Beginners and Beyond

RR - Witch's Hat Half Marathon - 9/6/14 (Read 74 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Thank you, kind sir.  I'll be curious to see how your LR goes.  Please don't keep me waiting for an answer like you did this morning.

<3

B-Plus

Thank you, kind sir.  I'll be curious to see how your LR goes.  Please don't keep me waiting for an answer like you did this morning.

He needs one of those fancy garmins with the live tracking.

Baboon

delicate flower

He needs one of those fancy garmins with the live tracking.

Garmin 620 has that.  As an owner of that model, I can not recommend it.

<3

B-Plus

Garmin 620 has that.  As an owner of that model, I can not recommend it.

Do you have a single nice thing to say about the 620?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

He has a lemon, or maybe boon is just fickle...?

Mine seems to work perfectly fine. (though the live tracking is a bit of an inconvenience... (I got a garmin for accuracy and to lose the phone, but you need the phone to live track. ) )

Baboon

delicate flower

Hmmmmm......

• The touchscreen works well
              • You can display lots of data on the screens (three screen with four data points per)
              • All of the newfangled data is pretty cool when the device is operating with all cylinders firing properly
              • Using the internal accelerometer for TM running instead of needing a footpod is pretty cool (I still use the footpod)
              • Recover adviser and VO2 max with race estimations are pretty neat, and the race predictor has been surprisingly accurate
              • The addition of bike mode in a recent firmware update is a huge plus

I don't think it's my device because I see lots of folks on the Garmin forums complaining about the same issues as me, and every problem I've encountered has been addressed in a firmware update so I know I'm not losing my mind.  I see two big reasons why I've had so many problems.  First, I was an early adopter.  I bought the device about a month after it's initial release, making me a guinea pig.  I should know better.  I bought the 410 long after it's release and never had a problem.  Also, I use a lot of the bells and whistles that many folks probably don't use, thus more can go wrong.  If I didn't have HRM plus footpod plus Bluetooth all firing away with all of the watch's functionality turned on, I probably wouldn't have so many things go wrong.  Still, if it's there, I expect it to work.

As far just giving distance, pace, and splits, it does the job just fine.

<3

LRB

I'll be curious to see how your LR goes. 

I would bet one dollar that it gets extended to 18 miles, two dollars to 20.

B-Plus

Sorry for the thread hijack, DaveP!

On that note, one thing I would like to see return to the new garmins is the return to start feature. It's a nice safety net when running in a strange land.

LRB

Sorry for the thread hijack, DaveP!

On that note, one thing I would like to see return to the new garmins is the return to start feature. It's a nice safety net when running in a strange land.

I have that on my 410 I think.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Dave. I agree with Z that your pacing looks wonderful. I'm glad the weather worked out and you came in with such a huge PR.

- Andrew

DavePNW

Some late pic additions.

Coming down towards the finish - unfortunately does not show the very end, but I ended up catching & beating this guy by 1 second. He looks pretty relaxed, but I am guessing he was just out of gas. You may be able to tell I was hurting a little bit - would definitely be good for a few laughs on that old "what is your finish face" thread.

Dave

happylily

LTH will be proud of you. You really raced it to the very end. Your expression indicates that well.  You have great form for an old guy! (btw, I think I may be catching you in age in a few days. :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

That guy beside you looks so confused.

Baboon

delicate flower

Dave and #120 are shorts buddies!

<3

B-Plus

Dave and #120 are shorts buddies!

Except 120 is wearing his about 5 sizes too large.