Beginners and Beyond

Hooray MonDAILIES (Read 34 times)

DavePNW

I am trying to pick out a 5k for next weekend.

Option 1: Hilly (ruled out)

Option 2: Flat but on crushed limestone (70 min drive).

Option 3: Mostly flat but a 90 minute drive

Option 4: I can't find anything about the course but it does say chip timed, and about a 45 min drive

Option 5: Looks fairly flat but starts at 8pm. Which means it will be fairly dark out.

Option 6: Not chip timed, can't find a map of the course

Hmmm.

This needs to be posted as a poll question.

Probably 4.

Dave

Zelanie

I'm liking 4.  2 would be OK.

Just had the best run ever.  Well, in at least a month.  That Alter G thing is magical.  I ran a warmup at the student track, headed over to the Alter G, thinking I'd just take it easy, but at 80% was feeling good, so I did my strength workout.  Had time for 5 x 1 mile @ MP - 0:10 before my session was over.  Then I went and cooled down at the track.

The PT says my left leg crosses over and she suspects my hip is weak.  So I had to try to keep my feet apart when I run- feels like a waddle!  But apparently I'm landing hard on my left leg to compensate.  Went right home and did myrtls.  Will have to keep that up!

It's funny how 10 miles destroyed me on Sat and today's 9 with quality felt great.  We will have to see how I feel tomorrow.

onemile

Baboon, when you found those on garmin connect, were you searching segments?

Baboon

delicate flower

Baboon, when you found those on garmin connect, were you searching segments?

No, I searched activities.  I just listed all activities in Cedarburg, WI on 3/28/2015 (last year's race date).

<3

onemile

No, I searched activities.  I just listed all activities in Cedarburg, WI on 3/28/2015 (last year's race date).

Thanks.

Someone on facebook just told me:

The bosom buddy run is a very hilly 5k. First mile is up hill, and fairly steep, then you get a nice downhill, then 2 more semi long uphills to go before a gradual downhill to the finish.

This is option #4 for those not keeping track.

Zelanie

Option 2 all the way.  I've driven 90 minutes for a 10K before.

onemile

Option 2 all the way.  I've driven 90 minutes for a 10K before.

That's what I'm leaning toward right now.

Except that one starts at 8:30am

DavePNW

I know of two people who wouldn't even know if it's a hilly route

The 5k I'm running this weekend is on a course I've run before. I remember there is a decent sized hill, although I think manageable. My main issue with that last time was that it was 2 loops for a 10k, and hitting the hill the 2nd time was a killer. This discussion however is sort of reminding me that there is also an unpaved portion. Anyway it's not a perfect course, but it'll have to do.

Dave

onemile

The 5k I'm running this weekend is on a course I've run before. I remember there is a decent sized hill, although I think manageable. My main issue with that last time was that it was 2 loops for a 10k, and hitting the hill the 2nd time was a killer. This discussion however is sort of reminding me that there is also an unpaved portion. Anyway it's not a perfect course, but it'll have to do.

You running 20 the day after?

Zelanie

That's what I'm leaning toward right now.

Except that one starts at 8:30am

You'll be done that much sooner.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The very hilly takes that Bosom Buddy one away.  I still say 2 or 3.  2 sounds better but i don't run in any non asphalt, road/sidewalk ever, so no idea if that crushed path would make me slower.  The last time I ran in crushed limestone was a marathon and the path moved all over being loose gravel.

Damaris

DavePNW

You running 20 the day after?

Ha ha, no. Only 17. I'm tapering, you know.

Dave

Zelanie

The very hilly takes that Bosom Buddy one away.  I still say 2 or 3.  2 sounds better but i don't run in any non asphalt, road/sidewalk ever, so no idea if that crushed path would make me slower.  The last time I ran in crushed limestone was a marathon and the path moved all over being loose gravel.

Loose gravel sucks, but I think I've run on crushed limestone before and liked it.

onemile

Ha ha, no. Only 17. I'm tapering, you know.

I have 15. 

LRB

I have 15. 

There must be a half marathon in your future?