Beginners and Beyond

Your LRS - is this happening where you live? Do you care? (Read 111 times)

Little Blue

Raleigh, N.C. — A trio of locally owned running stores across the Triangle were recently purchased by a major corporation, but that change is not apparent to customers, and small business advocates worry that shoppers will be confused.

"It can be a little deceiving to the consumer when you think you are supporting a local, independent business and you are really supporting a national chain," said Jennifer Martin, executive director of Shop Local Raleigh.

Martin said she was one of those confused when she made a purchase from Raleigh Running Outfitters on Six Forks Road.

Both that store and a Cary location owned by the same couple were sold in January to the Running Specialty Group - a division of Finish Line. The same company bought Capital Run Walk in Cameron Village and more than 70 other independently-owned running stores across the nation.

Runologie, in downtown Raleigh, is currently the only local and independently owned running shop in the city, Martin said.

Clayton Roberts said he frequents Raleigh Running Outfitters. "I like the store because it is convenient and local," he said.

The sale, Roberts said, is “not surprising, but it is a little shocking."

Knowing the store has changed hands may change his habits. "I think it is actually important to help the local community and the local business that are local," Roberts said.

The business names, web sites and employees did not change after the buyout. On the Raleigh Running Outfitters website, the "about us section" shows a photo of the previous owner and tells the story of how the business was started.

A spokesperson for Finish Line told WRAL News that the company plans to rebrand the stores they have acquired across the country and rename them to JackRabbit.

The rollout will start in New York City and the stores will continue to support local events, the spokesperson said.

Little Blue

I only hit the LRS when I need to switch shoe styles, so rarely.  I don't think this matters so much to me, since the people are still the same.

Conflicted.

Baboon

delicate flower

Now I don't know all the ins and outs of operating an LRS or how profitable they are, but based on how freakin' packed mine is every time I go in there, plus the fact that the shop has expanded twice in the last few years, I am guessing the place is a gold mine for the owner.   It'd probably take a huge offer to pry the shop from the owner's hands.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I can think of 4 independent LRS in my area. One has expanded to 5 stores and also does event management, so they seem to be doing well.

That said, I do all my shoe shopping at the physical location of Holabird Sports. It's a no brainer. Their showroom is actually the closest one to home and the LRS prices can't compete.

Judging by Facebook, people swear by the largest LRS.

You Rang?

My LRS sponsors our running club.  They provide pacers to local races, and generous discounts to the local high school track teams. Although while neither the prices, the selection,  or the hours of operation are all that great, the place is mobbed every weekend.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

cjones1

I've purchased one pair of shoes from my LRS, when I first started running, and was a total noob.  I was totally not impressed with the employees...or the prices after discovering the internet (duh).  I get all my stuff online now.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Zelanie

I'm pretty sure that my LRS is still independent.  There are a ton of "sports" type chain stores in the area, but the LRS is the only actual running store.  I try to buy from them instead of online whenever I can, especially for stuff I'd be paying full price for anyway.  Just got my Garmin there this week, for example.  Smile  Plus I get a 15% discount on shoes for being a member of the local running club (we meet outside the store for group runs even).

Hip Redux

We have two local options - Fleet Feet, which is a national franchise and Sound Runner, which is owned by Marathon Sports,  the MA chain (not sure if it's a franchise or what).

So long as the service is there, I really don't care.

GinnyinPA

We had a LRS that went bankrupt about a year ago.  They were too small to have much selection and service wasn't great.  So I would drive to  another LRS in a town about an hour away when I needed new shoes.  They were always very helpful. That store opened a branch here about a month ago.  So far, I've really liked what I've seen.  Nice people, very helpful, very eager to be involved in our local running community.  I will definitely give them my business because I want them to thrive.  The alternative is Dicks, Dunham or Cabelas - none of which carry anything I'm interested in.  I have hard to fit feet and my size rarely goes on sale online.

Half Crazy K 2.0

GinnyinPa, are the Hagerstown or Gettysburg outlets close to you? Brand selection is limited though. I've tried addidas or new balance shoes on many times, but just don't click with them.

My LRS is independently owned.  Frankly, I only go there when I have a gift certificate, because I don't need fitting or shoe suggestions and they are much more expensive than the 'House.

DavePNW

Not sure why we'd expect the running store industry to operate any differently than any other industry. Fewer & fewer independently owned stores of any kind.

I guess I don't care too much. I'm open to the possibility that a corporate-owned store may have good service, and an independently owned store may not. I used to always go to the LRS for shoes to support them, but ultimately decided it was just easier online. (Can't remember if I stopped going before or after they got bought out by a larger company.) I buy the same shoes over & over again, ideal for buying online. I did have a good experience at a (highly acclaimed) LRS in Seattle when Brooks changed to the most recent version of the Adrenaline - they helped me determine I actually needed to go up a size. So I might go back to try on any new versions. I rarely buy any other kind of gear.

Dave

Cyberic

There are many LRS around here, some independantly owned, others part of a national chain. I usually shop online, because of the prices. But when i go to the LRS, I want advice, I want to try stuff on... so quality of service is ranked on top of my list. All the people who work there are local anyways. So to me, it's all about the employees they hire.

From the Internet.

My LRS seems to be doing just fine. I know lots of running club members frequent the store versus buying stuff online just to support a local business, and the store is very active with the local running community - they've got a big space in the back where they host events and classes and stuff, and they have their own running club too. I stop in and buy little things like socks and Gu from them (they give me a discount for buying Gu in bulk and I can mix and match flavors so it works out to be better for me than buying it online and being stuck with one flavor), but I still buy my shoes from the 'House because the prices are just not even close.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One of the longest existing LRSs in my area just closed after 25 years in business.  I'm not sure how well they were doing but there are at least 4 others near enough for me to shop at. I stopped frequenting that one because they had a lot of HS employees that weren't that knowledgeable.  I had to wait for one of the owners to be available if I was changing brands or models and not just getting another pair of what I run in. Not so at the store where I shop most often now. All the employees are long time runners and most have been working there for years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.