Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILY Penguins (Read 35 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

HI DR, welcome back!  Will you write a RR for last weekend?

You will appreciate this -- during my run Sunday the sun came out unexpectedly and the temp went up at least 10 degrees.  I was miserable in my short-sleeve tech shirt, so I took it off.  For the first time ever, I ran in just my sports bra.  You were right -- it's wonderful on a hot day!

Full disclosure:  I was running a route where I knew not many people would see me.  I encountered fewer than a dozen people while I was shirtless.  I don't know if I have the fortitude to bare my belly with more people around...I may have to build up to that.  Any drop five pounds and do more crunches.

We all appreciate this Margo  !!!

Philliefan33

We all appreciate this Margo  !!!

Probably not.  Remember, this is a 48-year old belly that temporarily housed two babies.  Shy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - The back is doing better today.  P3 worked on it a bit yesterday, and I've put the massaging seat cover back in my car for now.  It seems to help.

N-Bug - If only we could run for a living.  Then, we'd be set.

Kristin - Changes in schedule can be challenging.  I think you'll figure out what works best for you over time.

Mitch - Boo on the ever changing hours, but it's good to hear that the puppy is doing better.  We've taken your advice about running with our dog.  He goes on shorter runs still.  It seems to be plenty for him.

Phillie - It's always time for coffee, and in my opinion running shirtless is always acceptable.  It's like going to the beach or swimming.

Damaris - Get well soon.  I'm pretty sure your registered to a couple dozen races.  We can't have you sick.

HsM - Yeah, we're getting into that time of year.  My LRS was selling a treadmill that they used to use in the store for a really good price.  I thought about buying it.  Decided I'd still rather go outside.

Zel - I understand your frustration.  I'd tell you to be patient, but you know that, and if you're like me you don't want to hear it from somebody else.  So, just know that I'm rootin' for you to be healthy again soon.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

AFM - I got 7.5 in last night, and 4 in this morning.  I plan on running another 4 tonight.  The back is slowly loosening up.  My morning runs are always a bit faster because of the lower temperatures.  It's kind of fun since I don't have any speed work planned for another couple of works.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

Morning penguins!

Jerry-- hi!  Chilly would be wonderful!

Vance-- Hi ya, like your new profile picture!

Kristin-- having to get up an hour earlier without going to sleep any earlier would not be easy for me either.  Your body does need/crave a certain amount of sleep. At least you're still getting regular runs in.

Mitch-- glad your Bella is doing better!  My kids tell me that only old people like me eat oatmeal.  Good job on your run.

Docket-- Welcome back!   Hope you had a wonderful trip and race.  Can't wait to see the pics and read your RR.

Phillie-- you're braver then me!  I've still not run in just my sports bra.  I dunno why, other then I'm just a coward I guess.  I do sometimes pull my shirt up just to get air to my stomach, I don't know how that would be any different.   Next time I get really hot and feel the urge, I'll just have to tell myself that if Margo can do it, so can I!

Traci- from yesterday--I've been running 5 years.  My miles will go up and they'll go down.  There's times I just have to totally take time off from running completely.  BTW, you're always such a sweetheart to everyone and I'm glad you're doing better.

Hopesmom-- 95% humidity at 6:00!  No wonder you didn't feel like running, especially with DH up all night.   Well, tomorrow is another day.

Zelanie-- I thought you were off of work for the summer now?   I'm sorry your knee isn't healing faster, and really there is no way you can make it do so either.  At least you haven't given up.

Awood-- glad your back is doing better. I can't believe you even tried running with it hurting like that, but I guess it was a good thing you tried.  I guess the running is what it needed.

Ginny-- your weekend trip sounded so lovely!  Good for you for getting those miles in at Gettysburg.  Do you enjoy getting the vacation runs in?

Today, I got out by 6:15 and ran just over 10 miles again.  Was quite a bit more pleasant then yesterday.  Its amazing how much nicer it feels an hour earlier.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Philliefan33

Mel -- sorry that your knee is not cooperating.  Is there any crosstraing that would be ok for you to do to help keep your fitness up and burn off some energy?  I enjoy substituing a bike ride for a run once in a while -- is biking an option or would that be bad for your knee?  And you should definitely give at least a tank top a try.  It's a stepping stone to shirtless. Evil

Cherie -- yes, next time you get too hot and feel the urge -- go for the shirtless.  Damaris was the little devil sitting on my shoulder that told me to do it, I will pay it forward and be the little devil on your shoulder.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry and N-Bug: enjoy your runs tonight

kristin: give it time, you will get used to it.

hog: great news about the pup! Smile

Docket: Sad

PF: Wow... Topless!!! You are much braver than me! By the looks of your picture, you don't have a belly.

HsM: I cannot even imagine 95% humidity...

Zel: It must be frustrating, but just keep it at three until you can do more.

Awood: It sounds like your back will be fine. Once a tweaked my back just by getting out of the car. I guess I twisted in a weird way and was out of commission for a few days.

She Can: Man, you are another one who is doing a lot of miles. You are going to kill it in Tucson. Do you have a goal yet?

As for me, I went with older DD to her practice and ran with another dad. We did 7.25 at a 7:51 average pace. I was pushing it so I am going to call that my tempo run.

Have a good day.

