Beginners and Beyond

NYC Marathon (pics added page 2) (Read 115 times)

Dad on the run.

Awesome race and great job getting your sub 4!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for the RR, you are a thoughtful and purposeful runner.  Your advise to others is appreciated far and wide.  Rest up my friend, I see only good things for you in the future.

TakeAHike

I loved this report Meaghan.  You captured so many rich details that I didn't notice or have already forgotten.  Your comment about Sunnyside and how you capture a bit of each place you have lived really resonated to me.  I live in the the suburbs, so while I have a connection with the city, I don't have the same deep connection that you clearly do.  And now onto my favorite part.  You didn't just write a good report, you absolutely nailed your training and your race.  You were a woman on a mission and your certainly achieved that mission.  I can't believe your even splits.  You were like a metronome.  Congrats on a great race. Congrats on a huge PR. And congrats on a a sub 4 marathon. Fantastic!

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Ric-G

congrats meaghan on the xlnt result and sub 4! i thought your splits were terrific. i knew you would be passing people at the end if you kept up with those splits. great report. this makes me want to return to the nycm one day. rest up and enjoy....you deserve it!

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

Meaghan, you executed that race about as well as it's possible to do.  I found it interesting that you mentioned slowing down because you lost focus.  In my first marathon, I started chatting with some guy around Mile 5 or 6 and the same thing happened.  That was my lesson on the necessity of maintaining focus for the entire distance.  Despite that, you went into the race with a plan and didn't let yourself get carried away with race day excitement nor did you approach it with fear.  Damn good job.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Sweetie Meaghan, I want to read your RR with a calm head and a coffee in hand, not with 5 screaming kids all around me, so I will be back later this afternoon. But for now, I just want to say that I stalked you a little and looked at your pictures. Wow! I really hope that you buy them. You are so beautiful and look so victorious! Please buy them all, you deserve them and they tell exactly how you must have felt while racing and after you finished. You ran an amazing race... I'm so happy for you!

I'll be back!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Hey... why does it say you are from Canada in the results? Are you really?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome finish, and great RR!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

meaghansketch

Damaris- Thank you, thank you, thank you Smile (that's for the congrats here and in the dailies threads).

Jack Klompus- Yes, that may well be the happiest I ever am at the end of a marathon-- I wouldn't doubt it!  Thank you!

bozydeco- Thank you!  The confidence is a new thing for me, it feels pretty good!

redrum- It is as charming as you can imagine.  New Yorkers love to complain about the logistics, and there's a lot not to love about 3 hours in the cold beforehand or the long forced march afterwards, and yes, it's crowded and expensive... but it truly is unlike any other race I've experienced. Thank you!

Kristin- Thank you!  I really tried to capture the feel and not just the facts...  Hope to be cheering for you on the course in the future!

RSX- Thank you!

Rick- Yes, it is calling you!  I would love to see you come back from your injury stronger than ever and time qualify... Or you can try your hand at the lottery!  Thanks for the comments on my race plan!  Your advice has been very helpful the past few months!  As to the future I think I am not ready to sign up for another marathon yet.  I will focus on short distances and not think about the marathon until (at least) the deadline to register for next year's race.

Mitch- Thank you!  Yes, it was wonderful that my mother and sister could be there.  They are amazing cheerleaders for me!

Rabbit Chaser- Thank you!

Sarah- Thank you!  It was an amazing feeling to be running so strong and so happy!

Awood- Thank you!  I've been following your training too-- we had similar mileage and goals going into our races this past weekend.  Great to see you have such a great debut!

Phil- Thank you!

Beth- Thank you, I hope you do really train for one!  I wouldn't at all be surprised if that sub-4 was well within reach for you.  I am inspired by the joy with which you run marathons whether you have a time goal or not-- sometimes I feel like I get too invested in a finishing time.

onemile- Thank you!

jblackjr- Thank you!

fourouta5- Thank you for your kind words!

TakeAHike- Thank you!  I can't wait to hear about your race!  Do you have a RR up?  I hope it was a wonderful experience for you!

Ric-G- Thank you!

Brad- Thank you!  It's hard to stay focused for an entire marathon, I'm kind of glad I kept enough mental energy to be focused through the last few miles.  I would be kicking myself, though, if that lack of focus had gotten me a 4:01!

Julie- Thank you for your comments on my pictures!  Yes, I am buying them all Blush I was truly as happy as I looked.  Yes, I am from Canada!  Born in Ottawa, raised on the West Island (Pierrefonds/ Pointe Claire-- you are from Montreal, right?), New Yorker for 13 years but still a Canadian at heart and on my passport!

FreeSoul- Thank you!  You had a great race too this weekend!

way to go- great splits and I know the nutrition and lack of caffeine helped Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

meaghansketch

OK, I did buy all of these, but because it's going to take so long to process the order, here are the proofs:

(I am in the red PPTC singlet)

This might be going over the Pulaski bridge around the halfway point-- or maybe it's a bit earlier, I don't remember.  I'm still looking fresh!

going over the Willis Ave Bridge-- the guy in front of me is having a pretty good time too!  I really look as if I'm underdressed but I maintain that it's everyone else who was overdressed.

Same bridge, same thumbs-up guy, closer shot.  That fuel belt makes for one flattering photo, let me tell you!

Right before the finish-- I guess I thought I'd take a nap?

I guess I woke up in time to cross the finish line!

the "Hey I got a medal" picture.  Two days later and I'm still grinning ear to ear.

Congrats on a well executed race and getting that sub-4!!!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

delicate flower

Love the pics, Meaghan!

<3

LRB

Excellent, you look so happy!

How the hell you have the energy to raise your arms like that though is a mystery to me!  I barely even look at the cameraman, on the rare occasion that I even notice him that is!

SheCan

Congratulations, what a fantastic race!   This is the race I want to run.  I love how you made it more then just a physical race, but showed what mental discipline it really takes to achieve such goals.  You're absolutely glowing with enthusiasm/happiness in your pictures-- so pretty!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson