Beginners and Beyond

Um, TuesDAILIES...Yeah! That's the Ticket! (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

That first cycle is where you find out a lot about yourself, but it usually doesn't hit you until your second or sometimes third cycle. That is when you look at your marathon plan and say "Fuck that shit." 

Fixed to eliminate unnecessary detail.

Dave

LRB

Fixed to eliminate unnecessary detail.

lol

For the record I ran 2 - 18's and 4 - 16's (of varying paces) in my 12 week cycle last fall.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oh, that market has all sorts of great stuff!

Best soft pretzels and cannolis you can get.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

YugoAgain

There was a crap ton of work waiting on me (I was off four days) and a couple of phone numbers on sticky notes in my writing that I am guessing I was supposed to follow up on. I have no idea what in the hell they are for. lol

Definitely had that happen.  Um, I wrote this note to myself, shouldn't I remember?

Slymoon:  I saw about the flooding on the news.  Sad  Terrible.

DavePNW

lol

For the record I ran 2 - 18's and 4 - 16's (of varying paces) in my 12 week cycle last fall.

My plan told me not to run more than 16. Nonetheless, my 9 Sundays prior to taper: 17, 17, 18, 18, 20, HM race, 18, 21, 19.

I wasn't really following that plan anyway. Obv.

Dave

Phil, excellent 8.76.

Shari, ain't nothin' wimpy about taking care of yourself.

Damaris, have a great run.

FreeSoul87, fantastic 4.5. Did you check in the woman and the child again?

Zelanie, have a wonderful time after work.

Slymoon Runs, enjoy doubling. Stay safe.

YugoAgain, amazing running. Wonderful job staying active over the three-day weekend. Have a pleasant run later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The rain around here seems to have stopped and the sun is actually trying to come out again, yay!  Around here, some clear days are needed so all the cleaning up can begin..especially for those poor folks who live in San Marcos and beyond, going towards Austin and out from Austin to the east and west, those folks really got hit hard.

Plan today after work on a very easy run somewhere on flat soft surfaces, after doing my race on Saturday, a couple of hills on Sunday, and more hills yesterday.

My race report and photos from Saturday is somewhere on the front page.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

onemile

Long runs:

Marathon #1 - I think I did a 17, 18, 19, 20, 20 and 22 

#2 - three 16's and two 18's

#3 - 2 16's and three 18's

#4 - 3 16's (nothing further - ouch)

#5 - three 18's and three 20's

#6 - two 17's and three 18's

Funny that both my slowest (#1 and my fastest #5) had the most long runs. But really I noticed no significant difference in the last 10k of any of these except for #4. (ouch).

DavePNW

I forgot to add this to my previous post. I really wanted to try to work on my endurance.

No idea exactly what I'll do next time. With what I'm looking at, better figure out something quick. But mainly plan to add more quality to the LR's.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yeah, Slymoon, it's crazy!  ..here in San Antonio,our parks, etc., got flooded, but compared to the majority of our area, San Antonio did not get hit all that hard, thank goodness....

Here are a few photos from around the state...

One of the bridges in Austin area...

Parts of the city are shown inundated after days of heavy rain on May 25, 2015 in Austin, Texas. Photo: Drew Anthony Smith, Getty Images / 2015 Getty Images

Near downtown Austin

Parts of the city are shown inundated after days of heavy rain on May 25, 2015 in Austin, Texas. Photo: Drew Anthony Smith, Getty Images / 2015 Getty Images

Vehicles stranded in Houston area

Vehicles are left stranded on a flooded Interstate 45 in Houston, Texas on May 26, 2015.  Heavy rains throught Texas put the city of Houston under massive ammounts of water, closing roadways and trapping residents in their cars and buildings, according to local reports. Rainfall reached up to 11 inches(27.9cm) in some parts of the state, national forecasters reported, and the heavy rains quickly pooled over the state's already saturated soil. AFP PHOTO/AARON M. SPRECHER Photo: AARON M. SPRECHER, Getty Images / AFP

Looking at a view of downtown Dallas from the Trinity River..

