Beginners and Beyond

"Throwaway" clothes... (Read 131 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I am such a rookie. I didn't even consider yard sales. Walmart should also do the trick but first I will check the closet. I am thinking a sweatshirt to ditch at the start, a long sleeve tech shirt to ditch when I want, and my usual shirt to the finish. I will likely wear my disgusting, salt stained, sticky Brooks running hat.  Thanks everyone.

hog: medium or large, depending on the brand. Wink

Ric-G

Garbage bag is old faithful. It was pretty dang cold at the start of st. george. the bag did the trick. was not going to run in it and cast it aside in the first few meters. if not a bag, definitely get thrift store type gloves...thrashed sweatshirt type stuff. you never conditions at the start especially at higher elevation. so pack the stuff and hopefully you won't need all of it. good luck.

I wore a garbage bag in the poring rain once before a race. Unfortunately I couldn't run in it.

marathon pr - 3:16

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Play it by ear as last years Tucson Marathon wasnt that cold. I simply wore a sweatshirt while waiting and dropped it in the drop bus right before the start.

You people have issues 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Play it by ear as last years Tucson Marathon wasnt that cold. I simply wore a sweatshirt while waiting and dropped it in the drop bus right before the start.

That's good to know. Are you running in it this year?

aponi

never runs the tangents

There's probably a laundromat somewhere maybe at an apartment complex where people don't keep that close of an eye on things.

kidding

how about old navy?

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

That's good to know. Are you running in it this year?

I'm registered but due to injury I'm not running it.  Careful not to blow up the quads in the first 10 miles.

You people have issues 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oh, bummer. I will be there for two nights if you want to FE. You can join me on my carb load if you want.  That is one crazy downhill so I know what you mean about the quads. I have been doing some downhill runs to prepare.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Oh, bummer. I will be there for two nights if you want to FE. You can join me on my carb load if you want.  That is one crazy downhill so I know what you mean about the quads. I have been doing some downhill runs to prepare.

I'm actually in the Phoenix area.

You people have issues 

adkkev

so y'all just throw this clothing wherever on the course/trail & expect others to pick up after you?

just wondering ...

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

so y'all just throw this clothing wherever on the course/trail & expect others to pick up after you?

just wondering ...

Normally you toss clothing to the sides at the start line or at aid stations. My first and only one allowed this practice and it was even encouraged.

- Andrew

RSX

just wondering ...

In the Boston Marathon clothes left at the start are said to be donated. If you run in a shirt you plan on throwing after the start, toss it to a kid. My kids used to get a kick out of that.

You Rang?

In the Boston Marathon clothes left at the start are said to be donated. If you run in a shirt you plan on throwing after the start, toss it to a kid. My kids used to get a kick out of that.

Most races I've run state that the clothing discarded in the first two miles is collected and donated back to the place that you got the clothing... the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

In Michigan, any article of clothing left along the course is donated to charity at most events.  This practice is made clear by event organizers and I would imagine encouraged, since it is not discouraged.  Otherwise, one would simply toss their garment in the trash at an aid station.

Hip Redux

Most races I've run state that the clothing discarded in the first two miles is collected and donated back to the place that you got the clothing... the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Rick

Yep, this was the case at the races I've been at too!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I did once see a big box in someone's driveway that had a sign on it that said any clothing dumped in the box would be at the finish line at such and such a time. I thought it was nice of them.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who