Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - Take: Two (Read 31 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Because you are all about yourself, obvi.

Great news with the knee. Try not to do a million sets of leg exercises the next time time you're at the gym!

I haven't done enough evening races to form an opinion about them, and haven't done any night races so I cannot speak on them at all. It is said that late afternoon/early evening is the best time to race, but I wouldn't know.

No!! Reading makes me sleepy, ya'll need to post pics of your workouts  I'm normally not one for picture books that tell the story, but damn it I'll take em over paragraphs in the morning. I have been so sleepy all day, and I can't tell anybody else because they'll say "well then you need to stop getting up so early and blah blah blah " - bitch please!!! They ain't got a clue...... only you guys can slightly understand my insanity 

Side note - after posting, and lunch... and another ice cold bottle of water, I was able to read all the pages of this thread 

I've excluded the Leg Extensions and lunges, as they were giving me issues and the Glute Blaster is off the list for the moment because of the movement and it sometimes gave my knee issues. Not sure if it still would, but I'll wait a while longer. The squats seem to be helping, though they wear my ass out.... and my quads really hate me afterwards.

During summer, I avoid running anytime between 7 AM and 7 PM if it is sunny and the temperature is above 80. Two reasons:

One: I hate the sun, it makes my head hotter and I sweat more, and I just get hotter

Two: Jetta is black and the sun hates her, so I try to save her that kind of suffering by waiting until the sun is going down, gone or hasn't even come up yet.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

During summer, I avoid running anytime between 7 AM and 7 PM if it is sunny and the temperature is above 80. Two reasons:

One: I hate the sun, it makes my head hotter and I sweat more, and I just get hotter

Two: Jetta is black and the sun hates her, so I try to save her that kind of suffering by waiting until the sun is going down, gone or hasn't even come up yet.

Is that like a boycott? lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

I did an evening race June 10 and am doing another Saturday. I prefer not getting up early on weekends.

onemile

Maybe that's my problem. I originally had a 5k I was going to do this weekend, but I think other plans are getting in the way. Just the other day I was looking at potential races in July; one that came up I completely wrote off because it was an evening race. Maybe I should give it a try.

An evening race in July sounds hot

Unless it doesn't get hot in July in Seattle?

Half Crazy K 2.0

The one I did on the 10th started at 8. It was hot, but the sun was not a factor.

In MD, 8am or PM is hot most days in summer.

onemile

The one I did on the 10th started at 8. It was hot, but the sun was not a factor.

In MD, 8am or PM is hot most days in summer.

They usually start at 6:30 or 7pm here. I have never seen one at 8pm.

Thankfully it's only going to be in the 70's here tonight. Tomorrow's going to get to 88.

DavePNW

Yes. Not as hot as it would probably be in other places, but likely hotter than I'd like, and hotter than it would be at 8AM. Which was why my immediate reaction was to blow it off. But who knows. We've spent a lot of time talking about how workouts are slower in the morning than in the evening - why would races be different? Maybe bluerun has something there.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Yes. Not as hot as it would probably be in other places, but likely hotter than I'd like, and hotter than it would be at 8AM. Which was why my immediate reaction was to blow it off. But who knows. We've spent a lot of time talking about how workouts are slower in the morning than in the evening - why would races be different? Maybe bluerun has something there.

I don't know if this is true, but I remember reading somewhere that it's less humid in the evening than in the morning (because the sun has had time to "burn off" the moisture).  I feel like humidity has more of a negative effect than heat, so that might have something to do with it.  Or I'm just making things up.

It's supposed to be 82° at the start of mine.  And the last race I ran at that temperature went so well... not.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is normally less humid in the evening (and lower dewpoint), which could be why. You are also not in starvation mode like when you run in the morning (even after eating before the race), and better hydrated, IMO.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

It is normally less humid in the evening (and lower dewpoint), which could be why. You are also not in starvation mode like when you run in the morning (even after eating before the race), and better hydrated, IMO.

This is part of why it took me so long to do an evening race.  My digestive system is so finicky that I was terrified of what it would do if I tried to run with a days' worth of food in it.  (Now it's annoying because I'm scared to deviate from what's worked relatively well, so I literally eat the same things all day every single time I do an evening race, and that gets kind of boring.  But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess?)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I do think I could race better in the evening but not better enough to PR when my PR was run on a 40 degree day.  If the option was for an evening race on a 40 degree day? yes!  but morning or evening, when it is 64 or 70 degrees, I will still be slow.  I mean, I ran a 10k a couple weeks ago at a 7 minute mile and that was sunny and 70 at the start.

Half Crazy K 2.0

They usually start at 6:30 or 7pm here. I have never seen one at 8pm.

Thankfully it's only going to be in the 70's here tonight. Tomorrow's going to get to 88.

Saturday's starts at 7:30pm. I'm sort of surprised they keep an 8 pm start for the Moonlight 5k. There are a fair number of walkers/very casual participants, so finish times approaching 1 hour aren't rare. The equestrian center has limited lighting and the rail trail has none. By 9, it's dark.

There is a trail race on 7/3 that also starts at 7:30. That one requires lights, not sure if I want to do it.

The summer track races the running club puts on start at 6:30. I haven't gotten around to doing one even though they are close. It's still hot then.

For whatever reason it seems many of the summer races I've done have large portions of the route that have no shade and lots of sun. By 7:30 pm, that isn't an issue so it's a little more comfortable.

A few years ago I did a 5k in December that started at 1 or 2 pm, which was a nice change. It wound up being 65-70 that day, not normal for here.

No more marathons

Some of my early introductions to racing back in the 80's was in the summer in Tampa.  The running club I belonged to had a "Beat the Heat" series of 5K events.  They were held on some weekday (I can't remember which one) in July and August - at something like 6 or 7 PM.

Fun times.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Wow -5 miles at a nice pace and no pain in the leg.

Didn't expect that quick of a turn around.

Wonder if it was just a bad cramp that left muscle soreness.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Some of my early introductions to racing back in the 80's was in the summer in Tampa.  The running club I belonged to had a "Beat the Heat" series of 5K events.  They were held on some weekday (I can't remember which one) in July and August - at something like 6 or 7 PM.

Fun times.

"Fun"?  I would call that torture.

Damaris