Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins are indecisive (Read 31 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm trying to decide whether to run 13 now, or go watch my buddy's tri and then run.  Decisions, decisions.  I'm still waiting for my coffee to do it's thing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Peeps.  Watch your buddy aw.  Looks like a RD so we can have a LR tomorrow.  Storms on way for our outdoor concert tonight. Glad we got free tickets.

Good luck Saturday Racers (and Blackhawks)

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!!

This week has been crazy, my oldest graduated high school yesterday, family was in town, barely had time to run, much less get on the internet.  Hope everyone has been doing good.  Things should start settling back down to our usual level of crazy now. Smile

12 miles on tap for today at the lake. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Busy, busy, as usual. Last night we got DS home from university and all is well with that. This morning DW and I are off for 11 miles together. After that, we are going to a memorial run for older DD's coach. After running 11 we will probably not do the run with the kids and just wait with those who wait. While we are doing that, younger DD is at swim practice from 8-11. She normally does not train on Saturdays but she recently qualified for an invitational meet and was asked by the coach to train with his high school group to get her ready for that meet. I think he has had his eye on her because she has been killing it in her breaststroke and butterfly. Then we are off to Costco because my mom thought it would be nice of us to invite them over for lunch tomorrow. Finally, I am playing drums tonight from 9-12. Then, I sleep.

She Can: from yesterday... I started running a year and a half ago. While older DD was training, I would always hang about and chat with some other parents. One day two dads asked me to join up with them on a run, so I did. I was in ok shape from playing soccer but running was a different fitness. I could barely "run" two miles at that time and now I want to run a marathon. Go figure...

Have a good day, Pens.

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.  Counting on these threads to tell me what day of the week it is.  Love my 80-day weekends.

8 with the group today.  Hoping for 9:15 pace, which is where I want my HM to be in 5 weeks.

Enjoy your day, everyone

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Dad on the run.

Watch you buddy AWood. You can run later.

Heading out for 7.5 then I have to mow the lawn and get ready for  friends coming over tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!

Got my WW meeting, then hoping for a 3 miler before starting on the cleaning and such for the weekend.

Awood- Hope that you got a chance to watch the tri and get your run in!

Jerry- Enjoy the RD!

D2- Congrats to your son!  Hope you enjoy the miles at the lake!

Jack- Sounds like a super busy weekend!  Hope the 11 miler was a perfect start to it!  Glad you have DS home with you now too.

Jeff- Hope the group run is great!

Jimmy- You are really getting the miles in these days!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I went and watch the tri.  It was a lot of fun, and it was his first tri of the year.  It was also his first open water swim of the year, and the longest tri he's done so far.  In the past he's done the mini-sprint distances.  He did really well on the run, he was a bit behind on the bike because he has a hybrid bike, but the swim is what really got him.  Luckily, he has more tri's coming up, and he's going to start open water swimming more often.

Now, I need to get ready to run.  YEAH RUN!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

GinnyinPA

Awood - enjoy your miles.

Jerry - I hope you don't get wet tonight.  Who is playing?

Dave - enjoy your run by the lake.

Jack - Hope you enjoyed your 11 miles.  It's amazing how far you have come in a year and a half.  You obviously have a lot of innate talent, but I know you've worked hard to develop it.

Jeff - hope the group run went well.

Jimmy - busy day.  Have fun.

Zelanie - hope the knee behaves today.

RD for me.  Well, walk the dog, drive 3 hours south, visit REI, walk the dog again, meet the family for dinner, and find a campground, then walk the dog again, so not entirely restful.  We'll spend the next couple of days in the Shenandoahs, so some easy hikes and hilly runs, hopefully.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

1:57:23 unofficial. 3 min negative split, 10th mile was the fastest. No ITB pain. Rocked it Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

If I were a StarWars character and I was able to meet Yoda his words would be something like this "hmmmm, much tiredness I sense in this boy"

7.5 done with positive splits... lol. Was hot and my legs were just feeling tired Sad

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 1:24:49.2 7.51 11:18
                          1 10:22.7 1.00 10:23
                          2 10:32.8 1.00 10:33
                          3 10:38.7 1.00 10:39
                          4 11:00.1 1.00 11:00
                          5 11:36.0 1.00 11:36
                          6 11:44.6 1.00 11:45
                          7 12:16.7 1.00 12:17
                          8 6:37.7 0.51 13:07

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Jimmy, don't fret the negative splits, this heat can suck the life right out of ya. You are doing good at getting the miles built up.

Kristin, great run! And I really glad there was no ITB pain.

Ginny, we use to camp when we were younger and I miss it.

Awood, racking up the miles. I think you are doing great.

Mel, hang in there on that knee, I know it's frustrating.

I hope to run later as it starts getting dark. There was a group running this morning but I had to work for a bit to finish a project. I had my last interview on Wednesday for the promotion I mentioned a while back, but still no word yet. They sure know how to drag their feet on things.

My dog had another setback on Thursday night, throwing up and running fever again. I'm still giving her the antibiotic, she seems to be eating a little and starting to feel better. I guess it just takes time.

I should have around 15-17 miles this week with 4 runs, compared to 11 miles last week in 3 runs. I think my knee is almost 100%, this morning at work I was able to run up some stairs with no issues. My L foot is almost healed too, but still occasionally gives me some discomfort. I am so ready to put all this behind me so I can get back to some base building before I start my plan.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

YES! My 11 miles turned into 12 miles at an 8:32 pace with a lot of hills. It was painful, but the funny thing is, when I finished I was breathing easy and I felt very refreshed. Very cool!

Ginny: Talent? LOL!!

Awood: I think I see a triathlon in your future. Smile

Zel: Do you do windows?

kristin: The best part of your post is NO ITB PAIN!!

JBJ: Dude, as you know, it is not easy running in the heat. Don't even worry about it. You got your miles in, and that's what counts.

hog: Good news on the knee.

Sloooow.

Afternoon, all!

Awood- The time you made your first post makes my head hurt, lol. How did your run go?

Jerry- Enjoy your rest day Smile

Dave- Congrats to DD!  Hope your 12 miles goes wonderfully.

Jack- Do you ever have easy weekends? I love it when people invite themselves to dinner, lol.

Jeff- Hope your miles go well! That's a very nice goal pace.

Zelanie- Fingers crossed your knee behaves for your 3.

Ginny- Have a great "rest" day, lol.

Kristin- Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to read a RR!

Jimmy- You did great just getting out into the swamp and running over SEVEN miles. That is awesome. The heat is horrible and draining.

Mitch- Sorry to hear about the setbacks with your puppy Sad I'm glad to hear that your knee and foot are doing better though. You will be back to your old mileage in no time.

AFM- I did a quite easy 3.5 miles on the treadmill. It went well, I actually felt pretty good from the beginning rather than having to wait until nearly the end, lol. I have some piriformis (?) discomfort again, which I resolved last time by doing those good bottom stretches. I just need to stay consistent.

18.1 miles for the week!!!!!