Beginners and Beyond

Finally FriDAILIES (Read 31 times)

workinprogress11

I think what you guys are getting now is "second winter".

I remember vividly in 2013 going from Mud Season to hot AF in March. There was no spring. It hit the 90s in March and didn’t let up until October or so.

The Ravenna used to be my favorite, until they broke them with the 7. I put >4000 miles on those things, then they changed something that gave me a pain at the top of my foot, and I had to stop wearing them. I actually ended up replacing them with the Ghost, even though Ravenna is a support shoe and Ghost is neutral. And now the Ghost is my new favorite.

I am pretty agnostic on WA vs OR since I am not a native, but certainly appreciate the distinction and how strongly people feel about it, particularly having married into an OR family. But still, vs. virtually the entire rest of the country, there are a lot more similarities than differences.

Very fair point.

And now I'm confused, I'm not sure if I thought the Ravennas were similar to the Ghosts, or if it was the Revels I thought were close.  I can't remember now!  It may not matter though, the Revels are not on sale, and I'm all about sales.  I started moving toward neutral shoes a couple years ago, and now the "support" designation doesn't seem necessary.  I won't get any unless they have free returns, the pain on top of the foot thing would be a nonstarter.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

In '17 it was amazing. In '18 it was trending towards amazing then November clucked our asses right in the head.  lol

Summer has been hell in my area since 2012, I remember 2012 was the turning point for weather in my area. Before 2012, Summer would start to die around the end of September and Fall would come rolling in until late November. But in '12, Summer kept it's grip on us until December. The weeks would be okay weather in the 60's then the weekends would climb into the 80's and humid.

I remember this because my greatest girl Molly passed away in 2012 with lung cancer, the vet said had Summer disappeared like normal, she would have lived through that Winter 

I miss that beautiful girl.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

And now I'm confused, I'm not sure if I thought the Ravennas were similar to the Ghosts, or if it was the Revels I thought were close.  I can't remember now!  It may not matter though, the Revels are not on sale, and I'm all about sales.  I started moving toward neutral shoes a couple years ago, and now the "support" designation doesn't seem necessary.  I won't get any unless they have free returns, the pain on top of the foot thing would be a nonstarter.

yes, I think that's it.  I was asking about the Revels.

I wore the Ravennas briefly between the Adrenalines and the Ghosts but somehow the Ravennas rubbed my achilles the wrong way.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will just STFU about weather, I have no dog in this fight.  I have a Chihuahua wearing a velour sweater and a rhinestone collar who doesn't know shit about the cold.  I leave it to the Rottweilers of winter.

Runs4Sanity, tell me about the Ravennas... I remember Onemile was thinking (long ago) that they looked similar to the Ghosts, and I checked them out and agreed, but never pulled the trigger on a pair.  Asics ruined one of my rotation shoes with a bad update, so I'm seeking a replacement.  What do you think of the Ravennas?

Dave, I get you on the wife.  My mom now lives in Eugene, so I can't be too mean about it.  But when people assume I'm "from" OR I get quite irate.  I am not.  I was not born there, and I did not ever live there.  I had been moved out of the house for a number of years and was fully adulting when my mom moved to Eugene.  The only thing OR has given me is a speeding ticket, which was not appreciated.  Nice trees and all, but I love my Puget Sound.

RD again.  I'm starting to get cranky from lack of running.  But I think rest is the right call.  The calves are feeling much better, they're now just "regular" sore.  I plan to seek out that massage next week.

Took me a sec to remember that name is under my avatar lol. I've been using the Ravennas since 2010, I remember going to my LRS and that's what he put me in. Through the years I tried to deviate from them (they used to be truly boring colors) but had issues constantly until I went back. But I will say I am liking these Ricochet's.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

yes, I think that's it.  I was asking about the Revels.

I wore the Ravennas briefly between the Adrenalines and the Ghosts but somehow the Ravennas rubbed my achilles the wrong way.

Oh no, no, no.  I'm very picky about shoes that touch my Achilles, running or street shoes.  Between you and Dave, I'm thinking nope.  I do like the Launchs, I have a new pair of 5s in the box to welcome me back from my week off.  Just in case I need motivation... new shoes to the rescue!  But legit, like 3 pair that I've been using all hit the mileage wall at once.  I have 3 that have good miles left on them.  OK, maybe 4.  I swear I don't have a problem!  We need this many shoes, amIright?

FreeSoul, argh.  I should know the difference, for some reason the sanity thing really stuck with me.  Because me too on that.  Also, Molly was one beautiful dog.  That face!

onemile

Oh no, no, no.  I'm very picky about shoes that touch my Achilles, running or street shoes.  Between you and Dave, I'm thinking nope.  I do like the Launchs, I have a new pair of 5s in the box to welcome me back from my week off.  Just in case I need motivation... new shoes to the rescue!  But legit, like 3 pair that I've been using all hit the mileage wall at once.  I have 3 that have good miles left on them.  OK, maybe 4.  I swear I don't have a problem!  We need this many shoes, amIright?

FreeSoul, argh.  I should know the difference, for some reason the sanity thing really stuck with me.  Because me too on that.  Also, Molly was one beautiful dog.  That face!

I kinda want to buy a pair of the Ghost 11 in the camo pattern just because I like camo.

workinprogress11

3 miles.

sdWhiskers

Also no comment about winter. Although, it seems over the next week we'll be experiencing the "pineapple express"? My understanding is there will be rain from here to Hawaii so next week will be fun.

Am I a bad runner for having almost zero interest in shoes? Lol. I started running in Ghosts and never looked back. I bought a few pairs of the Launch for faster stuff but have found they don't last long at all. I just rotate different colors and worn-ness of the Ghosts.

RD today. I have a 10k on Sunday where apparently, I'm going for PR, says coach. She's running it too so I can't be lazy.

RunningOnSand

I tried to use the Brooks Levitate instead of the Ghosts, and I thought I preferred them, but after about 50 miles I made my apologies, and I’ll be purchasing the Ghosts again. I had decided to wait until I had a few more miles on them. But because of you all, i am now on RW looking at them. But tbh I’m the worst at actually pulling the trigger and purchasing. I usually load up my cart, freak out about the total, and open a new tab, and periodically check back on my cart. If it’s a storefront that auto deletes my items in my cart I get crotchety and reload it, but still don’t purchase any items. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤔

RunningOnSand

Damn. You really can’t.

Also no comment about winter. Although, it seems over the next week we'll be experiencing the "pineapple express"? My understanding is there will be rain from here to Hawaii so next week will be fun.

Am I a bad runner for having almost zero interest in shoes? Lol. I started running in Ghosts and never looked back. I bought a few pairs of the Launch for faster stuff but have found they don't last long at all. I just rotate different colors and worn-ness of the Ghosts.

RD today. I have a 10k on Sunday where apparently, I'm going for PR, says coach. She's running it too so I can't be lazy.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

🙂 thank you, yes she was one beautiful soul.

Never noticed the ravenna rubbing my Achilles.... 🤷‍♀️ but I do have to wear ankle length or higher socks for the ricochet shoes as they do tend to rub the back of my ankle.

PRs

DavePNW

No. I stick with what works, my equipment log is very boring. It was pretty stressful when I had to replace the Ravenna in the rotation.

Dave

Runshortii

I wear the hoka Clifton for longer stuff and rotate the Boston’s and Launch for shorter runs.

i ran 5. It wouldn’t have been bad if the wind weren’t so nasty

Cyberic

sdWhiskers, nope, you can not be a good runner unless you start loving running shoes. Every runner who loves running shoes knows that.