Beginners and Beyond

Rock of Ages Fridailies! (Read 44 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Good morning!

0 miles again. I'm ready for this week to be done. Wednesday afternoon my dad was in a minor car accident. He wasn't hurt in the accident and neither was the other driver and there was no damage to the cars, but he has been hospitalized since Wednesday. Dad blacked out at a red light and rolled into the back of another driver. His blood pressure was 220/102 at the time and they've had trouble getting it down since. They finally got it within normal range yesterday. He's been having some dizzy spells and problems with memory and confusion the past few months too. While in the hospital he's been able to have a battery of tests and it's been determined he needs a pacemaker, so that will happen some time today. Older brother #2 has been a huge help and is the primary caretaker/decision maker which is a relief after going through two years of medical stuff with my in-laws and being the primary caretaker for my mom when she was ill.

All of that is to say, any positive thoughts/prayers/vibes, whatever your tradition/inclination is would be greatly appreciated.

I still can't run because the toe is still healing up, so my usual stress reliever is out, so I have a bag of dark chocolate reese's and a veggie drawer full of beer to keep me company. Big grin

Happy birthday D and happy Friday to everyone!

LRB

I eat Oikos yogurt by Dannon, and for the second time in as many weeks, when asked by a coworker what it is I have responded with Oski!

GET OUTTA MY HEAD YA FRIGGIN' MASCOT!  Joking

StepbyStep-SH

Sending prayers for your family, HL!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went out after work yesterday into the 93 degree weather, 58% humidity and 73 dew point and did 3.3 miles of hills.  Not quite as warm as Damaris' weather in Miami, but still pretty warm, and the air was pretty thick as there were thunderstorms threatening.  It is raining right now, as a matter of fact, coming down really good, and supposed to do this all day and all night.  We will probably get some flooding in places.  Anyway, I did my running segments very well, and my main goal for this run was to get up Zoo Hill nonstop - a fairly steep hill that is long too, about a half-mile long - and I did exactly that, got up that sucker in good order. Nice reward at the top with a lovely view looking down at the Zoo's Japanese Tea Gardens.   Two more hills near Trinity University and then it was flat the rest of the way back to the YMCA.  Very nice run/walk, felt strong the whole way.  Today is a rest day and I will pick up my packet after work for Sunday's 5K.  Tomorrow I drive to Austin - weather permitting and if the roads are not flooded -  for the CASA Superhero 5K, a fun one I do every year, with lots of folks wearing all kinds of costumes, some of them are really quite imaginative!  LOTS of photos for this report!

Holidays for Sep 20th are:

Punch Day

Tradesmen Day

Farm Safety Day

Chicken Dance Day, oh yeah! Especially celebrated in Cincinnati. On September 20, 1994, the Crown Prince of Bavaria visited Cincinnati and participated in an Oktoberfest Zinzinnati celebration that included the world's largest chicken dance. With 40,000 people joining in the activity, the event was recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And this weekend is "Clean Up the World" weekend

And Sep 22 -  in celebration of one of our own forum folks Wink - is Hobbit Day!

chicken dance cartoons, chicken dance cartoon, chicken dance picture, chicken dance pictures, chicken dance image, chicken dance images, chicken dance illustration, chicken dance illustrations

party punch cartoons, party punch cartoon, party punch picture, party punch pictures, party punch image, party punch images, party punch illustration, party punch illustrations

KEYWORD1  2005-06-10  parody  parodies  lay off the exfoliating cream  lay off the exfoliating cream

tradesmen cartoons, tradesmen cartoon, tradesmen picture, tradesmen pictures, tradesmen image, tradesmen images, tradesmen illustration, tradesmen illustrations

tradesmen cartoons, tradesmen cartoon, tradesmen picture, tradesmen pictures, tradesmen image, tradesmen images, tradesmen illustration, tradesmen illustrations

hobbits cartoons, hobbits cartoon, hobbits picture, hobbits pictures, hobbits image, hobbits images, hobbits illustration, hobbits illustrations

hobbits cartoons, hobbits cartoon, hobbits picture, hobbits pictures, hobbits image, hobbits images, hobbits illustration, hobbits illustrations

the lord of the rings cartoons, the lord of the rings cartoon, the lord of the rings picture, the lord of the rings pictures, the lord of the rings image, the lord of the rings images, the lord of the rings illustration, the lord of the rings illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

HobbitLegs, will keep your dad in my thoughts.

