Beginners and Beyond

What up WednesDAILIES (Read 23 times)

RunningOnSand

I ran 5 this morning in 63 degrees and a breeze weather.  It was lovely.

Howdy! Are you still using your Apple Watch? if so, how do you like it?

RunningOnSand

Glad to see you back here more regularly! and running again! I think I'm a week away from getting out The Vest.

Thanks! I'm really trying to get my groove back. Once you get out for a sustained time, it's hard to reenter. Or at least it has been for me. How's your recovery been? Sounds like there are still some cardiovascular effects?

RunningOnSand

'Morning, ROS and all comers to this here dailies!  I hit the track early for a one hour workout.  10 x 800 tempo/400 easy.  The 800's ended up being progressive due to my lack of warm up.  Averaged about a 6:50 pace on those once I got going.  Good run for an early morning workout.

I am not sure if these numbers are rolling PR's for me, but I can't imagine I've done much more than this at any point during my running history.  Sure some of YOU PEOPLE drop numbers like this all time, but this is new to me...

Nice!!

RunningOnSand

Cyberic

With covid, the mask I carry will also serve that role in an amergency.

My likes this post! 

Cyberic

Baboon, nice miles!

KCRuns

Howdy! Are you still using your Apple Watch? if so, how do you like it?

Yes, I am, and I really like it.  I use the native running app for most runs and swimming, and the WorkOutDoors app for any speed work (which I've all but abandoned lately anyway).  The mile markers hit in the same spots as my Garmin.  I've run up to 18 miles with it so far (and I'm super slow so that's a really long time) and I've not had any battery issues.

My only real hurdle in the beginning was that Apple doesn't integrate with my log on this website.  It was an easy $10 solution though.  I set up Run Gap on my phone.  It imports my runs from the Apple Watch and then pushes them out to Garmin, which is integrated with this website, so Garmin pushes it to my log here.  It requires opening another app when I'm done with my run, but I just have to pull down to refresh the screen and then it's done, so it's really easy.

For running, it still gives pace breakdown by mile, the gps map, temperature, etc., and for swimming it tells me how many laps I swam by stroke, which was nice to see and more than my Garmin watch did for swimming.

RunningOnSand

Yes, I am, and I really like it.  I use the native running app for most runs and swimming, and the WorkOutDoors app for any speed work (which I've all but abandoned lately anyway).  The mile markers hit in the same spots as my Garmin.  I've run up to 18 miles with it so far (and I'm super slow so that's a really long time) and I've not had any battery issues.

My only real hurdle in the beginning was that Apple doesn't integrate with my log on this website.  It was an easy $10 solution though.  I set up Run Gap on my phone.  It imports my runs from the Apple Watch and then pushes them out to Garmin, which is integrated with this website, so Garmin pushes it to my log here.  It requires opening another app when I'm done with my run, but I just have to pull down to refresh the screen and then it's done, so it's really easy.

For running, it still gives pace breakdown by mile, the gps map, temperature, etc., and for swimming it tells me how many laps I swam by stroke, which was nice to see and more than my Garmin watch did for swimming.

Excellent! I'm taking notes as I read your response. thank you!

sdWhiskers

Thanks! I'm really trying to get my groove back. Once you get out for a sustained time, it's hard to reenter. Or at least it has been for me. How's your recovery been? Sounds like there are still some cardiovascular effects?

Slow but nothing disastrous. I don't normally track RHR so not sure if that's been affected. I'm running ~1 min/mi slower than normal easy and my HR is still 10-30 bpm higher than before Covid. Just trying to slowly build back up mileage, ignoring fast or hilly running for now. Still dealing with a daily headache.

San Diego RnR is scheduled for late Oct. I'm signed up for the marathon (rescheduled several times from May 2020) but was thinking of dropping to the HM before getting sick. Then thought I'd just DNF altogether while sick. But now I'm considering maybe doing the HM. Can I get up to 13 miles in 6 weeks? I think so, LR is currently 6-7 mi.  All emails point to the race still going ahead even though the 70F expected temp at the race start is yucky. Can't be any worse than my last one, right?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Slow but nothing disastrous. I don't normally track RHR so not sure if that's been affected. I'm running ~1 min/mi slower than normal easy and my HR is still 10-30 bpm higher than before Covid. Just trying to slowly build back up mileage, ignoring fast or hilly running for now. Still dealing with a daily headache.

San Diego RnR is scheduled for late Oct. I'm signed up for the marathon (rescheduled several times from May 2020) but was thinking of dropping to the HM before getting sick. Then thought I'd just DNF altogether while sick. But now I'm considering maybe doing the HM. Can I get up to 13 miles in 6 weeks? I think so, LR is currently 6-7 mi.  All emails point to the race still going ahead even though the 70F expected temp at the race start is yucky. Can't be any worse than my last one, right?

Ugh, that must be horrible. Sad

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Ugh, that must be horrible. Sad

And decently bad today Sad  I'm someone who very rarely takes Tylenol/Advil and it's been nonstop for the past month.

On the positive side, I can taste peanut butter again!

DavePNW

Well I guess it depends how badly you want to get back into a race environment. It won’t be a fast race due to your recovery and the heat, but you can just jog it and I’m sure you’ll finish. And yeah not likely as bad as last time. Although I’d be prepared to shut it down early—who knows what effect the residual COVID will have. On the plus side, you’ll be in a big crowd but seems less likely you’ll catch COVID again.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

And decently bad today Sad  I'm someone who very rarely takes Tylenol/Advil and it's been nonstop for the past month.

On the positive side, I can taste peanut butter again!

as someone who is addicted to peanut butter, this woudl be very important!

RunningOnSand

Glad that it isn't anything horrendous, but the higher HR and daily headache still sounds sucky. I felt like it took a hot second before my runs felt more normal, when I was running post covid.

And yeah I remember reading about your last HM--that sounded so brutal. I know some people like to race b/c of the environment and it's fun. Others like to race to work on improving time--do you have an idea about what about doing San Diego RnR appeals to you? (and that may sound snarky--it's not meant to be at all.)

RunningOnSand

as someone who is addicted to peanut butter, this woudl be very important!

Word.