SheCan

Mel -- sorry that your knee is not cooperating.  Is there any crosstraing that would be ok for you to do to help keep your fitness up and burn off some energy?  I enjoy substituing a bike ride for a run once in a while -- is biking an option or would that be bad for your knee?  And you should definitely give at least a tank top a try.  It's a stepping stone to shirtless. Evil

Cherie -- yes, next time you get too hot and feel the urge -- go for the shirtless.  Damaris was the little devil sitting on my shoulder that told me to do it, I will pay it forward and be the little devil on your shoulder.

LOL Margo!   I may have to do it like you, on a path where there aren't many people to see.  In my heart of hearts, I truly believe everyone should be comfortable in their own skins, and I certainly wouldn't judge anybody else for wearing what is comfortable.  I just need to give myself that same freedom.

Jack-- great job on the tempo run!   Do you have any races coming up?  About the marathon, naw, I haven't any goals for it yet.  I can't think about it this early or I'll get burned out.  Plus I may run quite a few miles, but I'm hardly pushing speed at all..  I'm just a slow old butt trying to make myself just get out there every day.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie, I've discovered that clamshells and side leg lifts help my knees out a good bit.  Which is why, three times per week, you can find me lying on the floor of my office around 4:30 in the afternoon flailing my legs around ...  Blush

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Mitch - Glad your puppy is doing better

D - Hope you feel better soon

Hope - Glad you finally got your bracelet. I was about ready to go postal at the post office... hahaha

Phillie - running without a shirt on is great, I know you are required to wear the sports bra of course but my last several runs have been shirtless and it feels wonderful.

Awood - your killing those miles with the doubles.

She Can - Way to go on the 10 miler.

AFM - I was suppose to run 6 miles lastnight but that didn't happen. Once we left the hospital we thought we would take advantage of the FIL being down and watching EK for us so we snuck off to the movies and watched Superman. After we got home we were just really tired so we just let the dogs play and we crawled up in bed and watched a couple episodes of Game of Thrones and did nothing the rest of the night.

Got up at 4am this morning and met my cousin at the gym. Going to start doing some weight training with him and try to get a little cut up. Plan for 6 tonight and may run a double tomorrow to make up some of the miles I missed yesterday.

Mom's surgery went great, they had to take out about a foot of her intestines but the Dr. said everything went back together very well and she should be able to go home in the next couple of days. He said they have to wait for her intestines to wake back up before they can release her.

Have a race this weekend! Going to shoot for a PR but we will see how that goes with this crazy hot weather we are having.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: DW, older DD, and I are running in the Missoula HM on July 14. We were going to be in Montana at that time anyway, so we signed up. DW and I are training for it but DD is not. She has started her summer running camp and her coach does not want her "racing" it.

Sloooow.

Quick check-in. Only 3.1 miles today, I started having sharpish pain in the back of my knee/leg. I'm just starting to get improvements on the stupid shin splints, now this. Hoping it is a tweaked hamstring and icing will help.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - did you run in the fog?

Vance - hope you get a good run in this afternoon.

Kristin - can you switch to running after work or at noon?

Mitch - good news about Bella.  Hope you enjoyed your day off.

Damaris - sorry about the stomach virus.  Hope it's a short bug.

Margo - good job running in your sports bra.  Everything essential was covered, so why not?  I haven't done it yet, but it may happen yet.

HopesMom - enjoy your practice tonight.  Hopefully, you'll get day 2 done tomorrow.

Zelanie - I'm sorry your knee is still hurting so much.  I understand the frustration.

Awood - I'm glad your back is feeling better.  Take it easy though.

Cherie - are you training for anything in the near future, or just keeping your mileage up until your next cycle?  And yes, I love running while traveling, though it can be a challenge sometimes to find a safe place to run. I love exploring somewhere new.

Jack - nice that you found somebody to run with during practice who helped push you.

Jimmy - I'm glad your mom's surgery went well.  Hope your run tonight goes well.

Coralie - sorry about the hamstring.  Hope it feels better tomorrow.  Were you pushing the pace?

AFM:  Today was cool (72) and overcast but very humid (DP @ 65).  I did a 12.7 mile long run that was partly really good and partly not so much.  It was a new route, partly because the maps lied again and the route I started to do doesn't actually exist.   I can't seem to keep my runs slow enough, so by mile 8, I was dragging.  Tried jelly bellies today for quick sugar energy, and that worked pretty well, but every time I eat or drink anything while running, I end up with stomach issues.  I'm trying to find something that doesn't give me cramps, but since even water does it, I'm just going to have to live with it.   Sweat was pouring off me, so not drinking wasn't an option.  Maybe next time I'll try bringing Gatorade instead of water.  I ended up doing more walking than I wanted.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

About to head out for my second run of the day.  The back still feel awful when I'm sitting down, or laying down, or bending over, or twisting.  Feels great when I'm standing up or running though :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Amazonian Princess

Happy Tuesday! Short week at work since I'm headed out of town this coming weekend but I'm forcing myself to take a lunch break so I get time away from the desk.

Tried the "rolling hills" setting on the treadmill at work last Friday and it wasn't bad. Had some leg cramps that night which may have been exertion but I'm trying to drink more water, and eat a pickle wedge and half a banana a day because DH read somewhere that it could helpSmile

Had a good four mile run on Sunday but still kinda plateaued. I'm trying to ramp up the other things I'm  doing: hand weights when I go out with the walking group and riding my bike to swim lessons and the trainer. According to my Wii fit I've lost six more pounds so I think the little increases are helping and I just need to be patient.

So, can I ask if pickles and bananas help prevent cramps or do I just need time to build strength?

I can. I will. I am.