Beginners and Beyond

My YMCA 10k RR (Read 85 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My goal at the beginning of this month... probably a month or 2 ago actually, was 58 minutes while my almost impossible goal was 55:59 or under and I didn't except that but I hoped it. By this morning I just hoped I could finish, after Wednesday night's horrible run I was feeling pretty nervous and worried.

My alarm went off at 4 this morning to get up and eat a little something, so I ate half of a cinnamon raisin english muffin with a tbs of peanut butter and a tbs of honey, drank 16 oz of water and went back to bed. Second alarm clock went off at 5:00 a.m so I got up and took 10 minutes to decide on which shorts to wear, I didn't want my really loose ones but my favorite ones would have been showing my butt cheeks so bad I would not be posting pics of them, I finally decided on my regular running shorts that are a bit tight but don't come up past my cheeks which is good. I pinned the bib on my shorts, though due to retaining water I wasn't planning on taking my shirt off. All of this while drinking a cup of coffee, then I went for a 1.5 mile easy run to loosen myself up and thought Oh My Gosh the humidity! I was really feeling down at that point, and was thinking of excuses not to do the race.

By 6 a.m I get little bit up and feed him and then get big bit up so we can go, on the expressway/hwy thing I'll be honest that I lost count on how many times I tried to talk myself into turning around and going back to bed. Since starting my running "career", I've backed out of probably 5 races on intuition and never really regretted those decisions.... but this time I knew that if I listened to my fears and doubts I would regret it. I just told myself to finish the race, even if it would be a slow one, I just wanted to finish.

We get there with time for me to go to the restroom, DH talked me into taking my shirt off so I did, then I stepped into the crowd of fellow crazies. The temp was 73, humidity at 89 and dew point around 70-73, my stomach was in knots, my fears and doubts were taunting me but I ignored them. Soon we were off, I didn't push past anyone really, I wasn't about to waste any energy doing that so when I saw a window I took it gradually. I kept my mind on the people around me, if I recognized anyone or who would make for a great photo subject. 

First mile my watch said 9:18, pretty good and I felt okay except for hints of mutiny from my stomach. I just reminded myself to go by feel, try to keep a challenging pace but not to the point of puking or worse.

Mile 2 - 8:50

Mile 3 - 8:52

I tried to keep it around 8:50 and below 9 min/mile, I was doing much better than I expected for this race but I was only half way done and anything could happen still.

Mile 4 - 8:41

Mile 5 - 8:49

At this point I had found a few people to tag along with, and I kept reminding myself I was almost done. This stretch is probably always the hardest for me at this particular race, the finish is just parallel to me and a block over, we pass it to keep going down the road before we do the little loop/turn onto that street and head to the finish. I let myself pick up the pace just a bit, with a stomach still threatening mutiny and to make an ugly scene.... I really wanted to give it a better kick but... eh.

Mile 6 - 8:32  and I thought "thank God!", I gave what little kick I had and that little last bit (.2) saw 7:24 min/mile though I highly doubt I could have kept that up at this point.

Coming across the finish mats and stopping my watch, it read 54:39 with an average pace of 8:47 min/mile................. I beat my crazy goal by 1 minute and 20 seconds at a race I figured would end with misery. I reminded myself how glad I was that I didn't listen to my fears and doubts and ran back home to hide, if I had I wouldn't have set my new PR for a 10k today. Not only did I set a PR, but I placed 3rd in my division F 25-29 so this year I've placed 1st in a 5k, 2nd in a 4 miler and 3rd in a 10k... and I have another freaking trophy!!!!!! Which of course I didn't stay because I figured I wouldn't place in anything that close to 1st, so now I've got to get my trophy.

My little guy is so cute!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on the new PR.  I'm glad you hung in there and went to the race.  If you're not injured or worried about risking injury, there's really no reason to back out of a race.  I feel like most of the time I feel badly about a race going in, I end up really surprising myself.  Clearly, you did the same.  Keep up the good work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Smile thanks, yes I am so glad I didn't wimp out.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

When your race morning preparations don't go right,  when you are filled with many doubts, and when your clothes are never the right choice, and you freakin' PR big time in a 10K race, I'd say your training prior to the race was kick butt!  Congratulations and don't forget to post a photo of the trophy when you receive it.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My 3rd place trophy! Big grin

PRs

Hip Redux

Pretty awesome, FS!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job on the new PR and the AG award.  And you look smoking in your bra and shorts!

Damaris

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Great job!!  Way to blow past your goal!!!

And, yes, looking good in the bra & shorts.  Didn't know if there was gonna be a bra on under that shirt.  Oh well, maybe next time.  Wink Big grin

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, yes there will ALWAYS be a bra under my shirts.... either unless it's an clothing optional race.. or I actually forget to put one on Big grin But thanks!

PRs

Great job on the PR, Free, and cool trophy.

I know what you mean about sometimes just not "feeling" like racing, but SIAR is right, those often end up being some of the best efforts.  Clearly your training is going well, congrats.

Trail Monster

Congrats! Sounds like you need to reconsider your self-image! You're pretty speedy and look perfectly fine with your shirt off and your shorty shorts! Now stop backing out of races and let's see what you can really do!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol thanks you two, the last race I backed out of was this past March when I had no choice because my little man was sick and needed me home with him. He is probably the only reason I would back out, if he needed me at home with him Smile

PRs

Love the Half

I think it's great that you let your body dictate the pace rather than a predetermined notion of what you could do.  That can lead to surprising PR's and can keep you from a disastrous result even if you happen to have a bad day.  Nice bling.  Congrats.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks LTH Smile and very true.

I think it's great that you let your body dictate the pace rather than a predetermined notion of what you could do.  That can lead to surprising PR's and can keep you from a disastrous result even if you happen to have a bad day.  Nice bling.  Congrats.

PRs

RabbitChaser

Great job on running a strong race and getting a new PR! Congrats on your AG placement and trophy!