Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

While on the bike, watched ESPN 30 by 30 Dennis Rodman - pretty interesting, especially for Detroit Pistons fans who remember him when he first came into the league. Quite a personality change over his career!

Yeah, Rodman was something else. When I lived in B'ham, Jud Buechler (remember him?) was renting a place a few houses down from me while he was playing with the Pistons. He and his wife were pretty cool, we had kids around the same age, and we got somewhat friendly with them. He was previously with the Bulls, during the years of their second three-peat, which included Jordan, Pippen, & Rodman. He had some stories.

Dave

onemile

I ran nearly 8

Runshortii

I ran 5 and did  45 minutes of weights. Heel was slightly cranky by the end of the run, but this is the first time I’ve strung together 4 days in a row in a long time so I’ll take it

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Yeah, Rodman was something else. When I lived in B'ham, Jud Buechler (remember him?) was renting a place a few houses down from me while he was playing with the Pistons. He and his wife were pretty cool, we had kids around the same age, and we got somewhat friendly with them. He was previously with the Bulls, during the years of their second three-peat, which included Jordan, Pippen, & Rodman. He had some stories.

I remember that name. Pretty cool to have a professional athlete in the neighborhood.

DavePNW

I remember that name. Pretty cool to have a professional athlete in the neighborhood.

It was! He was a journeyman benchwarmer, but still.

Later on (2005-2015), I lived in Novi/Northville area. For whatever reason, all the Swedes on the Red Wings lived in that area, although I did not realize it at first. The day after one of their Stanley Cup championships, my daughter (middle school at the time) texted me "the Stanley Cup is at school". I didn't know what she meant, assumed they were just having some kind of celebration. But then she wrote "this kid in my class's dad is the captain". Sure enough, she was classmates with Nik Lidstrom's son; Nik got to take the cup home first, and brought it to his kid's school the morning after winning it on the road. They apparently parked it in the auditorium and gave all the kids a chance to go see it.

Dave

Cyberic

Later on (2005-2015), I lived in Novi/Northville area. For whatever reason, all the Swedes on the Red Wings lived in that area, although I did not realize it at first. The day after one of their Stanley Cup championships, my daughter (middle school at the time) texted me "the Stanley Cup is at school". I didn't know what she meant, assumed they were just having some kind of celebration. But then she wrote "this kid in my class's dad is the captain". Sure enough, she was classmates with Nik Lidstrom's son; Nik got to take the cup home first, and brought it to his kid's school the morning after winning it on the road. They apparently parked it in the auditorium and gave all the kids a chance to go see it.

Now THAT is a nice story ! Big grin

delicate flower

I ran 6.9 hilly miles in some gorgeous late summer weather.

<3

delicate flower

Nik Lidstrom

GOAT defenseman.

<3

Evidently we have pneumonia circulating in our parts. Whiskers and HC, take care of yourselves!

Daffy, I think you asked yesterday what exercises my PT has me doing. She has me doing a couple different things:

For firing up the glutes/hips:

-Hip bridges (both with both legs, and also single legs, focusing on engaging the core (belly button drawn in), and hips aligned))

-Wall runners (both hands on wall, right knee bent and closer to the wall, with left leg extended back...then drive up left leg into a knee drive, focusing on using glutes to drive up knee...then hold, and repeat)

-leg flossing (the exercise LRB posted for Wolvmar)

-RDL's

For strengthening hips/glutes 2 sets of 15-20 for all:

-weighted squats (again, focusing on form and using glutes to drive up)

-using big ball, laying down, but having heels on the ball, and using glutes & hamstrings do a bridge (straight leg, not bent)

-rear lunge, with a knee drive, focusing on form (knees over pinky toes, belly in, etc.)

-planks & side planks

-ladder, lateral band walks (band around ankles, mini squat position, then step 1 step to the left, 1 step to the right, then 2 steps to the left, 2 steps to the right, all the way up to 8).

The goal is to do the strengthening exercises 2x/wk, and the "firing up" exercises most days (aka 4-5 days per week).

she also said to make sure to keep a log, and monitor how hammy is feeling all the time. It needs to stay at a pain level of 4 or below, and it's okay for it to get to a 4, b/c you do want to adequately stress the tendon. Just not too much. I will also say that, for me at least, getting an adjustment from my chiropractor (for my hips) played a HUGE role in how my hammies are feeling. My pelvis was off and was pulling on my hamstrings, causing more pain & discomfort.

I ran 7.4 miles. Legs didn't feel great for the run, but what do you do? It's also 2nd summer. Or something. Humid and warm, ew.

Thanks.  Thing for me to consider in the future.   My pt didn't assign much but my problems different, all fascia and adhesions.  I had seen stuff about pelvic tilt and the hams.  If I had a penny for every search and article I’ve read on hams I could by a Bugatti

LRB

Anticipation? Excitement? Fear? All those answers and much more?

No, mostly fear. lol

LRB

Nice. Meanwhile in my neighborhood, I had Eddie P who could break dance, thousand island Mike who put thousand island dressing on everything, and TB3 (T bone the terrible), who once ran through the glass door of a supermarket on a dare.  

LRB

I ran 6.9 hilly miles in some gorgeous late summer weather.

Has your coach set your goal for space coast yet?

LRB

Thanks.  Thing for me to consider in the future.   My pt didn't assign much but my problems different, all fascia and adhesions.  I had seen stuff about pelvic tilt and the hams.  If I had a penny for every search and article I’ve read on hams I could by a Bugatti

You should be an expert on the subject then. Do you ever run or walk backwards or stretch your quads?

DavePNW

Nice. Meanwhile in my neighborhood, I had Eddie P who could break dance, thousand island Mike who put thousand island dressing on everything, and TB3 (T bone the terrible), who once ran through the glass door of a supermarket on a dare.  

LOL this sounds like a scene from Goodfellas.

Dave

LRB

I ran nearly 8

The progress you've made with mile repeats the past couple of years is impressive. Lots and lots of crooked numbers there.