With downtown Dallas in view, water from the Trinity River floods the area below the Sylvan Avenue bridge Monday, May 25, 2015, in Dallas. Several people were reported missing in flash flooding from a line of storms that stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes. (Louis DeLuca/The Dallas Morning News via AP) Photo: Louis DeLuca, Associated Press / The Dallas Morning News

Bridge no longer over the Blanco River, near Wimberley, which is about an hour from San Antonio

The Fischer Store Road bridge over the Blanco River near Wimberley, Texas is destroyed after a flood on Sunday, May 24, 2015. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman via AP) AUSTIN CHRONICLE OUT, COMMUNITY IMPACT OUT, INTERNET AND TV MUST CREDIT PHOTOGRAPHER AND STATESMAN.COM, MAGS OUT Photo: Jay Janner, AP / Austin American-Statesman

Left to right, Dustin McClintock, 19, of Wimberley,, Brandon Bankston, 18, of Blanco, Hesston Krause, 22, of Smithson Valley, look at the Fischer Store Road bridge over the Blanco River near Wimberley, Texas, which was destroyed in a flood on Sunday May 24, 2015. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman via AP) AUSTIN CHRONICLE OUT, COMMUNITY IMPACT OUT, INTERNET AND TV MUST CREDIT PHOTOGRAPHER AND STATESMAN.COM, MAGS OUT Photo: Jay Janner, AP / Austin American-Statesman

DPS Trooper Marcus Gonzales walks on the Hwy 12 bridge over the Blanco River in Wimberley, Texas, Sunday May 24, 2015. Flooding in Texas and Oklahoma has led to numerous evacuations. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman via AP) AUSTIN CHRONICLE OUT, COMMUNITY IMPACT OUT, INTERNET AND TV MUST CREDIT PHOTOGRAPHER AND STATESMAN.COM, MAGS OUT Photo: Jay Janner, AP / Austin American-Statesman

Luling, Texas..about 90 minutes from San Antonio...this is one of the main streets...

Homes along Texas 1979 in Luling are flooded. Photo: By Houston York, For The Express-News

SHIT-Tay! performance at this saturdays 5k.

4 miles this morning - by feel - had some issues to work out from the above ^

So easy turned into not easy but not particularly hard.... ie: too fast to do any good and to slow to do any good.  But it was enjoyable so there is that.

8 or so miles of hills tonight...  group training is cancelled due to everything in the Fing vicinity being flooded!

Had 5 miles easy yesterday  about 1 mile of it was impromptu water running.  1/4 mile of the trail was submerged (still water - no rushing river) and I ran in and got crotch deep , decided to go for it.   Cleaned my shoes and legs just had to avoid the floating piles of ants.

Bastards...

To give an indication of flooding:  This image below is normal and what we see 95% of the time. (the other near 5% is to the bottom of the trees int he background. ie: up 5-8 feet during rains)

Now, yesterday...  see this fellow in the blue with the red helmet...  he would have been KOd by the bottom of the steel truss girder above as he rocketed down the river.   Yup that shit is high!

Below is a shot with it almost as high back in 2010 (yes same bridge) (like the debris collected?)

No I didn't run through *that* part...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Long runs:

Marathon #1 - I think I did a 17, 18, 19, 20, 20 and 22 

#2 - three 16's and two 18's

#3 - 2 16's and three 18's

#4 - 3 16's (nothing further - ouch)

#5 - three 18's and three 20's

#6 - two 17's and three 18's

Funny that both my slowest (#1 and my fastest #5) had the most long runs. But really I noticed no significant difference in the last 10k of any of these except for #4. (ouch).

I did a few 15's, an 18, a 20 and a 22 miler for #1 (#2 was run on limited mileage due to injury) and the one thing the three of them had in common regardless of the length or frequency of the long runs was the last hour was a bear.

From the Internet.

Sweet.  Just get through the stupid marathon so you can find yourself a good cheese steak after.  If you don't eat meat, that would be a good time to start.

DO WANT.

Just reading that burns me out.

Ha, it's novel enough for me that I'm just excited! Smile I'm sure I'll have a slightly different opinion when I'm a couple weeks away from taper though :P Curious to see what he's going to cook up for the progression the first 12 weeks. Not expecting anything super strict - he said to throw in some track workouts, slower than 5K pace but more reps, race some shorter stuff for fun if I want to (though not all-out if I think I won't recover easily) during that time.

LRB

Ha, it's novel enough for me that I'm just excited! Smile .

And you should be. For all our bellyaching and whining we were as well.

Baboon

delicate flower

DO WANT.

I was told I didn't really get a traditional "cheese steak" because it wasn't the right cut of meat and wasn't with Cheez-Whiz...mine was roast beef with provolone.  I don't care.  It ruled.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Scotty - That is just crazy. And that isn't an isolated area - when something hits Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas. Stay safe.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.