Beginners and Beyond

All Hallows Eve DAILIES (Read 37 times)

Zelanie

Continuing my streak of training harder than I race, I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time. It was 2 loops of a golf course, so tiny rolling hills the whole time, so when I hit a monster hill at 2.6 and knew I'd see it again, my legs just said FTS. I did get 2nd in my AG and nice bling.

LRB

I try not to take bad runs too seriously during taper.

When should I, during the race? lol

Just kidding. In hindsight I probably should have run this one by my watch but given the current state of my wounds I am okay with everything. Just going to continue to focus on recovery and enjoy marathon race week, which is very special to me!!

onemile

When should I, during the race? lol

Yes, if it feels too hard during the race, I would take it seriously. At least during the first 10 miles.   

I just did my grocery shopping and bought all the carbs. 

LRB

I just did my grocery shopping and bought all the carbs. 

I haven't yet but in the interim I am not getting shorted on any meals. Cool

Half Crazy K 2.0

7.1 easy and core work.

Step, sounds like a good call to skip the race.

FreeSoul, congrats on the AG win.

Zelanie, congrats on the AG award. Rolling hills & grass make for tough conditions, if you are doing most of your training runs on pavement, you will probably be slower on grass. And if there is dew, you get the added fun of "please don't let me fall in front of all these people".

LRB

I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time..

The way I see it is if someone thinks that they can ridicule my shit runs better than I can, they're delusional. lol

workinprogress11

Continuing my streak of training harder than I race, I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time. It was 2 loops of a golf course, so tiny rolling hills the whole time, so when I hit a monster hill at 2.6 and knew I'd see it again, my legs just said FTS. I did get 2nd in my AG and nice bling.

Congrats on the 2nd in AG. I'm sorry you didn't get the time you wanted, though. Some days, races, or in my case years (haha), it just doesn't go our way.

5 easy in the wind and rain and I didn't hate it.

Zelanie

Congrats on the 2nd in AG. I'm sorry you didn't get the time you wanted, though. Some days, races, or in my case years (haha), it just doesn't go our way.

5 easy in the wind and rain and I didn't hate it.

Yeah, I'm on a 2-year streak of can't really race. I am sure it's all mental. 2 weeks ago I did 6x1200 at nearly a minute faster per mile than I ran today. But call it a race and the drive is gone. Either that or I run the hell out of my training workouts.

And it wasn't on grass, except for the people who went on the grass to go around the huge puddles on the sidewalk.  You'd think a golf course would have better drainage.

The second loop was full of 5kers because they had all of these stations set up, like eating a donut on a string without using your hands and stuff. Gotta replace those calories from running the 5k somehow, I guess. There wasn't a lot of room because it was just the golf cart track thing.

My takeaway from this is that I would be very unwise to aim for anything faster than 2:00 in my upcoming HM. And that is valuable info.

Cyberic

14.5 miles with  maybe 10 of those on the mountain.

Cyberic

I ran 10 and my groin was not happy once I opened my stride. If it takes the kind of effort it did to run today's pace next week it's gonna be ugly. My hips and left glute were also unhappy FFS.

Take it easy, Rick. Better toe the starting line with one or two less runs/workouts in you, but injury free, than trying to hit every planned mile at correct pace.

Of course, you know that. But I like to give advice (relevant or not, does not matter) while sitting on my butt with no pressure whatsoever 

Cyberic

I think it's time for you to find space for a TM.

Either that, or stop fussing over a number. 193 miles or 200 in a month is pretty much the same, as far as training is concerned.

Cyberic

That's odd. Do you do a small taper for your race? I would do a 4ish days taper for a 10K.

Congrats on the AG podium.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Either that, or stop fussing over a number. 193 miles or 200 in a month is pretty much the same, as far as training is concerned.

Aren't your numbers in the 200's?

It's a big deal because

1. I have OCD like that, if I am that close to a round number than I want to reach that number.

2. It's been a big envious goal of mine, and I know as winter looms closer and closer that chance to reach 200 will be next to impossible.

Then again, looking at my log... a jump like that in mileage might be just plain stupid...........

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

The Halloween candy carb load worked!  I ran a 25sec PR today at the Spinx Runfest 5k, my 18:32 was good enough for 3rd place male, and 5th overall.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

DavePNW

Congrats on the AG bling! What else really matters?

Seriously, I know the frustration of falling short of expectations on race day. But I wish I could give you some advice - certainly seems to be a pattern for you. I thought I recall you broke through a while back, can't remember the race, nut not sure if you did anything differently. I would say for your HM, to still base your goal time on training paces rather than this 10k. Because it might have just been a bad day. But I generally don't know what I'm talking about.

So after 3 nights in a row of sleeping pretty well, last night was crap. Slept from about 10-1, then up sneezing & blowing my nose till about 4, at which point I went back to bed & was sort of in & out of consciousness till 6.  Rainy & windy outside. I never take URD's when not injured, but this would've been a good one. Went out anyway: 12 miles w/2x3mi (7:24, 7:32). First one was a bit too fast, so the 2nd was pretty hard. But overall happy with the paces. Except I end up not too consistent within the repeat - around 7:40 for the first mile or two, then put the hammer down at the end. Kind of how I race too I guess. Except for marathons.

Oh and I was at the track, so each interval consisted of a bunch of mini-intervals - 200m with a 20mph wind at my back, 200m into a 20mph wind. That was fun. At least the rain mostly held off.

225 miles for the month.

Dave