Beginners and Beyond

New Garmin watches being released soon - 230, 235, 630 (Read 79 times)

onemile

I don't get the fascination with sleep tracking and calorie and step counting. We're runners FFS, I could not care less how many steps I take in a day. Are they serious??

Here's how many steps I take when I run 15 miles; a million. Nothing else I do during the day is going to top that. Done. lol

You wouldn't believe how many of my co-workers wear those fit bits to track that shit.  Maybe they misjudged their target audience.

Baboon

delicate flower

So I finally got a minute to look over the site and it looks like the 630 does not have a built-in HRM. Maybe that will come with the 635.

It looks like the 6x and 9x models tend to piggyback each other with technology:

620 came out with added functions from the 910

920 came out with added functions from the 620

630 came out with added functions from the 920

So maybe the 930 (925?) will come out in a year with the new HRM, which will trickle down to the 635.  With these new devices being released, the 920 upgrade is on deck.

ETA:  Then again they may want to continue to offer models with the chest strap.

<3

LRB

You wouldn't believe how many of my co-workers wear those fit bits to track that shit.  Maybe they misjudged their target audience.

Yes, I would actually be more impressed if it did less. Nothing I have seen about it screams I must have that. In fact, it's quite the opposite; I must not have that. lol

LRB

It looks like the 6x and 9x models tend to piggyback each other with technology:

So maybe the 930 (925?) will come out in a year with the new HRM, which will trickle down to the 635.  With these new devices being released, the 920 upgrade is on deck.

ETA:  Then again they may want to continue to offer models with the chest strap.

My fear is the 620 will no longer be compatible with their website and/or the new IQ technology platform, and we will be forced to upgrade. Although I can still run with it, that is essentially what happened with my 410.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't get the fascination with sleep tracking and calorie and step counting. We're runners FFS, I could not care less how many steps I take in a day. Are they serious??

Here's how many steps I take when I run 15 miles; a million. Nothing else I do during the day is going to top that. Done. lol

The Fitbits are all the rage.  Even I have one and the steps are basis for a lot of competitions.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe Ford should still offer horse wagons....

Damaris

LRB

The Fitbits are all the rage.  Even I have one and the steps are basis for a lot of competitions.

Ah. Someone asked if I wanted one and I lol'd, sowwy.

Running is plenty for me, but If it gets people health conscious that's a good thing.

PADRunner

The 235 looks inviting.

From the Internet.

From what DC Rainmaker said, a 635 isn't likely: "When I asked them that, they said it was because most of the differentiating features between the FR235 and FR630 required a HR strap (i.e. Running Dyanmics, Lactate Threshold, Performance App, Stress App, etc&hellipWink. Meaning that if you wanted those extra features, you’d need a HR strap anyway."

Baboon

delicate flower

From what DC Rainmaker said, a 635 isn't likely: "When I asked them that, they said it was because most of the differentiating features between the FR235 and FR630 required a HR strap (i.e. Running Dyanmics, Lactate Threshold, Performance App, Stress App, etc&hellipWink. Meaning that if you wanted those extra features, you’d need a HR strap anyway."

Ah ha...well that makes sense.

<3

Zelanie

I love the step counter.  It is making me wear the 225 all day, which is silly, but now I don't have to ALSO wear my fitbit, which was annoying and needed to be charged all the time.  And I do like to have a general sense of how much I am moving throughout my day. It's not about exercise so much as not sitting for a long chunk of time and then wondering why I'm stiff later.

The Garmin actually does that better than the Fitbit since it has the red "move bar" that gets on your case once you've been inactive for an hour.  The fitbit just does total steps.  Also, the Garmin automatically adjusts your goal based on what you typically do.  It does sleep tracking, too, which I like.  Knowing that I'm tracking my sleep is a bit more motivation to make sure I'm getting enough rest to recover well from running.

Mmmmm...beer

Hmmm, I really like that the 230 can be charged while using, I wish my 220 could do that.  Might upgrade before my 100 miler, we'll see.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You are killing DW  Smile

LRB

Hmmm, I really like that the 230 can be charged while using, I wish my 220 could do that.  Might upgrade before my 100 miler, we'll see.

Pardon me but I'm dense. I saw that feature and couldn't think of a scenario where one would charge their watch and use it at the same time. 

You Rang?

I love the step counter.  It is making me wear the 225 all day, which is silly, 

I guess I'm silly to.  I wear my FR 610 all day and it doesn't count steps.  I wear it because I can read the time display without putting on my glasses.  Also, I charge it at work because I have to babysit the thing, making sure that it charges and does not discharge.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)