Beginners and Beyond

Runner hit by flying deer (Read 101 times)

I know I'm not supposed to laugh at this but I kind of couldn't help it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/car-hits-deer-airborne-deer-hits-loudoun-runner/2013/12/07/57dcde58-5f73-11e3-95c2-13623eb2b0e1_story.html?hpid=z3

Made the local news also

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24160491/jogger-hit-by-flying-deer#axzz2mngVMWpK

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Deer, deer, me. That's staggering news.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Unbelievable.  Saving it for some of my favorite runners at work.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Yugo18

Wow.  That's really unfortunate and funny.Shocked

Nata2011

Sometimes you may want to listen to your body and skip the run....Smile Glad she is ok

From the Internet.

Based on the headline I was worried it was Scotty - he has a history of problems with deer!

tracilynn

Lauren LOL

~~~~~~~

Traci

LRB

The thread title is pretty accurate, unfortunately for the deer.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Based on the headline I was worried it was Scotty - he has a history of problems with deer!

I never got hit by a flying one though!  Although I did once get whacked by Santa's sleigh....but that's another story.

Those deer are no joke, though, when they hit you.  At our local Turkey Trot a couple years ago, we were on some trails and a friend of mine and fellow running club member got whacked by a buck that came out of the brush and running across the trail.   He got completely run over, and both he and the deer went down and my friend hit his head on the paved trail, went out like a light told me later he didn't remember anything until he woke up in his hospital bed.  Concussion, 4 stitches in his head where one of the deer's hooves caught him, and two cracked ribs.  Ouch.  But he kept his sense of humor about it all, cuz that's the type of guy he is, and he fully recovered and is healthy again and back to running and racing.   He is now known in our club as "The Deer Hunter."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And this being the season it is, I thought of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer".

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

This is one of my biggest fears as a runner, to be running along and get hit by a deer that's been sent airborne by a car.  Sad

<3

slowrunningjulie

This is one of my biggest fears as a runner, to be running along and get hit by a deer that's been sent airborne by a car.  Sad

LOL! Not even pepper spray is gonna help you when that happens.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

lol.  Baboon, you sleigh me...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kettledrum

WOW!