I like how SUS called me a young lady, haha.

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies.

Wow Hobbit, I hope everything works out.

Happy Friday everyone. I have a 10k race tomorrow, which I'm pretty pumped for. Went out for an Easy 4 this morning, which I accomplished. I also accomplished getting a little blister on the bottom of my foot where my sock bunched a little bit. I should just toss some of these "training socks" away and just stick to the higher end stuff. I've never had blister issues with my higher-end socks.

Have a great day everyone!

- Andrew

Dad on the run.

Injinji socks are my favorite, I love running with the toe socks! Unfortunetly I have lost one of them so now I just run in my swiftwick (great socks)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Hip Redux

I eat Oikos yogurt by Dannon, and for the second time in as many weeks, when asked by a coworker what it is I have responded with Oski!

GET OUTTA MY HEAD YA FRIGGIN' MASCOT!  Joking

Bwahahahahaa!  Big grin

HL - good thoughts to your dad!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just tried the injinji socks.  Worst socks I have.  I had to stop by mile 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 to fix it.  It is all due to my arthritic toe but I've never had socks so screwed up since so early into the run.

Obviously, your experience will vary if you don't have the stupid toe issue.  Ha.

Damaris

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

My DW was going for a run this morning so I decided to follow along at her pace. I thought it might be therapeutic for me after last night's brisk 10 miler. We wore matching red shirts from our first and only 5K race last October. 3.21 miles @ 11:58 pace. Can I count these as running miles for myself even though it was much slower than my normal pace; even much slower than my recovery pace?

Regardless of the pace, it was fun to get out there with her. She is a tiny little woman so she looks cute running. We must look like father and daughter running together. I am 6'1" and 175 pounds and she is 5'2" and tiny. I will still run my 6 miles tonight.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

My DW was going for a run this morning so I decided to follow along at her pace. I thought it might be therapeutic for me after last night's brisk 10 miler. We wore matching red shirts from our first and only 5K race last October. 3.21 miles @ 11:58 pace. Can I count these as running miles for myself even though it was much slower than my normal pace; even much slower than my recovery pace?

Regardless of the pace, it was fun to get out there with her. She is a tiny little woman so she looks cute running. We must look like father and daughter running together. I am 6'1" and 175 pounds and she is 5'2" and tiny. I will still run my 6 miles tonight.

Heck yes, count those as recovery miles.

- Andrew

Ric-G

hobbit - thoughts and prayers;

jblack - injinjis work for me too but only use for longer runs

D - birthday wishes

sus - count 'em

day off today but gotta do a hundred or so things...ran 7 easy this AM...have a great weekend everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

Jess runs for bacon

HL, sending positive vibes your way.

Damaris, sorry you had some bad news. But happy birthday!!!

Feeling defeated right now, was supposed to do 15 (longest ever) but around 11 miles my hip started to hurt. Stretched and walked a bit but finally had to stop at 13. Last time I pushed through this I had ITBS for two months. Is this what marathon training is like?

LRB

Is this what marathon training is like?

For some of us, pretty much.

Jess runs for bacon

For some of us, pretty much.

Oddly, that's reassuring,

of course, after I sat for 20 minutes, gulped down s huge glass of sports drink and ate half my leftover pizza, i feel better. May try to run three more tonight, but if it hurts right away I will immediately stop (last time referenced above I did this but kept going and I could barely walk when I was done).