Beginners and Beyond

Pass the bacon (Read 64 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

True, but when I was a kid, coconut oil was the devil.  These new hydrogenated vegetable oils (trans fats) were going to save us all from movie theater popcorn.  Then, there was the "pasta is the healthiest" craze.  Then, "high protein is for super heros".  It goes on and on and on, but I still believe reasonable amounts of meats, veggies, fruits and grains will usually leave you fairly healthy.

Nothing changes.  It's just that lots of people design crappy studies and then think it proves something when it doesn't.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

True, but when I was a kid, coconut oil was the devil.  These new hydrogenated vegetable oils (trans fats) were going to save us all from movie theater popcorn.  Then, there was the "pasta is the healthiest" craze.  Then, "high protein is for super heros".  It goes on and on and on, but I still believe reasonable amounts of meats, veggies, fruits and grains will usually leave you fairly healthy.

Yeah, that's true.  But I think that's mostly because people love the latest fads.

From the science side, single studies rarely move the needle much.  Even if the media loves to report on them.

happylily

I can't wait til the day that I die. Living is just too friggin' complicated nowadays...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

I can't wait til the day that I die. Living is just too friggin' complicated nowadays...

You can't eat protein but you can eat fat.  This is what I've learned this week. Big grin

Pass the olive oil!

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Cool. Doesn't affect me, I decided long ago that if bacon was going to kill me, I'd just have to die young. It's possible I would be healthier as a vegetarian/vegan/whateveran. But F that, my friends. If Mother Nature didn't intend for us to eat animals, she wouldn't have constructed them out of delicious meat, amirite?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sure, it would be pointless for a doctor to change his mind with every study. lol

That said, there's a good deal of evidence and the American Heart Association is taking notice, so I have to wonder if things will change soon (soon being relative to how fast things things actually do change, of course).

I don't condone the binging on bacon, in either case.

The AHA is slow on change.  For example, hubby's BFF is a cardiologist and still wants me to take ABx before dental cleanings for my murmur even though it's been proven for decades it is not necessary.

He also says running lowers your resting HR and that is dangerous.  LOL.

Damaris

LRB

Okay, that was funnier than shit.  Totally caught me off guard!  lol

You can't eat protein but you can eat fat.  This is what I've learned this week. Big grin

Pass the olive oil!

Whale blubber, please!  ( I can heat the house and stay fed!)

LRB

If Mother Nature didn't intend for us to eat animals, she wouldn't have constructed them out of delicious meat, amirite?

This thread is full of laughs!  lol

And eating vegetarian is not automatic for healthy.  Like anything else, it depends on the person.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This thread is full of laughs!  lol

And eating vegetarian is not automatic for healthy.  Like anything else, it depends on the person.

Very true.

I was a vegetarian (for asthma reasons and it worked great) for close to two years and never wanted to eat bacon.  Now bacon is all I want (now that I eat meat).  I blame YOU PEOPLE.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Whale blubber, please!  ( I can heat the house and stay fed!)

Love the Half

Shit.  That was funny.  I actually did laugh out loud.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Walk-Jogger

Pass the olive oil!

And sugar is evil.  I've eaten a ton of it in my life and still do, so apparently I like to spit in evil's face . . . 

Retired &  Loving It

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So...we should eat a low carb, low fat, low protein diet, or we should eat a high carb, high fat, high protein diet.
                              Damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Therefore I eat what I please. Bring on the bacon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Will run for scenery.

I read a book by Gary Taubes (Good Calories, Bad Calories) that changed my thinking about fat, and about medical science.

Besides a detailed explanation of the how the "fat is bad" consensus came to be (some seriously flawed research, bolstered by individual egos and administrative inertia) he points out the extent to which heart disease in traditional cultures is linked to the appearance of cheap, available carbs brought on by contact with modern Western society.  Pre-contact eskimos lived pretty well eating mostly  fish, meat and blubber - essentially no vegetables or grains.  When carbs became available, their health suffered markedly.

In my case, I went from being obese and pre-diabetic to fit and almost normal weight largely by cutting back on carbs,  and exercising.  I actually increased my bacon intake!  When my doc saw my (much improved) new bloodwork numbers he was pretty startled. He kept saying it just didn't make sense, that that's the kind of change you only see when the lab gets their samples mixed up.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!