Beginners and Beyond

ThurdDailies (Read 21 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks. I agree that I am more of a Pfitz person. Just wondering if trying something totally not me might help.

Damaris

DavePNW

Thanks. I agree that I am more of a Pfitz person. Just wondering if trying something totally not me might help.

I certainly support shaking things up once in a while.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll have to dig out my Pfitz book.  From what little I remember, it might be possible to design something of a hybrid schedule that would work and give you a little something different.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My coach is retiring so I'm between two plans for my next HM. Hanson and Pfitz. Hanson has a lot of 400, 600, 800, 1000, etc. workouts while Pfitz starts quickly with a combination of 3K-5K 2mins and further workouts and tempo and HMP workouts, alternating between them. I have used Pfitz before but for marathons. What are your thoughts on either if you've done any?

Hansons HM plan is very similar to their marathon plan.  Lower weekly mileage, mostly taken from the easy runs.  The long runs top out at 14 instead of 16.  Pacing for the long runs, tempo runs, and strength runs is faster (based on your HM target) while pacing on the speed work is the same (a bit slower than your 5k pace).  The plan works for me because it's consistent and not overly complex, as well as allowing for flexibility.  Feel free to reach out if you'd like to know more.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hansons HM plan is very similar to their marathon plan.  Lower weekly mileage, mostly taken from the easy runs.  The long runs top out at 14 instead of 16.  Pacing for the long runs, tempo runs, and strength runs is faster (based on your HM target) while pacing on the speed work is the same (a bit slower than your 5k pace).  The plan works for me because it's consistent and not overly complex, as well as allowing for flexibility.  Feel free to reach out if you'd like to know more.

Thanks! My issue with the LRs is that I'll be doing them with hubby so the pace won't be the Hanson pace. But maybe I can do something of it an incorporate. Or do Pfitz for this one and check Hanson for the next.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm using Daniel's 2Q as a rough guide right now. It's a marathon plan, but I am modifying the workouts when needed for a HM as well as the slow runner mod of 1 mile = 5 minutes.

My thing with Hanson is that the cumulative fatigue aspect is not something I deal well with.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm using Daniel's 2Q as a rough guide right now. It's a marathon plan, but I am modifying the workouts when needed for a HM as well as the slow runner mod of 1 mile = 5 minutes.

My thing with Hanson is that the cumulative fatigue aspect is not something I deal well with.

I forgot Daniels'! I have the book too. I was considering using the Pfitz low mileage marathon plan and tailor it for the HM too.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yes, that's a big part of their philosophy, so if you're prone to missing workouts due to life getting in the way, it's not the best plan for you.  Or if, like HCK, you recognize that this philosophy doesn't work for you, then don't use it.  I'm a firm believer that there is no "one" plan that works for everyone because we're all different.  Knowing yourself and your tendencies is key when picking a plan (or modifying one or creating your own).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

This is something I’ve never understood about this description for Hansons plans specifically. Don’t all training plans involve this? 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is something I’ve never understood about this description for Hansons plans specifically. Don’t all training plans involve this? 

I think it's because of the paces being faster than your standard plan like Pfitz. You run your LRs faster than easy or LR pace.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I do think I would benefit from the tempo runs more than the fast intervals that Hanson has, though. So leaning towards Pfitz for this one. I've lost endurance between menopause and my injuries so I think the easy runs and the tempos might make my body react better.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

For me, there's a pretty big difference between 5 and 6 days of running.  Consistently doing 6 days does not work for me and totally messes up all sorts of female related stuff.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Only in a limited way. It shouldn't be a chronic condition, because many of the quality workouts really need you to be well rested to get the best effect. Don't most plans also stress the importance of rest and recovery?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Only in a limited way. It shouldn't be a chronic condition, because many of the quality workouts really need you to be well rested to get the best effect. Don't most plans also stress the importance of rest and recovery?

Yes but I just don’t see where the Hansons plan is any different in those aspects than any other.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I tend to think most plans/books are geared to much faster and younger runners than me. After actually reading Daniel's and other books, the take on rest is very different from what the "experts" on RWOL and less so here proclaim. I can't remember which book, but it says for someone doubling and doing 12+ miles per day, a single, very easy paced 5 mile jog could be a rest day. I've seen the 5 miles part quoted a lot over the years and no one ever seems to mention the caveats in the book. The "beginners " forum on RW was particularly bad for this sort of stuff.

As a slower runner, the plans that are mileage based,  especially on a day to day basis, don't take time on your feet into account.  I've figured out what is truly easy for me and it's far less than what most plans say.