Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins, what's on the race schedule? (Read 31 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  The dogs have a vet appointment, and then I'm going to try a run and see how it goes.

Jimmy- Glad the leg is feeling better, and good luck this weekend!

D- Hope you are feeling well enough to run soon!

kristin- Good luck to you and your dad!

Jerry- Glad the hip is feeling good!

Awood- Hopefully rest helps the foot heal up.  I bet it will.

Bin- Hope the air clears up soon.  I am way behind in RRs after my crazy week, but hope to start getting caught up.

Margo- Good luck getting your run in, and thanks for volunteering!

HsM- Hope you get your swim in!

Ginny- A 6th day now and then seems fine, as long as you're not adding an extra "hard" day.  Hope you have a great weekend!

SheCan

Morning everyone!

Haven't ran yet.  I slept in, and then my cat wanted to go outside.  So here we are enjoying a lazy morning outside with coffee.  DH said "Yes," about the race on our only weekend in CO.  I sure love him!

Jimmy--- pushing the stroller on a run surely counts as one of the hard days.  Great workout.  I swear whinin' can be totally cathartic as long as its not about EVERYTHING.

Docket-- finally.... glad you're still taking it easy though.  ARe you going to put up more pics from your trip somewhere?

Kristin-- ohhhh, the much anticipated race with your dad!  How nice!   Getting off early on Fridays must be another perk of the new job.

Bin-- yikes at those pictures from yesterday.  :-(  That sucks that the air quality is so bad.  How are people with breathing issues coping?

Margo--- ohhh, beer servers working with all the firemen!  What is not to love about it?  Hope you have fun, and is very nice of you all to volunteer.

Hi ya Hopesmom, Awood, Jerry!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Bin Running

Cherie, so far we have shortage of N95 masks. Not all are wearing masks on the street but more are putting on.. Haven't seen any runners on the road since im

back.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Busy, busy!!

JBJ: Good luck in your quest for your AG award!

Docket: That SF marathon sounded pretty nice. I think we will put it on the schedule for next year.

kristin: Good luck to you and your pops. Try to get a picture of the finish, that sounds cool!

jerry: Good news about the hip. Rest usually does the trick.

awood: It will be fine. If you were able to run through it and you stay off it, I bet you'll be good to go. A few Natties should also help.

Bin: I will read your RR when I am done here.

PF: DW and I call our foam roller the torture device. Do you free beer? Smile

HsM: Enjoy the swim.

Ginny: We also have company this weekend. I hope yours is better than ours... (ugh).

Zel: Good luck with the run. Are you wearing the strap around your knee?

She Can: Man, those lazy mornings sound nice...

As for me, I did my long run this morning because we have a busy Saturday tomorrow with a swim meet for youngest DD and the company (bleh). My run was 12 miles of hills so it felt like 20! I ran an 8:19 pace and man, my legs are tired! I made a nice smoothie to help recover. Our apricot tree is exploding with fruit this year so I found a good smoothie recipe and made it. DW (she ran 11) took the kids to a movie and I have the house to myself! Now I'm catching up with RRs, Penguin stuff, listening to X and Cake, and enjoying my smoothie. Life is good...

Have a good day. Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Jack, how do you keep the squirrels out of the fruit tree?  We have two peach trees that look awesome every year, and every year the damn squirrels strip them before they're ripe.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We didn't take that many pictures but DH takes a long time to decide to move them from the camera to the computer, so stay tuned.

There are close to 40 marathon pictures of me.  How's that for a forum ho thread? Wink

Morning everyone!

Haven't ran yet.  I slept in, and then my cat wanted to go outside.  So here we are enjoying a lazy morning outside with coffee.  DH said "Yes," about the race on our only weekend in CO.  I sure love him!

Jimmy--- pushing the stroller on a run surely counts as one of the hard days.  Great workout.  I swear whinin' can be totally cathartic as long as its not about EVERYTHING.

Docket-- finally.... glad you're still taking it easy though.  ARe you going to put up more pics from your trip somewhere?

Kristin-- ohhhh, the much anticipated race with your dad!  How nice!   Getting off early on Fridays must be another perk of the new job.

Bin-- yikes at those pictures from yesterday.  :-(  That sucks that the air quality is so bad.  How are people with breathing issues coping?

Margo--- ohhh, beer servers working with all the firemen!  What is not to love about it?  Hope you have fun, and is very nice of you all to volunteer.

Hi ya Hopesmom, Awood, Jerry!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Better stay safe and not run.  Will running on the TM be bad?  Maybe a day pass at a gym or something might help.

Cherie, so far we have shortage of N95 masks. Not all are wearing masks on the street but more are putting on.. Haven't seen any runners on the road since im

back.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack, how do you keep the squirrels out of the fruit tree?  We have two peach trees that look awesome every year, and every year the damn squirrels strip them before they're ripe.

Our dog helps with that. There are also some hawks that circle about and we have seen them nab a few. I was considering a pellet gun but DW is not keen on the idea.

Bin Running

Better stay safe and not run.  Will running on the TM be bad?  Maybe a day pass at a gym or something might help.

Not too sure but ill try to run a little tmr. Unless the gym air is properly filtered, might be breathing in some smog too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Took a 2 mile walk with DW and no problem with the hip. For now I'll go with RWOL's Dr. Metzl's diagnosis that it is tendonitis.  So maybe I'll do  a short, easy run in a few days.  Looks like I need to do more butt exercises too.  DW is more than happy to skip running in our sweltering 66dp weather.  Not much else going on this weekend, except watching the Blackhawks and our 2 last place baseball teams.

Hope you can get your parents exercising with the family, Jimmy.

