Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday - Who let the Penguins out? (Read 216 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

If I miss a post this week, just assume that I ran another 6 miles and put up another couple of thousand Christmas lights.  That's my day this week.  Repeat, repeat, repeat...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Did core strengthening yesterday. It was 64 when I got home but only had 15 minutes before sundown so I didn't get to take the bike out. tonight ym workout tonight.

Awood - I was thinking of starting a thread where everyone posts a pic of the most decorated home in their neighborhoodn- we all have at least one!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I wish that I were that house, but not in this neighborhood.  Although I think we started it, there is a house that has reached a point that I'm not sure I'll ever get to.  I'll keep trying by adding lights every year, but wow.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins!

Gustav -- I am sorry you didn't get to take your bike out yesterday. Maybe you can sneak in a ride today!

Awood -- Great job on the 6 miles and good luck putting up all those Christmas lights!

AFM -- I have group physical training (PT) this morning, so I don't know what we'll be doing. I never know what I'll be doing as a workout on Wednesday and Friday morning as I have to PT with WSA (Wing Staff Agency--Air Force). Hopefully it is something fun this morning! 

Dad on the run.

Hey all! Got 3.5 miles in last night and did some strength training when I got home from work. I decided to increase the weights on all my workouts and realized about 2 miles into my run that was not a good idea on a run day, lol. My legs were sooo tired.

Had the privilege of being graced with another terrible headache lastnight around 10:30, wasn't real bad so tried to go back to sleep, woke up again at 11:45 was to the point that I was dizzy waking into the kitchen to take something for it. Went back to bed, tossed and turned until about 1:15 then got up filled the bath tub with steaming hot water and got in, put a towel under my head and a hot wash cloth over my eyes and finally fell asleep until my alarm woke me at 2:45, so I had a great night and had to come to work half asleep and head still slightly hurting Sad

Plan on trying to get at least 4 miles in today and tomorrow, 5 or 6 in on Friday and 7 on Saturday. That would put me at 23.5 which is slightly more than the 10% weekly increase.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Hey everyone, no run for me last night, I just felt like being lazy when I got home. I hope to get 6-7 tonight though.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!! Smile

8 miles done this morning, good run. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting.. Sorry that you can’t get your biking in..

Awood, 6Miles and decorating sound nice..

Rach, Enjoy the PT..

Jimmy, sorry abt that headache..

Mitch, hope you get that run in tonight..

Had not been running for 3 days since HM.. enjoying the recovery.. Will try to get in 3-5M tmr and donate blood after the run.. to celebrate life…

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Going to try for a RD today (if DW allows it).  14 miles last 2 days,  Hopefully I will make it to the health club and get a rest.

Have a great Hump Day  !!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - Airforce?  Thank you for your service.  Good luck with the PT.  Hopefully, its something enjoyable.  I've had some fun PT, and some miserable in my past.

jblack - After a night like that, I don't know about running tonight.  Unless you can get a nap in, I'm not sure I wouldn't come home and hit the sack.  I've been lucky to mostly avoid headaches since I was a teenager on epilepsy meds, but if I were having frequent headaches I'd get that checked out.  I hope that tonight is better for you.

Mitch - Here's hoping for a better night tonight.  Sometimes a lazy night is just what you need.

Dave - Keep up the great work. 

Bin - That's awesome that you're donating blood.  It's good that you've rested a few days.  Make sure to keep this week kind of light after a HM and a blood donation.  Of course, I probably don't need to tell you that.  You're pretty smart guy from what I've seen.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Good luck with that rest.  If the DW wants a run though, I'm sure it's hard to say no to that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

Gustav- sorry you didn't get your bike out yesterday. have a good workout today!

A_wood- you really love your Christmas lights! I live in an apartment, so much less work on the decorating! I don't have a yard or outside of a house to decorate, and I only have room for a teeeeeny tree that is up to my hip.

TooStupidToStop- Enjoy the training!

JBlackJr- Yikes! So Sorry about the headache Sad

Hog- Ok to be lazy sometimes! Enjoy your run tonight

Dtothe2nd- Glad you had a good 8

Bin- Enjoy the resting, you deserve it!! You have such a positive attitude. Good luck giving blood. I hate donating blood, but I will suck it up and do it occasionally, usually if it is part of a benefit or something.

AFM- just got back from 2 easy miles, in 55 degree weather even before sunrise! So much for winter miles points. I have not run in a short sleeved shirt in a long time! I did NOT want to get out of bed this morning. But as I lay there in between alarm snoozes, I did a quick check-in with my body, and went through a mental checklist of all the legitimate reasons I HAVE turned off the alarm and opted out of a run recently. Are my muscles unbelievably sore from recent runs? No. Do I feel a cold coming on? No. Does my stomach hurt? No. Do I feel so beyond exhausted that an hour less of sleep may greatly inhibit my ability to have a productive work day? No. Then suck it up buttercup let's get up and RUN! Haha....and it was a nice little run too, glad I got myself out there.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I'll hit personals later, on the iPhone this morning! But I did 2.5 this morning, 1 warmup mile at 1% incline and 12 mm pace, 1 mile at 4% incline and 15 mm pace, and .5 mile at 1% incline at a 9.30 mm pace! It was fun and different! I need to start hill training so today was it!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jerry- Have a good rest

Kristi- Good job on the hills! I've been trying to do a little more lately too.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to