Beginners and Beyond

All Hallows Eve DAILIES (Read 37 times)

LRB

Yep. My log is 269.7 this month. I couldn't be bothered to care to run an extra .3.  What I care about is running a good race next Saturday.

I tend to focus more on weekly mileage goals than monthly ones. Which is probably why I have never run 300 miles in a month.

DavePNW

Yep. My log is 269.7 this month. I couldn't be bothered to care to run an extra .3.  What I care about is running a good race next Saturday.

I agree with this. However if it was 299.7, I would run the extra 0.3. I would know when starting my last run how much I needed & would adjust accordingly. I see the appeal of round numbers, not because it is useful, just because it is.

Dave

DavePNW

I tend to focus more on weekly mileage goals than monthly ones. Which is probably why I have never run 300 miles in a month.

If you just set your weekly goals at 70, you'd get there. 

Dave

LRB

You kiddin' me? Body parts would be falling off of me like in the movie The Fly from back in the day if I tried that. lol

Cyberic

There ya go! Dave has done the math for you 

Cyberic

I agree with this. However if it was 299.7, I would run the extra 0.3. I would know when starting my last run how much I needed & would adjust accordingly. I see the appeal of round numbers, not because it is useful, just because it is.

I wouldn't know until I'm all showered up anyways, so there's no way I'd get all geared up for .3 miles.

I don't think I ever ran a true 20 miler in training.

On race day, though, numbers do count!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Or 90 mile weeks...

Great job,Z and Dave.

Damaris

LRB

Or 90 mile weeks...

That's some shit right there that is so far in the stratosphere that I would need a jet to reach it. lol

I'm cool with it though and am content with where I stand in the running mileage hierarchy, very low lol.

Zelanie

I'm cool with it though and am content with where I stand in the running mileage hierarchy, very low lol.

Hardly.  I think we've just adjust what we feel like is "normal" based on what we're used to reading about here.  I would venture to say that most marathoners suffer through with a whole lot less.

Cyberic

Hardly.  I think we've just adjust what we feel like is "normal" based on what we're used to reading about here.  I would venture to say that most marathoners suffer through with a whole lot less.

Very true. The mileage I put on, although modest around here, is actually pretty high in the real world I live in. But I like that. I like to hang around people who do more than me, because I naturally increase my own standards to suck less compared to the others.

Zelanie

Here's an interesting tidbit.  The Chipotle I ate at last Wednesday is now closed due to E. Coli outbreak.  I felt... not great on Thursday but it never went beyond that.  But that might affect 10K time, yes?  

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If there was an extra day, then I probably would run on it and go over. And right now I don't care about the races, 1 - I will never be a super fast runner so I am not going to kill myself for it. 2 - Mileage is more important to me than races are (though I do like placing well...... but I still love the mileage over the race), going the distance is what matters to me, not how much faster I can finish a race. I'm in it for the journey, the adventure and 200 miles is a big thing to me, just like when I went after a sub 2 hour HM finish. It's easy for people to take those things for granted or roll their eyes to these things when it comes so easy for them to reach those numbers or they reach such high mileage all the time  But it doesn't for me, I have to fight for these numbers, now more than ever.

Speaking of which, I did manage to get out with Dorian and get in 7.5 miles which gives me 200 freaking miles for October!!!!! 

Oh, and Thanks DavePNW!!! 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Congrats on the 200 FS!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Here's an interesting tidbit.  The Chipotle I ate at last Wednesday is now closed due to E. Coli outbreak.  I felt... not great on Thursday but it never went beyond that.  But that might affect 10K time, yes?  

Well, e coli kills so I would guess yes.

Damaris

onemile

It's easy for people to take those things for granted or roll their eyes to these things when it comes so easy for them to reach those numbers or they reach such high mileage all the time  But it doesn't for me, I have to fight for these numbers, now more than ever.

It's easy for people to assume that it must come easier to the people who are running higher mileage. Or the people who are running fast times are just genetically gifted with speed.  And that they didn't have to work hard for years to build up to that.  But unless we're talking about the elites, I simply don't think it's true.

Congrats on hitting your goal though.