Feel  better D and AW  Smile

Cheers !!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Finally finished catching up at work after my time off this week, took me 2 days to get through all my e-mail, paperwork, etc.   Today is a rest day for me and then I have a 5K this weekend on Sunday morning, instead of my usual Saturday morning.  Saturday, Gail and I will probably go to a local park.  Nice to be able to sleep in on a Saturday for a change.

Yesterday after work I did my 'hot day' outing.  5 PM, 93 degrees, 'feels like' temp of 96,  humidity of 53%, Dewpoint of 71.   About a half-mile into it, it rained really hard!  It actually felt quite refreshing.  However, just a bit after the mile point, it stopped abruptly.  Then it got REALLY steamy and hot and humid!  I felt like I was back in the Philippines!  I could even see steam rising from the wet plants and shrubbery in the park, gaack!  Mr.  DJ on my player told me the humidity had now shot up to nearly 90% after the rain, and the 'feels like" temp was now 98 degrees. Thanks a lot, like I really needed to know that while I was out there!  And yet I felt pretty good and ran strong during my running segments.  I ended up doing a local 5K route through the park, headed back to the Y (across the street from the park) where I had started, and ended up with  3.3 miles in 35:35.  B the time I got back to the Y, I was DRENCHED in sweat.   I took a cold shower, which felt great.   Not a bad hot-weather run at all.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Afternoon, all Smile

5.1 miles on the treadmill for me. The nerve/hamstring pain reared it's ugly head at about 4.5 miles. More piriformis area stretching today. An easy 3.4 miles tomorrow will get me 19 for the week.

Race schedule, nothing until late November. Just too hot! I might find something in late September/October though.

Jimmy- I'm glad your leg has been feeling better, but burying your head in the sand and hoping it goes away is such a stubborn man thing to do!

Docket- Getting better and healthy again is much more important than running, I know you know Smile I hope you continue to feel better, was it a stomach bug, food poisoning?

Kristin- Running a 5K with your dad sounds like an amazing experience. Excited to read about it!

Jerry- Glad your hip is feeling a bit better, maybe it just need a rest?

Awood- Are you icing your foot? It almost sounds like you bothered a nerve with the rock. I've done the mid-run dance before trying to shift something in my shoe.

Bin- I was just reading about the horrible smog in Singapore, news said the pollution level is double the "unhealthy" level. Stay safe, running can wait for the smoke to leave.

Phillie- Hope you have a great day volunteering tomorrow!

HopesMom- A swim sounds lovely. Enjoy your weekend!

Ginny- Hope your run goes well, and enjoy your company this weekend Smile

Zelanie- Fingers crossed for a pain-free run.

Cherie- Very cool that you will get to do a race in Colorado!

Jack- Nice work on the 12. I wish I could come pilfer some of your apricots, lol.

Scotty- What a miserable sounding run! My last outdoor run was like that for about a mile, the road was so hot the rain started evaporating pretty much instantly. Then it started chucking it down though.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Coralie, I guess we will never know, but since it had a fever and joint pain, I'm assuming it was a virus or flu.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with your race tomorrow, Jimmy.  Bet you will get an AG award.  Nice on the run and upper body workout too at the same time, pushing that stroller.

Hope your stomach behaves, Damaris.

Good luck with the post-work run, Kristin.  Hope your temperature behaves!   Have fun with your Dad at the 5K.

Hope your weight training went well, Jerry.

Nice running, Awood.  Sorry about the foot, though, hope it's nothing at all and is 100 percent in no time.  Yeah, we runners, I think we're more aware of every little ache, discomfort, and pain than most folks, lol.

Ugg, that sucks, Bin.  I can relate, we get the same thing up here, when the agriculture burning is going on in Mexico.  Smoke haze around our city for a few days during all that going on.  Not fun.

Good luck with your LR tomorrow, Margo, and then enjoy being surrounded by all those firemen!  Big grin  Maybe you should take photos at the event and then do your own calendar... Wink

Hope you enjoyed your swim, HSM, if you got it in!  I'm sneaking out early today myself...about an hour early to beat the traffic when I go pick up my packet for my race on Sunday.  Nice day today, our high is only 92 today, sweeet.

Have fun with your company, Ginny!  And your 2-miles does count...you ran it, it's running miles...so log it!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awww. hope your dogs are not sick, Zelanie.  Hope your run goes well, and the knee behaves!

Of COURSE your DH said "yes", Cherie.  As I recall, you and he have been together just about as long as Gail and I have. Husbands who have been married long enough - like him and me - know the Golden Rule for a peaceful marriage:  Keep The Wife Happy.  Big grin  Sounds like you and the cat had an enjoyable morning.

Wow, Jack,...SPEEDY Jack!  Congrats on your 12 miles at that pace!  And hills too! I bet your legs are tired!  Enjoy all your activities tomorrow!

Sorry about your piriformis issues, Coralie.   Here...when my spinal arthritis flared up in 2003, my doc recommended this website to me.  It has some great stretches, not only for the piriformis, but also for the spine in general.   I use lots of these post-run for helping keep my back, hips, etc., behaving themselves.    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretches-and-exercise-sciatic-pain-piriformis-syndrome

Scotty- What a miserable sounding run!   Not at all, Coralie.  I actually enjoyed myself.  The rain felt great; it was steamy after the rain, but I felt pretty good the whole time - and I even got to play with 2 dogs during my last mile.   Also, when I ran by the Zoo, I inadvertently disturbed this group of egrets when I ran around a bend near the park canal, and they 'whooshed up" around me, flying up and away and for a moment I was surrounded by about 30 flying egrets, that was pretty cool, I felt like I was in a scene from a wild-life movie or documentary, lol.