB

No kidding! It took 3 last night to stop the pain I was having...I still can't open my mouth all the way. Annnnd I get to do it all again next week.

Like the one shot I got; "You're gonna feel this near your ear" SAY WHAT??