Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

But... Dave... those have sleeves! If I were more game, I would race shirtless. But I'm not. So a singlet it is.

I have never run without sleeves. I don't own a sleeveless shirt, or singlet, or tank, or wifebeater. Other than a few long sleeved ones for winter, I think I have purchased exactly one shirt specifically for running, and it was right around when I first started.

But I am clearly weird.

Dave

happylily

Onemile was right:

tank top

noun

1. a close-fitting sleeveless top.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Onemile was right:

tank top

noun

1. a close-fitting sleeveless top.

Or in UK English, a vest top.

Dave

LRB

Onemile was right:

Now let that be a lesson for the rest of us.

LRB

But I am clearly weird.

Nope, you're you. You wear either long sleeves or short sleeves with no in-between, and I either wear long sleeves or singlets with no in-between.

Now of course I am actually weird, but that's something totally unrelated.

onemile

Now let that be a lesson for the rest of us.

I have both but if it's really warm out, I wear the singlets.

LRB

So with the help of my running confidant, I've been able to get over whatever mental block I had the past two years and eat a gel while running. Even doing so twice last weekend during a pretty brisk portion of my MP session.

As such I stopped by Hansons today and bought three additional flavors to go with the peanut butter one I originally scored with; lemon sublime, root beer (FFS) and big apple.

While eventually I want to try espresso love and buy more salted caramel (I have one left), I chose those three because they contain no caffeine. In that regard caffeine is a route that A) I am not sure I will go because B) I've never really consumed it on the run, so I'll take my time with that.

In the meantime though it's first things first; and that is to keep eating these shits before I relapse.

bluerun

Super B****

Turn any top into a sleeveless one.

And red is the fastest color.  This is a proven fact.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

So with the help of my running confidant, I've been able to get over whatever mental block I had the past two years and eat a gel while running. Even doing so twice last weekend during a pretty brisk portion of my MP session.

As such I stopped by Hansons today and bought three additional flavors to go with the peanut butter one I originally scored with; lemon sublime, root beer (FFS) and big apple.

While eventually I want to try espresso love and buy more salted caramel (I have one left), I chose those three because they contain no caffeine. In that regard caffeine is a route that A) I am not sure I will go because B) I've never really consumed it on the run, so I'll take my time with that.

In the meantime though it's first things first; and that is to keep eating these shits before I relapse.

Are you going to take one during your half? I haven't taken anything at the half marathon distance for awhile. I read that if you're running for 90 minutes or less you really don't need one.  Thoughts? Anyone?

LRB

And red is the fastest color.  This is a proven fact.
                      LRB

Are you going to take one during your half? I haven't taken anything at the half marathon distance for awhile. I read that if you're running for 90 minutes or less you really don't need one.  Thoughts? Anyone?

I don't need it for the half, but I really want to do it in a race, you know? I just feel it would be huge for me if I can choke one of them God awful things down during an actual event. No?

DavePNW

I do not take gels in a half. I don't necessarily take any water for that matter. (And mine are quite a bit more than 90 minutes, FWIW.)

But I would not constitute anything I say as "advice".

Dave

DavePNW

I don't need it for the half, but I really want to do it in a race, you know? I just feel it would be huge for me if I can choke one of them God awful things down during an actual event. No?

I think it may be more a function of pace rather than race conditions. Inability to take one at HMP does not mean you can't take one at MP, regardless of whether you are in a race. IMHO.

Dave

onemile

I think it may be more a function of pace rather than race conditions. Inability to take one at HMP does not mean you can't take one at MP, regardless of whether you are in a race. IMHO.

I am breathing much harder at HMP which makes it a lot more difficult.

onemile

I do not take gels in a half. I don't necessarily take any water for that matter. (And mine are quite a bit more than 90 minutes, FWIW.)

But I would not constitute anything I say as "advice".

I sometimes take a cup of water if I think it will improve my mood.